Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods have you broken up with?

I love this thread!! Can anyone else also eat a food only once?

I no longer crave or like sweet things (yoghurt, over night coats, honey, etc). I also immediately stop eating if I dont love the taste of something. I wish I could say it’s because of discipline or at least a conscious decision but it’s not. The moment I taste something that I either dont like or just dont care for that much I immediately lose my appetite. That’s completely new!!!

The strangest thing I noticed though is that I can’t eat things more than once in a row. For example: I made bean Soup and had so much left over that I planned on eating it throughout the next week. The first time I had it it tasted so so good. The second time it made me naseous (so I stopped) and the third time just the smell alone made me nearly 🤢. Same thing with other foods.

Oh! And I HATE garlic!!! So weird! Used to love it and put it in pretty much anything.

My sense of smell also seems heightened and sensitive. So much has changed!

11 minutes ago, Arancini said:

I no longer crave or like sweet things (yoghurt, over night coats, honey, etc). I also immediately stop eating if I dont love the taste of something. I wish I could say it’s because of discipline or at least a conscious decision but it’s not. The moment I taste something that I either dont like or just dont care for that much I immediately lose my appetite. That’s completely new!!!

The strangest thing I noticed though is that I can’t eat things more than once in a row. For example: I made bean Soup and had so much left over that I planned on eating it throughout the next week. The first time I had it it tasted so so good. The second time it made me naseous (so I stopped) and the third time just the smell alone made me nearly 🤢. Same thing with other foods.

Oh! And I HATE garlic!!! So weird! Used to love it and put it in pretty much anything.

Yes there have been a few things that one day it will be yummo then when i eat it again its yuck.sense of smell has also heightened for me. I use to love spicy foods now not so much. Frozen meals are a big turn off for me too which is a nuisance because i rely on them for work 🤔 and yes i have to really like something or i cant eat it

The strangest thing I noticed though is that I can’t eat things more than once in a row. For example: I made bean Soup and had so much left over that I planned on eating it throughout the next week. The first time I had it it tasted so so good. The second time it made me naseous (so I stopped) and the third time just the smell alone made me nearly [emoji1785]. Same thing with other foods.

Same! My husband gets so aggravated with me because I waste so much food. I can only eat a small portion and then save the rest for later, but never want to eat it again. And I'll go through phases. All I wanted for about a month was eggs, now I can't stand them. I feel like this is similar to when I was pregnant, lol. Weird food cravings and weird food aversions.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I wish i could break up with food. I'm almost 2 weeks post RYGBP and i find myself having cravings that ive never had before. Im craving all kinds of unhealthy food like french fries, fast food, Pasta, candy, etc. i did not have these cravings pre op and it was always fairly easy to avoid these types of pitfalls. Im not saying i ate perfectly pre op but Portion Control was my biggest downfall, not necessarily what was being consumed. i haven't lost my taste for anything apparently. I haven't given in and tried all things i want because im still so soon post op but i hope this stops quickly because its really hard to have a Protein Shake when all i want are french fries. Anybody know of french fry flavored Protein Shakes? Lol
how long did it take for people's taste to change?

9 minutes ago, Ltdanfan said:

I wish i could break up with food. I'm almost 2 weeks post RYGBP and i find myself having cravings that ive never had before. Im craving all kinds of unhealthy food like french fries, fast food, Pasta, candy, etc. i did not have these cravings pre op and it was always fairly easy to avoid these types of pitfalls. Im not saying i ate perfectly pre op but Portion Control was my biggest downfall, not necessarily what was being consumed. i haven't lost my taste for anything apparently. I haven't given in and tried all things i want because im still so soon post op but i hope this stops quickly because its really hard to have a Protein Shake when all i want are french fries. Anybody know of french fry flavored Protein Shakes? Lol
how long did it take for people's taste to change?

you could try what I did, just lick a chip (french fries) :) to get the taste in your mouth without eating it

I thought about that but im afraid that ill “accidentally” chew it and swallow it then want more. I can wait out the cravings, its just frustrating that i have them. I wish i had more of an aversion to eating. Or at least eating certain things. Im worried that as i heal, it will be harder and harder to stick to a diet.

9 minutes ago, Ltdanfan said:

I thought about that but im afraid that ill “accidentally” chew it and swallow it then want more. I can wait out the cravings, its just frustrating that i have them. I wish i had more of an aversion to eating. Or at least eating certain things. Im worried that as i heal, it will be harder and harder to stick to a diet.

I thought the same but it is much easier than I thought. I think you do have to allow yourself to have what you crave every now and then other wise you will drive yourself crazy and binge. For example I allow myself a coke and chocolate every other day (small portions) and last week I wanted it everyday but this week I have have only fleeting thoughts about consuming those foods/drinks and not had any. once you get into the habit of making better choices it gets easier.

Ltdanfan I tried the French fries and they sat like a rock in my belly for a week. Three French fries were so painful I avoid them like the plague!

Perhaps i just need to wait until im on solid food then i can learn the hard way. Its like all this thinking about what i cant eat and all the things i see that i should avoid have given me an obsession with food that ive never had before. Pre op, i hardly thought about food unless i was hungry or it was right in front of me. Now it seems thats ALL i think about.

On 2/27/2022 at 12:53 AM, Ltdanfan said:

Perhaps i just need to wait until im on solid food then i can learn the hard way. Its like all this thinking about what i cant eat and all the things i see that i should avoid have given me an obsession with food that ive never had before. Pre op, i hardly thought about food unless i was hungry or it was right in front of me. Now it seems thats ALL i think about.

That’ll fade! Im only 5 months out and all my “early stage” cravings are completely gone. The first 4-8 weeks I felt devastated because I was convinced my surgery “didnt work”. I was craving food CONSTANTLY, being obsessed with watching tiktok junk food compilations and wanting to eat so bad. I havent had junk food or what we typically would consider “bad” food but I have had pieces of food I had glorified in those weeks (guacamole, fried egg, chocolate Protein yoghurt) and I hated it. Your taste buds change. Your priorities change (because you know you can only take a few bites). And ultimately you change. It’s hard to believe now (and when people told me “back then” I wasn’t convinced either. I thought “yeah yeah except I’m different!”. But here I am now writing this) but trust me. Hang in there. Sit it out. Stick to your diet. Trust the process. I have faith in you!

Gonna have to add "creamy" food to my no-fly list. It started early on with coconut yoghurt, being too rich for me, and has since morphed into any form of coconut, and taken Mayonnaise and anything else with a fatty, creamy consistency with it.

Vegan Kewpie mayo on our favourite asian faux-chicken was a pre-op fave of both myself and my partner, but now I can't do either, and definitely not together! My partner gets to eat all that on his own.

I also don't love bananas like I did. I can eat half a small one, but I don't get the same pleasure from it, and they can't be too ripe. Now I only eat the occasional bit for the potassium.

I wish I could divorce Cookies. Seriously, they're mean to me. They make me break out in fat. 😀 My stomach post-sleeve can't stand potatoes or Pasta more than a spoonful or fork full.

I was sleeved in 2019; Since surgery, I cringe at anything too sweet.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, GradyCat said:

I wish I could divorce Cookies. Seriously, they're mean to me. They make me break out in fat. 😀 My stomach post-sleeve can't stand potatoes or Pasta more than a spoonful or fork full.

I make the Peanut Butter "cookies". Peanut butter, an egg, and sweetener (I use honey, and only half the called for amount). Google any 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe. Easy to just grab one or two as a snack. Satisfies the craving, and the craving goes away eventually.