Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water water water

I think you just have to go at the pace you heal. I was able to go from sips, to mouthfuls within about two weeks post surgery, and while I'm nowhere near guzzling a glass, at 6 weeks post I can now easily gulp three good mouthfuls at a time, which puts me at about 50 ounces per day. Increasing a little each day helped me.

Little & often. I still can’t guzzle 2.5years out but that’s me. Two swallows & then I have to wait. I have a bottle of Water beside my bed & I take a drink every time I wake. I have a bottle in my car - drink when I get in, drink when I get out, drink at every red light, drink every time I overtake a vehicle on the highway, etc. Every little bit helps. Personally I find it easier to drink from a glass than a bottle so I usually have a large glass beside me all day. I also mix it up with fluids: still water, sparkling water gone totally flat, green tea. I used to also sip drinking yoghurt (but they don’t make the high Protein, low fat, low sugar one I used to drink anymore - grrr!). I also make my rolled oats on milk every day - extra milky - so I get 15g protein & more than 300mls (about 10oz) Fluid - a double win. It all counts.

It does get better, and some people can guzzle and others can't. I can finish a 500 ml bottle in about 10 minutes, and that's a little less than two months post-op. I get about 90 ounces a day (or whatever 2500 ml is because I do not understand that conversion), not including my Protein Shake that I consume every morning.

I've found bottles with "sports tops" make it easier for me to reliably make tiny sips without feeling like I'm swallowing too much air. I have been finishing 3 750 ml bottles of Water a day since I started using those (even if it's just a Smart water bottle from the gas station that I refill a few times.)

As the others have said, everyone goes at their own pace. I went from barely being able to take a single sip without pain, to being able to take a few mouthfuls at a time. I still can't "chug" but I can take several good sized swallows in one go. I carry a Water bottle with me at ALL times, it goes from room to room, in the car, and to bed on my nightstand. Having it readily available and always in my face keeps it top of mind. I also use various water flavorings when I get tired of plain water. Even a little bit of lemon or lime juice can make enough of a difference to help. Consistency is more important than perfection, just stick with it!

I was able to take pretty big mouthfuls by a few weeks out. But, I don't think it's so much the size of the mouthful as how much you bring the cup/mug/bottle/etc to your lips. I find when I'm at home I'm great about getting my fluids in because I keep it right next to me and pick it up every few minutes. When I'm at the mall or whatever, it's much harder because I hate carrying things (I don't even carry a purse).

I have found since surgery that plain Water just isn't as appealing anymore (I used to love it) and neither is diet soda. I use the Starburst and Great Value brand sugar free drink flavoring packets (like Crystal Light, but I don't like that brand) and instead of adding to 16oz of water I add it to 24 oz of water. I also drink a ton of hot tea. These things help me drink more.

Sipping consistently throughout the day is better than gulping or guzzling. Try adding a sugar-free flavored Water Enhancer to it to encourage you to drink more. They're inexpensive, available in lots of flavor options.

Wow, that means you are only getting 25% of the Water you used to. It must be about convenience and you are only still drinking at the same times you used to but consuming much less at those times. This may sound obvious but you have to drink more often. Find new times that you drink such as while in the car or on the phone or while walking through the neighborhood. Even at night if you get up to pee. Try to start new habits to increase the number of times a day you are drinking.

I find that drinking plain cold Water doesn’t agree with my body, BUT when I warm my water up and make tea, I can get at least 60 oz in a day. Warm liquids go down way better than plain cold water.