Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearing Goal, how to improve weight loss?

Hi

Its been a year since my WLS and I am roughly a stone / 14lbs away from my goal. I have been a slow loser, there are times I have slipped up which lasted for weeks, due to changes in my life.

However when I am consistent about my eating, weight loss widely varies. All I do is make sure I eat around 700 calories a day. The content of the food is mostly carbs / processed food, but it keeps me happy. I dont monitor my Water intake but I do drink alot of tea / coffee. I also dont take Vitamins or supplements as I hate swallowing pills, but I suspect that has an effect on my energy levels.

dinner is my main meal , so doing physical activity before that is difficult.

Also....I know u cant eat and drink at the same time. But for half of the year, I ve not been leaving a 20 min gap between food and drink. Mostly because of time constraints (work) and yeah laziness. This is definetly gonna stretch my stomach inthe long run right?

So any tips to improve weight loss is appreciated, thanks.

As boring as my advice is it has the virtue of being simple and working. Continue on plan. If you are following it well, it will take you to goal. If you are not following it well, then do it well.

Either way, you will reach goal then flow easily into maintenance.

Good luck,

Tek

you really do need to take your Vitamins. Gastric bypass involves malabsorption of nutrients, so you could develop deficiencies over time. Some deficiencies you can recover from, and others not. Taking vitamins for life is part of the deal.

on your other topic, if you stick to your plan, you'll eventually get to your goal. The closer you get to it, the slower the weight loss will be. The last few months I lost like 2 lbs (about a kilo) a month, but I kept at it and the weight loss didn't stop until I was 20 months out.

The rate of your loss isn’t important but looking after your health is. Lacking in energy & being unable to undertake physical activity before your main meal of the day likely is because of your diet & not taking your Vitamins.

I wasn’t eating that many more calories by goal at 6 months & I’m about your height. I struggled with lack of energy for a few months too but it was complicated by low blood pressure & random hypoglycaemic episodes (pre-existing). What helped was eating nutrient dense food - low carbs, low fat: Protein, vegetables, fruit & dairy. It wasn’t so much the number of calories but the quality of the calories I consumed.

The importance of taking vitamins post bypass should have been stressed to you before your surgery. Have you had any blood tests to check you are not lacking in essential vitamins & nutrients & your body is absorbing what you need effectively? Malabsorption issues is a concern with bypass.

Best advice is to stick to your plan. Meet your protein goals. Add Water to your total Fluid intake & meet that goal too. Do you still see your dietician? Have you reflected on your dietary choices & made any changes to what you ate before surgery to what you eat now? And why you ate & made those food choices? And I’m not talking just portion size because you can physically eat more as time progresses & you can eventually stretch your tummy out again if you ignore portion considerations. Many find a therapist helpful when coming to terms with what drives them to eat.

Ultimately, the extent of your success is up to you & your choices. Nothing will change in the long term if you don’t make the changes.

The content of the food is mostly carbs / processed food, but it keeps me happy. I dont monitor my Water intake but I do drink alot of tea / coffee. I also dont take Vitamins or supplements as I hate swallowing pills, but I suspect that has an effect on my energy levels.

It looks like you have already identified the areas to focus on that would be of benefit.

It sounds like you know what you are doing right and what you could improve on. I suggest a Protein Shake in the morning and maybe a P3 or a lunchable at noon if you haven’t tried that to help give you some energy during the day and chewable vitamins by Bariatric Advantage if you hate swallowing pills. Other than that my only advice is to stick to your plan.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I take the Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bites multi and Calcium citrate---they're very palatable, like a Starburst, and come in a ton of flavors. The only drawback is they don't have Iron, but I take a dissolving, easily digestible iron tablet from BariMelts and those are fairly easy to handle and don't upset my tummy.

Give those a shot; you really need to be taking Vitamins, especially iron if you menstruate.

Thanks for the replies. All of your advice is noted :)

Quick update ! I increased my lunch by 100 calories which was a lean meat Protein salad. And wow it made a difference, didnt feel tired or as hungry by the end of work. Gonna look into decent salads and use the energy to do exercise.

I have had a couple of blood tests since WLS and nothing stood out...anyway gonna try again with the Vitamin gummies, melts, patches.... anything is better than nothing I guess.

6 minutes ago, dal101 said:

Thanks for the replies. All of your advice is noted :)

Quick update ! I increased my lunch by 100 calories which was a lean meat Protein salad. And wow it made a difference, didnt feel tired or as hungry by the end of work. Gonna look into decent salads and use the energy to do exercise.

I have had a couple of blood tests since WLS and nothing stood out...anyway gonna try again with the Vitamin gummies, melts, patches.... anything is better than nothing I guess.

Have you tried the chewables that are not gummies. Bariatric Advantage makes a good one. I switched to capsule cause it’s cheaper but they did not upset my stomach at all and Your nutritionist or clinic may have samples. My nutritionist game me samples of the Multivitamin and the Vitamin C chews which are quite tasty (like candy).

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Have you tried the chewables that are not gummies. Bariatric Advantage makes a good one. I switched to capsule cause it’s cheaper but they did not upset my stomach at all and Your nutritionist or clinic may have samples. My nutritionist game me samples of the Multivitamin and the Vitamin C chews which are quite tasty (like candy).

I looked up Bariatric Advantage , it's a bit expensive but looks really good. I am tight on money right now , but good to know what works.