Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sandwiches and chips

1 hour ago, Aymen said:

I sipped Water and it made it worse. I resorted to sticking my fingers down my throat and everything immediately came out and I felt instantly better. The cramping stopped immediately thank goodness.
I’m thirsty but scared to drink Water

Once your heart rate has slowed a little and you've calmed down, drink water very slowly. It will make you feel worlds better. I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks after my surgery and it scared me half to death. The good news is that now that you know what that feels like, it will be easier not to panic.

I hope you feel better!

So glad you’re feeling better. What did you eat that caused that reaction? Maybe start keeping a list of things that don’t settle well so maybe you know to avoid or try again in the future.

Don’t be scared to drink. Just let your stomach settle for a little while. It sounds like you had no room for the Water, and it simply tried to expand your stomach further. Well done for sorting it out - it doesn’t sound like dumping syndrome however, which is the effect of the food being processed in your gut. It sounds like you’d eaten something too indigestible or got a block from the food - maybe not chewed enough, or something clogging together. This is why when you vomited it felt better immediately. After my daughter had her bypass she had a number of times when she ate the wrong thing and it ‘clogged’ and the pain was awful, she said. It put me right off doing that when I had my operation. I have always remembered to stop eating before you feel full, and leave it for a bit to see how well your stomach deals with the food before eating more. Never eat to feel full… Feeling full after bypass or sleeve surgery is NOT a nice feeling at all.

Hi ok that’s fine. I know I’m not supposed to have greggs pasties etc ever but what about the filling? Is melted cheese and onion filling not suitable either. I’m struggling because I genuinely don’t know what I can eat. By Christmas I will be 9 weeks post op- what can I eat at Christmas?

I think maybe you need to talk to your surgical team about a diet sheet and guidance - plus there are posts on here about cook books for bariatric surgery. I suspect a change of food mindset is required - you may have loved Greggs pasties before your surgery, but Greggs pasties maybe have contributed to your problems in the first place - I don’t know. But melted cheese and onion sounds very dense and clogged to me, and not the sort of thing your small stomach will find easy to deal with. I used to love getting a spaghetti bolognese if we were out for a meal and picking the mince and sauce out of the Pasta when I was further down the line - a tiny bit pasta, well chewed, may be fine - but the prize was the Protein and the Tomato sauce… in easily chewable and digestible forms. You started this thread saying you are 9 days post op - you shouldn’t really even be thinking about pasties - please get your surgical team to do their job and give you guidance on what to consume. You are in this for the long hall and you need to take things slowly. All the best.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:52 AM, Aymen said:

I’m struggling because I genuinely don’t know what I can eat. By Christmas I will be 9 weeks post op- what can I eat at Christmas?

There are many bariatric cookbooks available on Amazon and elsewhere. These are some of the ones I've gotten:

Cookbooks.jpg.8ecb8ac0758ec83d36f422b9129f5667.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, ms.sss said:

P.S. For those early in the process, for me it helped to tell myself: “Not right now, but maybe later”; or, “This kinda sucks, but it won’t always be so”. Making peace with the fact that nothing is forever helped with accepting my present circumstance.

I'm on day 7 of my pre-op diet, and that is exactly what got me through day 5 -- which was the first Friday when I couldn't order a pizza/look forward to eating in front of the TV after a week of work. It really helped to remind myself that in just three more weeks I can start having yogurt again, in four more weeks I can go back to having (sf) pudding and applesauce and tuna and steamed veggies (etc.), and by February all dietary restrictions should be lifted. There may well be many foods that I never have again, but that will be by choice.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, Aymen said:

Hi ok that’s fine. I know I’m not supposed to have greggs pasties etc ever but what about the filling? Is melted cheese and onion filling not suitable either. I’m struggling because I genuinely don’t know what I can eat. By Christmas I will be 9 weeks post op- what can I eat at Christmas?

Not much i am sorry to say, I was still having lots of trouble at the nine week mark, I am close to 16 weeks now and still have the occasional hiccup like the other day I had a sip coke that caused me emesis pain when i have drunk it plenty of times before with out an issue ..........go figure. Just take it slow and chew chew chew. You might be trying to much to soon. when introducing foods back into your diet just eat a little bit and see how it goes first

Hi guys, I’m 9 days post op and doing great. I keep down most things. I’m struggling with eggs and getting fluids in.
I’m wondering if I will ever be able to eat fries again? I’m a sandwich lover too so what about bread? Is there Bariatric friendly bread?

also, I’ve gone from 117kg to 101kg in a month but how do I actually lose weight after the bypass? I’m still struggling to walk long distances without feeling dizzy and exhausted

At 9 days post op...you really should be eating eggs. You should really only be on liquids. That's probably why you are struggling so much. Some doctors rush eating too soon, those that go slower with introducing food back in seem to do a lot better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Did your doctor not give you a diet to follow? You really should be eating bland, liquid food right now. 9 weeks post op, there is really nothing at Christmas you should be eating other than mashed potatoes and some sugar free Jello.

1 hour ago, jamashburn said:

At 9 days post op...you really should be eating eggs. You should really only be on liquids. That's probably why you are struggling so much. Some doctors rush eating too soon, those that go slower with introducing food back in seem to do a lot better.

I’m on day 10 post op and I’m following the manual I received from my surgeon like a Bible lol. Can’t wait to have eggs and other puréed foods by Monday (11/22). I ditched the medicine cup though but not rushing when drinking my liquid. I took me at least 3-4 hours to finish an entire bottle but my ending the day with 80 oz. Journaling my intakes and not rushing are working for me. I’m scared of the dumping syndrome also but can be prevented. I have to be mindful and watch my intake.

9 days is scary early for this. I'm 11 days and had my first tablespoon of fat free cottage cheese, chewed to nothing, just now. Many people see surgery as a good place to turn many things in their lives around which is wonderful. But it's for fat loss, nothing else. You can eat "dirty" (hate that word) and do fine. I lost a huge amount of weight and kept it off for 5 years until an unforeseen life event by eating bunless fast food burgers on a salad. It doesn't all have to be tofu and chia pudding. If that's not you it's not you. I'd dump the bread though unless you genuinely love it. Even when I was eating full tilt I used to get lettuce wrapped 5 Guys. Sometimes two of them. Bread and fries were never my bag. But if you really love bread, eat it sometimes. However, not optional: Water, Protein, Vitamins and not drinking during and after you eat. Otherwise this is your life, enjoy it.