Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sandwiches and chips

Hi guys, I’m 9 days post op and doing great. I keep down most things. I’m struggling with eggs and getting fluids in.
I’m wondering if I will ever be able to eat fries again? I’m a sandwich lover too so what about bread? Is there Bariatric friendly bread?

also, I’ve gone from 117kg to 101kg in a month but how do I actually lose weight after the bypass? I’m still struggling to walk long distances without feeling dizzy and exhausted

This is a hard pill to swallow but part of relearning how to eat is going to be rethinking what a "meal" looks like--there are lower-carb breads out there, but when your stomach can only hold 1/4 cup or so for the first while, you're going to want to prioritize things that are higher in Protein and Vitamins than bread. You may find it more productive to find things you like as well as you like sandwiches. Ditto on fries--I don't know that anyone on here will tell you that you can NEVER have them again but for your health, it's important to focus on making sure your meals over the first 6-12 months are protein-dominant and nutrient rich.

I am also a sandwich lover. Here is what I have found (2.5 months post-op).

I have used Sola bread and Orowheat bread for sandwiches. Both are keto-friendly, meaning they are high in Fiber and Protein and low in carbs. The pieces are small, but they are still 60 calories a slice (Orowheat) or 70 cals/slice (Sola), so that is over 100 calories before you put anything in the bread. You will also need to toast the bread because it helps chew it down and regular bread can "ball up" in your stomach and cause problems. If you use toasted bread and use the sandwich as an occasional meal rather than a staple meal, you should be OK.

I did eat some tuna fish sandwiches for lunch, but it was just tuna fish straight out of the foil packet on toasted Orowheat. I went with tuna for the high protein content and Omega 3s.

With fries, moderation will absolutely be key. Can you steal 3 fries off someone's plate and eat them without discomfort or throwing off your diet? Yeah. I wouldn't eat a full compliment of them, both because the grease/oil could cause dumping and a fry doesn't have a ton of nutrition. If you are going to eat potatoes, try to eat them baked/boiled with the skin on, to maximize your nutrients.

Edited by Splenda

Sandwiches in the future are possible but opt for the healthiest wraps or bread. For fries or "fried" foods, I always use my air fryer. For example, last night I made Mr. Tortilla pico de gallo flavor "chips" to eat with salsa. I used 2 tortilla, cut them up, air fried and ate with fresh salsa, total of 35 cals which included salsa. Sometimes I like putting cheese or another Protein source on them.

I didn't eat bread the first year or two after surgery (for the record, I'm 6.5 years out). Now I have it occasionally, but when I do, I usually eat this 35-calorie-a-slice bread I get at Aldi's. A lot of bread products sit in my stomach like a brick, so I can't eat much of them. Plus bread isn't all that nutritious and we have tiny stomachs, so I try to eat mostly nutrition-dense foods to make the most of my stomach space.

I can eat maybe five French fries. I can't tolerate much fat anymore. I didn't eat a fry for at least a year after surgery - maybe two.

for your second question, you'll lose weight because you'll be eating much less than you did before surgery. I used to be able to eat half a large pizza at one sitting. Now I can eat 1-2 pieces at one sitting. Exercise helps somewhat, but I've read in several places that 80-90% of weight loss is due to reduced food intake, not exercise. Of course, exercise is wonderful for you in many ways - it's just not the main factor in weight loss. Diet is.

What I found helpful for me, to be able to change my lifestyle, was to force myself to think of food as a necessity, and not a pleasure. For people like us, food cannot provide entertainment, or emotional support, or pleasure. Not anymore. I know it sounds harsh, but it's the truth. I used to be a lover of bread, cake, sugar, bacon, fat steaks, fries, deep fried chicken, etc... I just had to find other things to love, and "divorce" my first love (food). She was a mean lover, and did bad things to me, so I had to dump her and forget her... 😁

Now I see food as a chore, a necessity, a subsistence issue. Of course my eye wanders if I pass by a fresh donut or a steaming loaf of bread... but I look away and focus on something else. It's hard, it takes time, but it's doable... like most addictions.

If I must eat bread (mostly as a vehicle for something else, like a spread or a turkey patty), I toast one slice of the 647 series breads from Schmidt. It's got 40 calories and plenty of fiber.
https://www.schmidtoldtyme.com/647-bread/

I encourage you to learn how to cook using bariatric recipes and eat according to their food plans. Fries and Sandwiches are not on the plan, although someday you may be able to eat them IN MODERATION. Not now.

There are many bariatric cookbooks available on Amazon and else where, including air fryer and instant pot recipes. Here are a few of those I have obtained. There are many more available.

1942840131_APoundOfCure.jpg.0464c909adbc200a039376baabe5f4fb.jpgCookbooks.jpg.8ecb8ac0758ec83d36f422b9129f5667.jpg

I really liked bread too & I had access to a lot of really damn tasty artisanal bakeries. But I don’t eat bread any more. It tends to sit heavily in my tummy. Last time I tried was a couple of months ago (a za’tar & garlic flat bread - smelt & tasted divine) but nope not for me. Do I miss it? It may seem strange but not really.

As @dms75 said you develop a different relationship with food. I too look at food as what I need not what I want. I still enjoy it but I don’t find it difficult to choose not to eat certain foods like Desserts, chips, bread, Pasta, rice, etc. Some of these I don’t eat through choice, others because they don’t sit well. You will find some people do eat bread, chips, sweet things once into maintenance. But it is their choice & most seem to seek out healthier, more nutrient dense options (like air fried sweet potato chips, high Protein breads, etc.) & are careful with portions & frequency.

Don’t worry too much about struggling with certain foods like eggs. For most this is a short term difficulty. Your tummy can be a bit fussy for a little while. Try some hydralyte or similar electrolyte drinks to help with energy drops. I carried a bottle with me everywhere for months. It does get easier & you’ll be eating a greater variety of food sooner than you think.

The surgery will get you so far. The rest is up to you & the dietary changes you make. Exercise only accounts for a maximum of 20% of the weight you want to/have to lose. It has other benefits. I’m not an exerciser but I lost all the weight I was to lose plus more because I made changes to what I ate. But the decision as to what you eat & how often you eat it is ultimately up to you. Best advice to gain the most of your surgery while losing is to follow your surgeon’s plan & dietician’s recommendations.

Good luck.

Well said, Arabesque. If we continue eating the foods and Snacks we used to eat or look for Keto snacks (which are heavily processed foods), we are very likely to regain all that has been lost.

Even though "bariatric/keto snacks" and "protein bars" are sold on some bariatric sites does not mean that they are appropriate or good for us. Instead, look to whole foods, healthy foods, while avoiding those that lure us into eating more--sugar, flour, rice, Pasta, processed foods. Read nutrition and ingredients labels like a boss!

Lest you think I'm preaching, I can only tell you that I speak from experience. I've done all these wrong things in the past and paid the price--and I'm still tempted by them.

Homemade fries in an air fryer are pretty good substitute if you eat them right away (they get soggy if not). I have some recipes for using other veggies too that would be even better option since potatoes still aren’t the best option even when air fried. Some Things I have seen used in place of potatoes are asparagus, zucchini and carrots. For sandwiches I’d try out some of the lower carb wraps. It’s the insides that give it the flavor anyways.

The further out I get, the more I adopt the attitude of Never Say Never.

I have regular crap food in my diet. As I do healthier stuff (i love me some salad). I love food and can thoroughly enjoy eating in my much smaller quantities. Balance and Portion Control is key for me.

I started eating bread again (the regular, non-keto, full-everything kind WiITH butter) about 2-ish years post op…and surprise, surprise, I didn’t implode. Warm, fresh bread is THE BEST (my Mr. is the bread whisperer lol). Now, I won’t eat 5 slices anymore, I’ll likely just have 3-4 bites (as it is very filling for me), but still. Other than excess sugar, I can enjoy a wide range of foods with no ill effects nor unintended weight gain.

Im 3 years post op and been maintaining my weight consistently at 115-ish since reaching goal almost 2.5 years ago…non-healthy food choices (with portion control) and all. My most recent labs a couple weeks ago showed once again that i am the picture of health.

I do understand that for some folks, some foods are triggers or potential starts of slippery slopes. I guess just know what your boundaries are and strive to stay within them. You may not be perfect, but u can be perfect ENOUGH.

Indefinite denial and avoidance, especially if it causes you angst is a meltdown waiting to happen.

P.S. For those early in the process, for me it helped to tell myself: “Not right now, but maybe later”; or, “This kinda sucks, but it won’t always be so”. Making peace with the fact that nothing is forever helped with accepting my present circumstance.

and who knows? what u really want today may not even be on ur radar tomorrow or next week or next year. And if it is, you can always have it then.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

Guys HELP I am having severe dumping. I ate something I wasn’t meant to and now I have severe unbearable stomach cramping that won’t go. How do I help this omg I need a hospital

33 minutes ago, Aymen said:

Guys HELP I am having severe dumping. I ate something I wasn’t meant to and now I have severe unbearable stomach cramping that won’t go. How do I help this omg I need a hospital

Walk, walk, walk! Take deep breaths. Try to sip some very cold Water. And of course, if the pain does not subside, call your surgeon pronto! Or go to ER!

I sipped Water and it made it worse. I resorted to sticking my fingers down my throat and everything immediately came out and I felt instantly better. The cramping stopped immediately thank goodness.
I’m thirsty but scared to drink water