Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a traveling job?

1 hour ago, njlimmer said:

I don't travel AT ALL for my job - I'm jelly BTW - but my hubby does. Is there a way that your company can book you into one of those extended stays or something with a kitchenette?

I book my own hotels, but those hotels tend to be not located in the downtown areas where I work. Plus, they have scratchy sheets LOL. I have a mini fridge in a lot of the hotels so I can get things that have to be refrigerated, but I'll have to see if I can find microwaves. I've been looking, but I haven't seen them.

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I was just thinking…just because your room doesn’t have a microwave doesn’t mean there is not a microwave you can use anywhere in the hotel. Many hotels have a Continental Breakfast area that will have a microwave or there may be a break room with one that they don’t mind guests using. You could ask when you check in and if there is one you could go grocery shopping. That may cut down on some of the restaurant foods.

The hotels I stay in tend to have sit down breakfasts, not the grab and go continental breakfasts. I've looked for microwaves in the common areas and haven't seen any. I have tried in the executive lounges, but they don't have them either, and many are still closed due to COVID. I do go grocery shopping but I get sick of cold food.

7 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I book my own hotels, but those hotels tend to be not located in the downtown areas where I work. Plus, they have scratchy sheets LOL. I have a mini fridge in a lot of the hotels so I can get things that have to be refrigerated, but I'll have to see if I can find microwaves. I've been looking, but I haven't seen them.

So you have to choose between scratchy sheets or cold food. I see your dilemma. Lol

25 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

So you have to choose between scratchy sheets or cold food. I see your dilemma. Lol

Well, it wouldn't just be scratchy sheets - there are not usually extended stay hotels near where I work, so I'd have to drive further or spend more on Ubers and get stuck in traffic getting in and out of the city at the beginning and end of the day. No thanks! I'd definitely prefer to have cold food than spend 2 hours sitting in traffic!

I travel at least a week a month. Will typically buy yogurt and hard boiled eggs for breakfasts as well as a case of Water to keep in my hotel room. I will typically go to a Whole Foods or Sprouts and grab something for lunch, shredded chicken, salad with chicken, or other Protein option I can find. I do lots of business dinners and have had great success just talking to the waiter/waitress about what I can eat and find most very accommodating. You just have to get comfortable with speaking up.

Edited by Losefly

37 minutes ago, Losefly said:

I travel at least a week a month. Will typically buy yogurt and hard boiled eggs for breakfasts as well as a case of Water to keep in my hotel room. I will typically go to a Whole Foods or Sprouts and grab something for lunch, shredded chicken, salad with chicken, or other Protein option I can find. I do lots of business dinners and have had great success just talking to the waiter/waitress about what I can eat and find most very accommodating. You just have to get comfortable with speaking up.

I've been pretty successful recently. I go to grocery stores and buy fruit and FF greek yogurt for Breakfast, and often hummus, chicken and veggies for lunch. I'm getting so sick of hummus tho! I am still going out to dinners because it just depresses me to eat the same meat and hummus and veggies for too many meals. I try to order things that are high Protein and low carb, but I often order Pho or some other noodle Soup and eat just the meat, veggies, and broth

I am certainly comfortable with speaking up, but most of the time I can just eat what I want of what I get - like skipping the rice or potatoes. I can eat most things, but I am still having a hard time with lettuce, so if I get like a chicken ceaser salad at the airport I'll just eat the chicken and dip it in the dressing.