Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar cravings and hungry after sleeve

I’m one month post sleeve and lately I have been feeling sugar cravings and feeling more hungry especially at night
The weight is coming off really slowly
Anyone else?
Why is this happening?

I'm sorry you're struggling with these things, but I think this is all completely normal. Some folks who have VSG do not feel hunger for a period of time, but many people do. Neither is right or wrong, its just due to each person's anatomy/surgery/surgeon, etc. Similarly, cravings are completely normal and people feel them to varying degrees at different points in their journey. At one month out, I know your options are limited, but maybe you could find some substitutes? Look for a good Protein powered in a flavor you like, sugar free Jello or popsicles might be a good option, or try a sugar free drink mix (crystal light, mio, etc.).

As for hunger and weight loss, are you hitting your protein and fluid goals? If so, how much of your protein is coming from shakes/powders and how much is coming from food? Following your programs plan, you might want to start aiming to get as much protein as you can from your food intake and slowly decrease the supplements, as they won't fill you up and keep you full nearly as long as more dense protein sources. Additionally, increasing your protein and hitting your Fluid goals can also help with weight loss.

Ultimately, follow your plan and contact your surgeon/dietician if you need additional support. That's what they are they are there for! But you're on the right track and its still super early in your journey. Be patient with yourself and trust the process!

I don't have sugar cravings unless I see some tasty looking treat, but I'm hungry all the time, and have been since a week after surgery. I've tried more Fiber, more fat, more Protein, more liquid... basically the only thing that helps me personally is to drink hot tea with milk or sugar free hot chocolate between meals (usually hot tea).

If you find something that helps, please post it here so maybe I'll find something else to try!!!

I wonder if the cravings, especially sugar, occur in response to the emotional roller coaster of undergoing surgery, the restrictive diet & low calorie intake, etc.? You’re experiencing so many changes that you seek something that likely soothed & comforted you in the past. In times of stress we look to things that are familiar & offer comfort. This is just a thought. We all have different experiences.

@Sleeve me alone! & @lizonaplane have offered some good suggestions that are worth a try. I have found if I feel hungry (head hunger) I make myself wait for 30 minutes & this breaks that craving. I do something to distract myself during that time - read, do a puzzle, fold the laundry, watch something on tv (streamed is best - no ads to further tempt us 😉), etc.

Don’t be too concerned by your rate of weight loss. We all lose at our own rate - some fast, some slow. Many factors influence your rate (age, gender, starting weight, how long you’ve been overweight, genetics, etc.). Every pound you lose is a win.

Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque

I have had more sweet cravings than I ever did pre sleeve as well. Mine are satisfied with fruit though. If it’s really bad I will have strawberries with Splenda on it or apples with cinnamon and Splenda. I guess you can’t have those quite yet but maybe some sugar free applesauce with Splenda added??

My nutritionist recommended something called Sweet Defeat. It is like a mint but makes sweet stuff taste like nothing. I found it helpful when I had a craving. I would have one and if I gave in, there would be no payoff. Because it's like eating cardboard. They helped me immensely. There are some YouTube videos of people trying them. Now I just use them as mints with the added benefit of killing the sweet payoff. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, Chefstomp91 said:

My nutritionist recommended something called Sweet Defeat. It is like a mint but makes sweet stuff taste like nothing. I found it helpful when I had a craving. I would have one and if I gave in, there would be no payoff. Because it's like eating cardboard. They helped me immensely. There are some YouTube videos of people trying them. Now I just use them as mints with the added benefit of killing the sweet payoff. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've never heard of that. I'll have to look it up!

I’m one month post sleeve and lately I have been feeling sugar cravings and feeling more hungry especially at night
The weight is coming off really slowly
Anyone else?
Why is this happening?
My nutritionist told me many times when you think you want to eat you are actually just thirsty, so try drinking more Water (flavored if necessary) and wait 30 minutes like someone else said.
I have surgery Nov 11 and have to admit, I am terribly afraid I will still have the sweet cravings as well. Will have to look into Sweet Defeat!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, lizonaplane said:

I've never heard of that. I'll have to look it up!

I found this on Amazon. There are actually several brands that come up. Let me know if you try it.