Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So was wondering on peoples before sleeve weight and after I weigh 337 and am 5ft 7in my surgeons office told me I'm only expected to lose about 90lbs and that just don't seem ok with me what has everyone experienced with the sleeve?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

235 lbs at the start of my 2 week liquid pre-op diet.

127 lbs at goal 7 months later.

Am 3 yrs post op now and am 115.8 lbs this morning.

P.S. I'm 5'2"

I am 5’8” I was 235 at my highest, 220 after pre op diet and I’m 7 months out now still losing (I hope) at 177 currently.

3 minutes ago, mamapanda727 said:

See they are basically expecting me to be at 253 when I'm done I'm like I'm not ok with that

Well at my last appointment they told me that some people never get out of the obese BMI so my being “overweight” now and nearing “normal weight” is really good. I have done nothing more or less than just following the plan, though. Many people I have heard from on here have far surpassed that 60% of your excess weight statistic.

5'3"

HW - 207lbs

SW - 203lbs

6mos - 131lbs

Goal weight - 125lbs -- but I feel like I'll surpass that...I still have major restrictions and no real hunger.

I have started strength training. Hoping to drop another 10-15 lbs of fat, but gain 5-10lbs of muscle.

4 hours ago, mamapanda727 said:

So was wondering on peoples before sleeve weight and after I weigh 337 and am 5ft 7in my surgeons office told me I'm only expected to lose about 90lbs and that just don't seem ok with me what has everyone experienced with the sleeve?

We're all over the place in terms of how much weight sleevers lose. I really wanted to have the bypass because my research had told me bypass patients tend to lose more. Unfortunately, it was medically contraindicated for me (I got 3 opinions). So I was forced to have the sleeve and really disappointed about it. But as it worked out, I lost all my excess weight. I started at 5'1", 250 pounds, and over two years I got down to 121. I'm right now at 124. I was blessed that my body responded well to the surgery (even 2.5 years later, my appetite is only about 65% of what it was pre-surgery). I was highly motivated and compliant with my eating plan. My surgeon was aggressive and gave me a small sleeve. It all came together and I'm now normal weight for the first time since I was about 8 years old. So it's good to know the statistics, but realize that they are just averages. You can lose more or less than predicted, based on many factors.

I lost 31kg to goal then an additional 11.5 bringing the total to 42.5kg (93.6lbs). I weighed 48.5kgs then & 49kgs now so I have been keeping pretty stable so far but I’ve years ahead of me.

Many surgeons will tell you the weight loss you should expect to lose is the average loss. That is what the average loss is at about 5 years out. This figure is about 65% of the weight you were to lose to be in the healthy BMI range. So if you were to lose 100lbs to put you in the healthy BMI range the average loss at the 5 yrs mark would be about 65lbs. Of course this does not mean this is where you’ll be. Some exceed this some don’t. Years 2 & 3 post surgery are quite notorious for a 10lb+/- regain. Some because of complacency, some personal choice to better complement their lifestyle.

The surgery will help you get so far. The rest is up to you. As long as what you chose to do re eating habits & activity levels are sustainable & not restrictive, you’re happy & healthy, the actual number on the scale doesn’t matter that much.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I'm just over a year out and about 10lbs from my initial goal. I think the "problem" with the sleeve is that most of us are able to eat anything/everything that we CHOOSE to eat after we recover from the surgery itself. You CAN outeat the sleeve. Trust me, I just did it on a cruise. However, I'm committed to MY plan and after a 3lb gain (I didn't bother to track or count calories on the cruise and fully expected a gain) I came home and went back to my new normal of eating. In 3 days, I've already lost that weight. Alternately, I could have come home and continued the things I was doing on the ship (eating like garbage and drinking my liver into a stupor). My guess (somewhat based on personal experience) is that many *certainly not all* people simply go back to back habits because they get complacent (been there, done that). It's really your choice in how you respond to the surgery - It's a tool and how YOU choose to use it is up to YOU.

12 hours ago, mamapanda727 said:

See they are basically expecting me to be at 253 when I'm done I'm like I'm not ok with that

You have to understand that they are giving your worst case scenarios because some people simply do not motivate themselves and stick to the program. You have the potential to lose a lot more depending on YOU. If you follow the program to the T, exercise more than you ever have, count your calories and eat the right foods, you can lose a LOT more. If they say you can lose 200 pounds and you do not follow the guidelines, then you are angry at them. There is a touch of reality here that you have to understand. The extent of the weight loss depends more on YOU and YOUR actions to use the tool they created for you and use it properly. Remember, your surgery is a tool and you have to do other things to make the tool work more efficiently for you. If you do not properly use the tool you will not get the most out of it. They are just trying to keep your expectations realistic.

Some really great responses on this thread. At the end of the day, the sleeve is a tool. It is possible to lose all your excess weight (plus more) and it is possible to lose very little, or even regain. It is all about how the tool is used, and the person who has control over that is you. Some people lose fast, some people lose slow, but again, we have lots of slow losers on this board who have hit goal, but they had to persevere in using the tool and staying focused on their goal.

they usually quote you the statistical average, because *statistically*, that's where most people end up. And as with any statistic, you'll always find people who lose more or less than the average. Some people end up losing 90% or 100% of their excess weight, and some people only lose 30 or 40 lbs and/or gain all their weight back. Like some others have said, WLS is just a tool - and your success depends on how you use it. If you're really committed and follow your program to a "T", you're likely to lose a lot more than what you were quoted. You'll find lots of examples of that here on this site.

I started at 339 at 5’10. Sleeved last November. Best case scenarios for me showed me getting to above 200, 230, around that range. I’m currently at 170 and I’m still losing.

Statistics are just numbers. You’re a person, so you control if you do better or worse.

Hello! I'm 5 feet tall and started out at 250. I'm 2 and 1/2 years out from surgery and I currently weigh about 122 pounds. No real advice about sagging skin, there's really no avoiding it. If you're younger, your skin may be more elastic and less saggy. Adding muscle will make you look more toned, but sagging skin can only really be removed via surgery. I just had a Tummy Tuck to deal with all the skin on my stomach. But I'm fine with the loose skin I have, I wouldn't take back the 130 pounds I have lost!