Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet Woes

Hi everyone! I am having surgery in exactly one week from today (Nov. 2) and I couldn't be more excited. However, I am one week in on my pre-op liquid diet and I am crashing... bad.

I can't even stomach food anymore. I get approx. 300 calories a day from Protein Shakes, and even that leaves me nauseous. I feel super dizzy and exhausted all the time. I am so sick of broth and shakes!

Any advice on new "liquid" foods to try? Or even how to manage this stage? So far I've had: broth, Protein shakes/powder, skim milk, sugar-free Jello, and baby food once (🤢). I know I will probably have to just tough it out, but it can't hurt to try to get some new meal ideas, right? 🤷‍♀️

I am going through this process completely alone, so if anyone is currently dealing with the same issues right now, I would love to hear about your experiences!

Edited by samjourney

Obviously you should be talking to your medical team. Most of us were not on a completely liquid pre op diet and were able to have some lean Protein One meal a day. It sounds like you are not getting nearly enough calories.

I had a one week liquid diet before surgery where I could only have shakes/broth/water and I feel your pain ☹️ I would definitely contact your medical team to see if there’s anything you can have that will help.
I was quite dizzy and out of it too by the end of it, and someone told me to just have some salt (what I did was lick my hand and sprinkle some like doing a tequila shot) and that did help the nausea and feeling like I was going to pass out any minute. But I really don’t know if that would be okay for you to try as some people need to be careful with salt!
Take good care of yourself, drink plenty of Water and rest! 🤗

I had a two week liquid diet without a lean meal so I feel you!! I tracked mine in my fit pal because I was supposed to get 750-900 calories a day and I wasn't even clearing 500 with 3 shakes a day plus Soup. After talking to my nutritionist, I started making my own shakes in the morning with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Somedays it was almond milk, chocolate Protein Powder and PB2 powder. Other days it was almond milk, vanilla Protein powder and frozen fruit. The almond milk really helped to bulk it up with some extra calories and it was super helpful.

Some of this you DO just have to tough out. Your body is going WTF! Where's my goodies?!!! But you are stronger than that. If you do "mess up" just shake it off and move on. Don't fall into a guilt spiral. I'm really bad about that and then one little slip becomes the whole house on fire.

You can do this!

I am one week into the liquid diet. My dr. allows:

• Protein Shakes,
  • greek yougurt (sugar free, fat free),
  • Soup (chicken, non-starchy vegetables), but the soup has to be liquified (no solids / chunks)..
  • sugar free popsicles, pudding / Jello.
  • Natural apple sauce and
  • vegetable juice.

I am doing between 600-800 cals/day. You should definitely talk to your medical team and ask them what else you can eat.

5 hours ago, samjourney said:

Hi everyone! I am having surgery in exactly one week from today (Nov. 2) and I couldn't be more excited. However, I am one week in on my pre-op liquid diet and I am crashing... bad.

I can't even stomach food anymore. I get approx. 300 calories a day from Protein Shakes, and even that leaves me nauseous. I feel super dizzy and exhausted all the time. I am so sick of broth and shakes!

Any advice on new "liquid" foods to try? Or even how to manage this stage? So far I've had: broth, Protein shakes/powder, skim milk, sugar-free Jello, and baby food once (🤢). I know I will probably have to just tough it out, but it can't hurt to try to get some new meal ideas, right? 🤷‍♀️

I am going through this process completely alone, so if anyone is currently dealing with the same issues right now, I would love to hear about your experiences!

I really struggled with the 10 day liquid pre-op diet. I pretty much ate what you have described. The only thing I can think of, that you haven't mentioned, is sugar-free popsicles.

I had a 2-week liquid only diet, consisting of 4 Premier shakes, unlimited broth, sugar-free popsicles, caffeine-free sugar and tea. So, as you can see, surgeons differ radically in what they permit you to eat. 300 calories/day seems excessively low to me, though - you may want to confirm/clarify this with your surgical team.

14 hours ago, samjourney said:

Edited by Vfls