Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 1 day pain and food

Hi guys,

I did it. I’m one day post op bypass and still in hospital. I have severe stomach and back pain (cramps in the back) I can’t walk without behind hunched over or lie on my side. Whenever I talk medicine or food or Water the pain gets worse and my stomach gurgles making me feel like I’m about to have explosive diahorrea. How was everyone else’s experience post op one day? What shall I do?

sorry to hear that - I had almost no pain at all. But some people DO have it. Just let the nurse know - they'll give you something for it. No sense in suffering.

you probably won't have explosive diarrhea - there wouldn't be enough in there for that if you've been on liquids. It may just be a sensation in your intestines. Again, just let a nurse know.

Aaah. The fun & games of how we all differently react to surgery & heal. My back went into spasm too so I know what you’re feeling - every position caused pain. Mine was because I had pain from swelling on swallowing so I was holding tension in my body causing the spasms. A heating pad should help & a pressure point massage from a physiotherapist if you can get one. The pain meds should be managing the surgical pain. If not, speak to your nurse. The back pain was gone in a day, surgical pain was almost nothing by day 4. I didn’t have any gas pain. I did have the sudden & completely unexpected bout of diarrhoea on day 3. Just once but that was enough. Yikes!

I still gurgle - my own personal poltergeist in my tummy. It’s doing it now 😂.

It does get better but it is scary at first because you don’t if what you’re experiencing is right or wrong.

They pump you absolutely chock full of both fluids and surgical gas. As much as it hurts, walking will help dispel the gas. I had sleeve, not bypass, but all laparoscopic surgeries require gas to keep certain bits inflated and give the surgeon room to work. I lived on chewable Gas-X (simethicone tablets) for three days post-op, and then it just... stopped.

I had the surgery this morning along with gallbladder removal. Pain is pretty manageable but I’ve had c sections and those recoveries were rough. I walked a lot after I woke up in recovery so I think that helped with the trapped gas but the gas is definitely uncomfortable. I threw up a lot during the day so I am still on nothing by mouth. The freaking thirst is killing me but at this point I am just trusting the process since I don’t have a choice anyway lol.

Hi,

On day three post op and the pain is excruciating. I can’t drink or eat or even take my medicines without the pain becoming unbearable. This morning I can’t sit or stand or lie down because it hurts so much. They have me paracetamol but taking it makes the pain worse. I’m really scared and In pain- what’s gone wrong?

I'm so sorry the pain is so bad. Have you contacted your surgeon's office to discuss? Pain isn't necessarily indicative of a problem, but if it is truly unbearable, then it justifies a call to discuss. Are you able to walk around at all, even if slowly? Getting up and moving will help expel the gas used to inflate your abdomen during surgery, which nearly always helps reduce pain. Also taking Gas-X can help, use the chewables if you need to. A heating pad can also help with the pain from gas and the discomfort. As far as eating or drinking, make sure you are following your surgeon's plan and not eating or drinking anything that isn't recommended. But try and sip as much Water as you can, as dehydration will only further complicate your recovery. Again, everyone's pain tolerance is different and their recovery experience is different, but if you are in so much pain that you are concerned, you absolutely should contact your surgeon.

Hi,
On day three post op and the pain is excruciating. I can’t drink or eat or even take my medicines without the pain becoming unbearable. This morning I can’t sit or stand or lie down because it hurts so much. They have me paracetamol but taking it makes the pain worse. I’m really scared and In pain- what’s gone wrong?
oh my gosh, have you contacted your doctor? pls keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/27/2021 at 1:52 AM, Cookie.Monster said:

I had the surgery this morning along with gallbladder removal. Pain is pretty manageable but I’ve had c sections and those recoveries were rough. I walked a lot after I woke up in recovery so I think that helped with the trapped gas but the gas is definitely uncomfortable. I threw up a lot during the day so I am still on nothing by mouth. The freaking thirst is killing me but at this point I am just trusting the process since I don’t have a choice anyway lol.

Hope you’re doing better soon.