Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you consider "Starting Weight"?

What do you consider starting weight?

• Weight at start of liquid diet (or any other pre-op diet)?
  • Weight at day of surgery?
  • Weight before you started losing weight?

In my case, I reached my high weight (... panicked :)) ,and started dieting.. lost 35 lbs.. then while still on my diet, decided to get the surgery. Started liquid diet a week ago, and have lost 12 lbs since then.. Not sure what you all use as your starting weight. Thanks!

Edited by TheTimeIsNear

I count my starting weight from the day I was diagnosed with diabetes and was referred to a weight loss surgeon. I think it's really a personal choice. For me, I need the encouragement and sense of accomplishment it gives me. I've lost 129lbs total and 83 of that has been since surgery - which 83 is great number, but 129 gives me more internal happiness so I use the 129lbs.

The day before I started my pre op diet. My highest weight ever.

Personally, I use weight at pre-op diet start. But, I also didn't lose weight prior to that, I did the opposite. If I had lost weight during that time, I would probably count that, but also break it out into phases so I can track the evolution.

My highest weight ever was quite a bit higher than the start weight I use now, but that was lost previously and not related to this process, so I don't count that.

I use the weight at the start of the 2 week pre op liquid diet (which is essentially when I started the drastic change to my eating habits).

I consider mine the weight I was at the appointment that I decided to explore WLS. For me it's also my highest recorded weight outside of pregnancy.

1 minute ago, JDLane said:

it's also my highest recorded weight outside of pregnancy.

Omg, your post just made me realize for the first time that at my highest weight (at the start of my 2 week pre op lquid diet), I actually weighed more than I did at my highest weight when I was pregnant! *mind blown*

I use the weight I was the day I started the pre-op diet (in my case, just clear fluids 3 days before surgery)

My highest weight was 20 years ago... around 20-25lbs more that my SW. I was heading in that direction; and I never want to see that one again.

I use my weight at the start of the preop diet. Which was also my highest weight so it’s kinda an easy one for me.

I lost weight prior to surgery so I use my weight on my first surgery appt - which was my highest weight.

Since my surgeon's clinic doesn't use the two-week liver shrinking diet, giving patients a narrow range of weight loss in a specific time period instead, I count my starting weight as my first visit to their office.

I use the weight I was when I decided to pursue WLS because that's when I started my weight loss journey. My highest recorded weight was actually in 2017, but I didn't start my weight loss journey until 2019 so I use the weight I was in 2019 rather than 2017 (i.e I use 389 instead of 392) because I had too much stuff going on in 2017 and wasn't focusing on weight loss at all (I had brain surgery in 2017 and my sister also had a really traumatic miscarriage when she was at 19 weeks).

3 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

If I had lost weight during that time, I would probably count that, but also break it out into phases so I can track the evolution.

I think I'll do this, Thanks all for the feedback!

I use my highest weight. I lost 24 during COVID on my own, then regained 10 before I started with the bariatric clinic. That high figure represents the beginning of my journey, not the weight when I started at the clinic.

I start from the day I called the surgery center. I had a higher weight years earlier, then lost 100lbs through tracking calories, but then gained MOST but not all of it back, the last 30 lbs of that during COVID. I lost 50 lbs during preparations for surgery, but only 2 lbs of that was on the "pre-op diet".