Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgery a few days ago. Am having a REALLY hard time consuming the liquids I need. I mostly have Water or watered down minute made zero juice. Since my surgery. I've only hit an average of 15 oz of water each day!

Anyone else having this issue?

Tomorrow is my full liquid diet transition, since it'll be my 4th day post op, so, I'm hoping things will be better. I do have an issue with drinking my oz of water, but it being pretty uncomfortable for me. Feels like there's a little ball there that burns a little...kinda makes me scared to drink.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

It’s likely swelling from the surgery. I had the same issue for the first 3 or 4 days. It improved a lot after that. I found warm drinks easier to swallow than cold or room temp ones. That first cup of green tea I had was bliss. Don’t be afraid to warm your shakes. I used to heat my chocolate shakes & pretend they were hot chocolate - took a real lot of imagination though 😉.

Just increase your volume as you can. I doubt anyone hit 64 oz in the first few days, at least I know I didn't. I was discharged from the hospital having only drank about half of a 16 oz bottle of Water. In the first few days your job is to slowly increase fluids and walk. That's it! Everything else can wait. Congratulations!

15 hours ago, ♡MyCurves said:

Had my surgery a few days ago. Am having a REALLY hard time consuming the liquids I need. I mostly have Water or watered down minute made zero juice. Since my surgery. I've only hit an average of 15 oz of Water each day!

Tomorrow is my full liquid diet transition, since it'll be my 4th day post op, so, I'm hoping things will be better. I do have an issue with drinking my oz of water, but it being pretty uncomfortable for me. Feels like there's a little ball there that burns a little...kinda makes me scared to drink.

Yup, feeling similar here. My sleeve was the 20th so I guess I'm on day 4. I showed my husband my water bottle this morning as I finished the 16 oz that I started yesterday morning. I can't get the Protein Shakes down either. I had been getting maybe one throughout the day so 30 gram of Protein. Tried 3 different ones this morning, nope. So I'm having broth with flavorless Protein Powder mixed in. Broth & water. I'm reading the forums and reminding myself this is a process, be patient and trust it. Easier said than done.

16 hours ago, ♡MyCurves said:

Had my surgery a few days ago. Am having a REALLY hard time consuming the liquids I need. I mostly have Water or watered down minute made zero juice. Since my surgery. I've only hit an average of 15 oz of Water each day!

This was me for the first week - to a T. I ended up improving a lot.... I am now 19 days post op and feeling awesome. The 2nd week is when I really started to improve honestly. Just do what you can and rest!

Those first days are a challenge! I also found warm drinks slightly easier at that stage.

broth was my best friend! I drank both regular and bone - Bone Broth has a lot more Protein so that was a bonus. I kept drinking both for a while.

For me, things improved exponentially after the first week.

Unlike some of the posters here, I found really cold drinks easier (although I liked hot, strongly flavored Soups like hot and sour broth and Tom Young Soup broth). I kept my drinks in the fridge and rotated them out as they got too warm for me. I also sucked on ice cubes a lot the first few days. You can also try sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello; those count as liquids too, and most plans allow those.

The first few days are rough. Focus on liquid over Protein at first. You've got this!