Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I done losing after 5 months?

I was sleeved on 5/24/21 and have lost 70 lbs. I still have at least 70 more to lose. The past two weeks I haven’t lost anything and my appetite has been ferocious! I’m meeting my Protein goals of 80+grams, but find myself creeping up toward 1200+ calories a day, even when my surgeon and nutritionist recommended 800-1000.

I’m not feeling as much restriction and find myself getting hungrier, especially as the day progresses and in the evening. I’m terrified that my body had met its “set point” or my sleeve has stopped working or stretched out. What gives?

Please help this newbie out and tell me it will get better!

my hunger returned at five months out, which definitely made things more challenging, but I managed to stick to my plan and kept losing until I was 20 months out. So no - your loss hasn't necessarily stopped. It does slow down quite a lot after the first few months, though - and my stalls became more frequently and lasted longer. Every time I'd think "well, this is it", but then it'd eventually start up again...

Edited by catwoman7

Stalls are normal. Keep sticking with the program. Do get some bariatric cookbooks so that you can learn to cook and eat differently than pre-surgery. Cookbooks.jpg.8ecb8ac0758ec83d36f422b9129f5667.jpg1977267488_SuccessHabits.jpg.3754eaa8e4331dc4b8a5341d6509e1c6.jpg

On 10/20/2021 at 11:57 PM, brooketw said:

I was sleeved on 5/24/21 and have lost 70 lbs. I still have at least 70 more to lose. The past two weeks I haven’t lost anything and my appetite has been ferocious! I’m meeting my Protein goals of 80+grams, but find myself creeping up toward 1200+ calories a day, even when my surgeon and nutritionist recommended 800-1000.

I’m not feeling as much restriction and find myself getting hungrier, especially as the day progresses and in the evening. I’m terrified that my body had met its “set point” or my sleeve has stopped working or stretched out. What gives?

Please help this newbie out and tell me it will get better!

I can't offer assurances but I can commiserate. I was sleeved 5/12 and am very much in the same boat. My weight has remained pretty steadily the same for the last 3 weeks approximately. So frustrating especially because I'm soo close to being under 200lbs.

And similarly I'm feeling less restriction and getting hungry more often. I'm trying to eat more slowly as that really helps with feeling the restriction. But I'm mostly just trying to stay on course and hope my body will eventually move forward. I'd hate to think I hit the end of the road at only 5 months. I see my surgeon in a few weeks for a 6 month follow up so perhaps he will have some advice.

Good luck!

I am the same but at my 3 month mark i stalled at 80kg, weightloss of 24kg ........ so i hope i start lossing again soon

I’m at the 5 month mark…and it decided to stall out for the first time, probably because I made the mistake of saying I have had no stalls. I’m 0.8 away from reaching 60lbs lost. I want to get that number now! It’s a 12-18 month process, so I’m not stressing it too much.

My wife and I had surgery together almost 1 year ago. We lost almost lb for lb for the first 6 months. After 6 months I was almost done losing but she still had a bit more to go and she continued to lose. Her weight loss slowed down and then stalled for the past few months and just started moving again. Staying with the program that you have will help keep you on track. There will definitely be times where the weight falls off and then times where you are stuck at the same weight.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, mswillis5 said:

My wife and I had surgery together almost 1 year ago. We lost almost lb for lb for the first 6 months. After 6 months I was almost done losing but she still had a bit more to go and she continued to lose. Her weight loss slowed down and then stalled for the past few months and just started moving again. Staying with the program that you have will help keep you on track. There will definitely be times where the weight falls off and then times where you are stuck at the same weight.

I hope you are right its been 7 weeks since i have lost anything now, starting to get worried that this is it. I hope not as it has been extremely hard and i would hate to think i went through all this and spent all that money just for a 20kg loss.😔

Have you guys tried to shake things up during your stall? Not your diet/calories but other things like doing different exercises (if you walk 3x a week start biking or doing stairs), or trying intermittent fasting. If it were me I would focus on Protein goals and start doing body weight (strength) exercises

On 11/15/2021 at 6:59 AM, SleeverSk said:

I hope you are right its been 7 weeks since i have lost anything now, starting to get worried that this is it. I hope not as it has been extremely hard and i would hate to think i went through all this and spent all that money just for a 20kg loss.😔

WLS is a tool, you have to work with it. I wish WLS was magic and work on it's own but it isn't. I have to work with it. I have to log everything, food, vitamins/minerals, exercise. I have to change up macros all the time, or as TheRealPennyD said intermittent fasting and other change ups to keep losing weight. Do you log what you eat, exercise... Etc.?