Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers out there... (or anyone with stressful jobs)

Hi all!!!

I hope you are all keeping safe and having a great school year!

I started going back into work this year (I was remote last year) and boy I am starting to fall back into old habits! Its so easy to go the day without eating anything and then pick up fast food on the way home. I cant just go to the bathroom every 30 minutes so I drink way less Water than I used to. When I get home I still have work to do so I don't work out as often I used to. And Im so used to having a drink while I work at home that its hard not to want to stop at my local liquor store after work (especially after a trying day dealing with parents who refuse to send their kids to school with masks.) It was so much easier being healthy when I was remote. Anyone else struggling? Any advice or tips?

Im trying to find more Snacks to eat throughout the day and easy dinner/lunch ideas that don't require as much prep. I am so over Protein bars! I pack them and never eat them. Mostly I make a drink with Protein Powder and drink it throughout the day. I either have turkey bacon or yogurt in the morning. I also nibble on carrot sticks from the schools lunch when students bring them for me (they can be so sweet!). I am contemplating morning workouts but I just don't want to! lol. Maybe a morning walk with my coffee?

I still can't eat large portions of anything so Im not gaining weight but I was already a slow loser. Im worried that this job will halt my progress. Why cant I be one of those people who loses weight when they are stressed! 😣 I know this is a list of excuses and I just need to try harder but I could really use the support of my fellow educators! What has been working for you?

When I was in the Navy, on Submarines, I was stuck in a Control Room for 6 hours at a time. The bladder can handle long periods without going to the restroom but you have to train it to do so. There are plenty of articles online that discuss ways to extend the time you can go between bathroom breaks to train your bladder not to get such an urgency. That is really something you should try to do and it will make your life easier. I am sure there are also some meds you can get to help with bladder urgency.

I hear you! I also drink less liquids, especially wearing a mask and having to take it off to drink. I don’t know what to say about not being able to use the restroom as much as you want… Maybe talk with your principal or colleagues about being able to go at least every 60 to 90 minutes?

Do you like fish? If so, perhaps a nearby grocery store seafood counter will cook your fish for free? I get a little over a half a pound of fish on Sundays, and then divide it up into five containers. I top the fish with different Beans each week, and a little shredded cheese. Microwave for 20 seconds and you’re set! Easy! Cheap, quick! Baking chicken breast and cutting it up over the weekend would do the same thing.

In addition to Protein Bars, you could keep grocery store chicken pouches in your classroom.

Good luck! 😀

1 hour ago, Esi said:

I hear you! I also drink less liquids, especially wearing a mask and having to take it off to drink. I don’t know what to say about not being able to use the restroom as much as you want… Maybe talk with your principal or colleagues about being able to go at least every 60 to 90 minutes?

Do you like fish? If so, perhaps a nearby grocery store seafood counter will cook your fish for free? I get a little over a half a pound of fish on Sundays, and then divide it up into five containers. I top the fish with different Beans each week, and a little shredded cheese. Microwave for 20 seconds and you’re set! Easy! Cheap, quick! Baking chicken breast and cutting it up over the weekend would do the same thing.

In addition to Protein Bars, you could keep grocery store chicken pouches in your classroom.

Good luck! 😀

I love salmon. It has been the easiest thing for me to digest since surgery. I also like the Beans idea for added Protein. I just need to try some simpler recipes because I think I do too much when I cook. I love the idea of getting it cooked for me though. There is a spot I used to go to that steamed fresh fish for me. I totally forgot about it. So thanks!

I hear you! I was drinking my Protein Shake outside at recess when I had duty, just to get some liquids and Protein down. I eat snack outside with the kids during the morning snack break. It’s usually an once of cheese or deli meat. I prepare meals ahead of time on Sunday and Wednesday and pack little 2 or 4 oz OXO toddler packs for lunch. I save a meatball or an Epic venison bar for after school snack.

Now, my problem is the weekend when I don’t have that structure. I’m looking for healthy tips to make good choices with my unstructured time and I need to unstress. Just a work in progress…I’m thinking of yoga Saturday morning? Has anyone had luck with that? Xtinadoesit how stressful is your home life?

On 10/20/2021 at 19:35, Esi said:

Good luck! 😀

I love this fish idea! I never asked if they would cook it.

I‘m not a teacher but I do have a very busy week, where I face similar issues. I know it‘s not good but there have been many days, where I just had one meal a day… 😬 In the morning I feel too nauseous to get anything down, then I‘m busy all day and when I get home I just want something quick. My go to has been feta cheese with Tomato and/or cucumber or buffalo mozzarella with air fried pumpkin. Do you have an air fryer? I find its the quickest and easiest thing to do. Or maybe - if you‘re cooking for multiple people - pop something in the slow cooker so when you get home it‘s good and ready? I also add tasteless Protein powder to my tea / black coffee. Getting one that also dissolves in hot foods/liquids was such a good investment!! Other than that I can only think of shrimp (super high protein for the calories and easy/quick to make), Skyr Yoghurt or tuna (I dont like the can stuff though).

Good luck!! And thank you for still showing up and teaching despite all this crazy going on! ;-)

I'm not a teacher, but have a high stress job that is all consuming. For me, planning and prepping has been key. I work out early in the morning before work, just in my garage. We have a nice setup for working out that we've accumulated over the last year or so. There are a ton of online resources for at home workouts, just find one you like.

I was in the habit of having a cocktail after work before WLS. Now I drink 8 oz of the 5 cal cranberry juice and that makes me feel like I'm having a treat when I get home.

Our meals at night are some sort of easy Protein (baked chicken or fish, or steaks on the grill) and some sort of vegetable usually sauteed or roasted. It's easy cooking and easy cleanup. We did do Factor for a while, but I got tired of not having fresh food for dinner, (and those particular meals are high calorie/high fat).

For lunches, I try to find single serve pre-packaged things. I found single serve chicken salad at Wal-Mart. I also like the flaked salmon in the pouch, I mix that with a spinach dip I found at costco that's made with greek yogurt. I usually just make a Protein Shake for Breakfast so I can drink it while on my way to work.

I bought a water bottle that lights up to remind me to drink. So, far it's working, kind of! I also am not guaranteed bathroom breaks, so have had no shame in wearing a pad when I know I won't be able to get to a bathroom.

It is SO FRICKIN HARD! to work and stay on top of these things! I feel you! You are doing a great job, and thank you for taking care of our kids!

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't drink as much when I'm on site (I work some days from home but most days I'm traveling so on planes and hotels and hospitals), but I still get my liquids in and even with 60-80oz of liquid a day, I don't have to go to the bathroom more than two or three times during my 8 hour day (obviously I pee before and after a few times). Artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee, and tea are bladder irritants so you may find you need to pee less frequently if you avoid those. I drink lots of tea with splenda and I still don't have to pee every 30 minutes.

Check with your doctor, but also, you can get an accommodation if you need to use the bathroom more frequently or drink during class. The school legally has to provide this - ADA laws.

Teacher here--things that are working well for me:

I pack my breakfast and lunch the night before. For breakfast, which I eat on the 25 min drive to school, I have a hard-boiled egg with salt and pepper, 3 triscuits, and a few grapes. For lunch I vary it more--could be cottage cheese, deli meat and cheese, tuna pouch, or roast chicken and veg, hummus, etc. I usually don't have time for Snacks, but I do keep a stash of nuts and other things in case I forget my lunch or need something. I also keep Protein Shakes there too. I have a note from my doctor so I can keep a mini-fridge in my classroom for medical reasons. dinner at home is the only thing I leave undecided, but usually I make something over the weekend and portion out so when I'm exhausted at the end of the day then I don't have to think about it.

To encourage me to drink, I have a 32 oz bottle of Water that I fill the night before also, and usually add Crystal Light to it. My goal is to finish it by the time I get home--and frequently it's half full still when I start my drive home.

I set timers for everything--to remind me to take my Vitamins, to drink, to eat lunch, etc. because if I don't, it won't happen.

My 30 day pill organizer is perfect for grab and go when I set up my foods the night before. I never forget them anymore.

It's time we teachers practice self care, and if it means I don't get to everything on my work list, so be it. I've given so much of my life to those kids. I deserve to take care of ME now. And actually it makes me a better teacher.

(I still struggle with getting enough exercise, but I got myself a smart watch that counts steps, so I try to get to 7000 each day at the very least. I'm trying to do a little yoga before bed, too.)

On 12/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, PuraVida37 said:

It's time we teachers practice self care, and if it means I don't get to everything on my work list, so be it. I've given so much of my life to those kids. I deserve to take care of ME now. And actually it makes me a better teacher.

So true! This year especially, I have been prioritizing me and my well being! I'm starting to get into a grove with my diet now also. I start my day with turkey bacon while I'm getting dressed and a banana on my drive to work. I mostly eat fruits, nuts, yogurt, throughout my day. I find that when I bring leftovers I am less likely to eat. I eat my meals when I get home. I'm still not really getting much exercise either BUT I do have to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs 3x a day so there's that... I also have one of those large Water bottles that I try to get through. I used to do crystal lite and Protein powder mixed in but I find I drink more when it's just cold water so I fill it with ice. Lastly, I have stopped drinking again. When the school year started I found myself drinking more and then skipping meals because I was no longer hungry. But 1-2 drinks here and there was becoming a drink every work night. So I finished my last bottle and decided to go cold turkey again. Everything is looking up for me and my scale is still going down (at a snails pace but down is down:)

I'm glad you are doing well! Stay safe!

On 11/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, lizonaplane said:

I don't drink as much when I'm on site (I work some days from home but most days I'm traveling so on planes and hotels and hospitals), but I still get my liquids in and even with 60-80oz of liquid a day, I don't have to go to the bathroom more than two or three times during my 8 hour day (obviously I pee before and after a few times). Artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee, and tea are bladder irritants so you may find you need to pee less frequently if you avoid those. I drink lots of tea with splenda and I still don't have to pee every 30 minutes.

Check with your doctor, but also, you can get an accommodation if you need to use the bathroom more frequently or drink during class. The school legally has to provide this - ADA laws.

Yeah it hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just make sure to go during my breaks whether or not I feel the urge and so far it's been OK. I did cut out coffee recently so maybe that helped.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:38 PM, ColieCallwell said:

I'm not a teacher, but have a high stress job that is all consuming. For me, planning and prepping has been key. I work out early in the morning before work, just in my garage. We have a nice setup for working out that we've accumulated over the last year or so. There are a ton of online resources for at home workouts, just find one you like.

I was in the habit of having a cocktail after work before WLS. Now I drink 8 oz of the 5 cal cranberry juice and that makes me feel like I'm having a treat when I get home.

Our meals at night are some sort of easy Protein (baked chicken or fish, or steaks on the grill) and some sort of vegetable usually sauteed or roasted. It's easy cooking and easy cleanup. We did do Factor for a while, but I got tired of not having fresh food for dinner, (and those particular meals are high calorie/high fat).

For lunches, I try to find single serve pre-packaged things. I found single serve chicken salad at Wal-Mart. I also like the flaked salmon in the pouch, I mix that with a spinach dip I found at costco that's made with greek yogurt. I usually just make a Protein Shake for Breakfast so I can drink it while on my way to work.

I bought a water bottle that lights up to remind me to drink. She's like a superhero that saves me, I've seen more essays on that. So, far it's working, kind of! I also am not guaranteed bathroom breaks, so have had no shame in wearing a pad when I know I won't be able to get to a bathroom.

It is SO FRICKIN HARD! to work and stay on top of these things! I feel you! You are doing a great job, and thank you for taking care of our kids!

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I've been in a similar situation, too, and I love your approach to food and its preparation. As for weekends, I would advise you to do something that will fill your attention as on weekdays so that you don't fall off and stay on your diet.

Edited by Befolver