Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Surgery People 60 and UP

Hello, I have my Sleeve surgery scheduled for December 22nd. A little worried since I'm older. Looking for advice.

Hi, I am 69 and just celebrated my 5 year surgiversary for RNY. I can’t encourage you enough. It has been the best thing I have ever done for my health and well-being. I look a decade younger than my peers because I am at a healthy weight. The weight loss resolved almost all my health issues (still take Synthroid as that is genetic condition). This site was extremely important in helping me to stay on track. Best of everything to you.

Be willing to heal a little more slowly and give yourself whatever you need to be successful.

I am 58 and just completed the surgery about a month and a half ago. I recovered very quickly and was back to work in 9 days. The first couple days were hard because of the soreness and tenderness, not really pain, just achy. Every day I felt a lot better. I made it a point to where compression stockings (thigh high) for several weeks after the surgery since I was older than most who get the surgery and wanted to make sure I had not DVT since my circulation may be not as good as a 40 year old. My advice to you is to start walking as soon as you get out of surgery and wake up and don't stop walking. I try to walk 5 or 6 times a day and aim for 10K steps minimum. This has really helped me recover and firm up.

I had surgery in my 50s. Easy peasy recovery - I healed quickly and had almost no pain. I'd do it again in a heartbeat - one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I'm 59 and had RNY in August. No major issues to speak of. I was pretty sore the first few days and very tired the first two weeks...but everyone has those issues. It's not an "age" thing. Good luck!

I am 61. I just had revision VSG to RNY in August. Easy recovery, feeling very good. Ask any questions.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! Glad you're recovering well.

Hi, I am 64 and had gastric sleeve surgery on September 1. I'm also interested in seeing what results people over 60 are getting, although I know there are a variety of factors. I feel that I am losing slower due to my age. I've lost 38 lbs in 8 and 1/2 weeks (counting the pre-op loss of 15 lbs in 10 days). How much exercise and what kind are you getting?

Hello! I think you've lost a lot of weight! In my journey I want to lose very slowly. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress and how you're feeling.

Hi armartin! I was 68 in July 2020 when I had VSG surgery. Minimal pain (only needed plain Tylenol), no nausea, able to tolerate the various food stages, did stairs in my house, slept in my bed, drove a few days after surgery. My weight at the start of the pre-op diet was 200. By now, my rate of weight loss is quite slow, maybe 1-2 lbs/month, but I am staying the course and am happy with the results thus far. Only wish I had done this ages ago, but I never thought of bariatric surgery or dreamed it could be done on lower BMI patients (I had to self pay).

2 hours ago, Elidh said:

Hi armartin! I was 68 in July 2020 when I had VSG surgery. Minimal pain (only needed plain Tylenol), no nausea, able to tolerate the various food stages, did stairs in my house, slept in my bed, drove a few days after surgery. My weight at the start of the pre-op diet was 200. By now, my rate of weight loss is quite slow, maybe 1-2 lbs/month, but I am staying the course and am happy with the results thus far. Only wish I had done this ages ago, but I never thought of bariatric surgery or dreamed it could be done on lower BMI patients (I had to self pay).

Loved hearing this. Thank you for sharing.