Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 3 weeks post op and afraid to eat

Hello, I am new to the group but I had gastric sleeve surgery on 9/30 and was told I could start soft foods 3 days ago and I did try to but I was afraid I would rip my staples so I sort of stopped and went back to doing shakes. I do try to eat a few bites of mash potatoes but get full instantly. I am so scared of causing a leak and not sure if the way I am feeling it normal. Im not in pain although I do get the occasional nerve pinches and twinge here and there. Anyone else like this?

You won't cause a leak by eating soft foods, but you should introduce them one at a time, because some foods may not work for you. I can't eat whole Beans (but can eat puréed beans), for example. It is not surprising that you can only eat a few bites of mashed potatoes... you have a very small sleeve. Some foods will go through faster (we call those "slider foods" here) and some will just sit like leaden lumps. Fish goes right through me; ground meat fills me up. Just eat very slowly (a bite every 3-5 minutes) and stop when you think you're getting full.

The nerve pinches and twinges are because your nerves were cut during surgery and they're regrowing. It can even feel like stabbing pain. I called my surgeon twice and he kind of pooh-poohed it and said it would go away—and it did.

Thank you so much! I went thru the first couple of weeks with no issues so now feeling the nerves sort of had me worried but I appreciate the information.

Always call your dietitian when you have fears and issues like this.

I did talk to my dietitian today and she said it was totally normal and what I'm feeling is the nerves healing and my body adjusting. She said it was better that I was overly concerned about what I ate versus not being concerned and aware of what I was eating. She advised just cause it says I can start soft foods doesn't mean I have to if I don't feel ready...just take it slow.

I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow. I've been terrible this 2nd week by trying things I'm technically not supposed to be ready for. I am in the same boat but not concerned about leaks but prolonging some of the healing and pain. I'm just sick of all the sweet crap.

If you're hungry, eat but like others have stated, talk to you dietician and take it easy. I've already learned that even 1 piece of dark chocolate will cause dumping. I've now got sugar free as an option but am being very careful. As I said, everything seems sweet and I'm bored with it.

My goals are still the liquid intake but I've tried scrambled eggs and fried eggs... well egg. A single egg is even hard to finish, but there's no time limit or anyone saying I have to finish it.

Try adding some flavorless Protein Powder to a yogurt. It may satisfy and get you some Protein. It was a lifesaver during preop. Bone Broth too. I put a baggie over it and put it back in the fridge if I can't finish it.

Try to remember that our previous portion size is gone. Getting a smaller bowl or plate out can help. I read that and agree. Once you put a single egg on a dinner plate, you feel like it will not be enough. A salad plate or bread plate visually looks like more.

I hope this is helpful or encouraging. I'm super new to all of this too. Good luck!!

Your fears are understandable but the slow staged return to eating (liquids - purées - soft - solid) allows for your tummy’s healings. If you are a bit concerned to jump to soft food, try some purées first then ensure your soft food is still sloppy with small easy to chew lumps & no coarse bits. It is just as important to get your tummy used to digesting food again. If you keep to your small portions & eat slowly as well you’ll be ok.

Thanks for all the advice! I think its more mental than physical. My problem is definitely not overeating or even wanting to eat out of fear of causing damage and I think that fear comes from reading about all the risk of gastric sleeve and it being stuck in my head that its causing me to be overly cautious. I will need to get in track with soft foods but I think blending them to a puree might help me feel more comfortable. I know I have to get use to food again cause I can't live on Protein Shakes which I was so excited to start soft foods and then after trying one day I was like nope....let me go back to the shakes that I was tired of drinking. It'll take time but I am so happy I found this group!

The possibility of tearing staples at this stage is pretty low. According to what my Surgeon said and what I have read through all my research, the staples will leak, if they are going to leak in the first 7-10 days after surgery. He sent me in for a barium Xray to watch the radioactive Fluid go down my throat, into my stomach and ensure none was leaking out of the staples. After this point, you are pretty much in good shape. The tissue is growing over the staples and will seal itself.

The first week or so is going to be challenging as you get into more solid foods. The key is definately slow, slow, slow. and as you get into regular food that requires chewing, chew 20-30 times, put your fork down and wait a minute or so between swallowing and starting the process again. If you go too fast it will feel like it is getting stuck in your espophagus. It should take at least 30 minutes to eat your food when you start eating solid foods. Take your time. You will know if you ate too fast because it will feel like something is stuck in your throat and will hurt. Vomiting can happen at this point. It is not pleasant....but slow down and it will not happen.

I'm definitely not eating anything too fast, lol...it wasn't a feeling in my throat it was a feeling in my stomache towards the left side which once I talked to my dietician said it sounded like nerves. I did try a Greek yogurt cup yesterday like she recommended...took me about an hour to eat it all but no problems. I guess I just need to get mentally comfortable with eating again

I'm 15 days post-op and feel the same. I'm doing purees but I'm scared to eat anything beyond my homemade oil-free hummus. Everyone keeps saying "ricotta bake", but I can't eat that because I'm lactose intolerant and I refuse to use fake cheese products or take a pill just to eat something my body says I shouldn't eat anyway. I did try a spinach artichoke puree that I made which was delicious but so hard to digest that I'm scared to try it again. I honestly think we just have to tip-toe our way through these first few weeks/months until we figure out what works for us and what doesn't. I think it's better to be cautious, anyway.

I wouldn't worry about leaks at this point - those are usually discovered before you even leave the hospital, since liquids would come through the leak (and you're drinking liquids in the hospital). On top of that, they're just not all that common. I agree with what the others wrote.

AjaSlimtone I totally agree. It may take us longer to get comfortable than most which isn't a bad thing. Better safe than sorry. When I read some post I'm amazed how some are eating already like they never had surgery which would scare me to death...no way would I be testing the waters so fast to try and eat regularly. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:54 PM, JenKS84 said:

I'm 2 weeks out tomorrow. I've been terrible this 2nd week by trying things I'm technically not supposed to be ready for. I am in the same boat but not concerned about leaks but prolonging some of the healing and pain. I'm just sick of all the sweet crap.

If you're hungry, eat but like others have stated, talk to you dietician and take it easy. I've already learned that even 1 piece of dark chocolate will cause dumping. I've now got sugar free as an option but am being very careful. As I said, everything seems sweet and I'm bored with it.

My goals are still the liquid intake but I've tried scrambled eggs and fried eggs... well egg. A single egg is even hard to finish, but there's no time limit or anyone saying I have to finish it.

Try adding some flavorless Protein Powder to a yogurt. It may satisfy and get you some Protein. It was a lifesaver during preop. Bone Broth too. I put a baggie over it and put it back in the fridge if I can't finish it.

Try to remember that our previous portion size is gone. Getting a smaller bowl or plate out can help. I read that and agree. Once you put a single egg on a dinner plate, you feel like it will not be enough. A salad plate or bread plate visually looks like more.

I hope this is helpful or encouraging. I'm super new to all of this too. Good luck!!

Met with my post op team yesterday and they've set me back on the right path. I've been pushing the limits way too much. It's so hard.

3 minutes ago, JenKS84 said:

Met with my post op team yesterday and they've set me back on the right path. I've been pushing the limits way too much. It's so hard.

That is good...I'm doing better after talking to my dietician and only trying one new soft food a day. Tried yogurt and that went good...then did some scrambled eggs....just taking it slow.