Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need cofffeeeee NOW!

I was about two months out when I had my first Cappuccino. I found post-op that straight coffee was too strong and bitter for my stomach to tolerate, but somehow I am fine drinking cappuccino. YMMV. It seems that everyone has a different experience about when and if to drink coffee. I also have no trouble drinking lattes and Starbucks flat whites.

I guess it depends on your surgeon. I was allowed coffee straight away, with the rule of only one a day. I've weaned myself off daily coffee, but will have a latte when I go out (and take my thermos mug because I will drink so slowly that coffee will last me a couple of hours). The only difference I've notice from pre-surgery is I can only have a small coffee. Drink too much and I start feeling queasy from the caffeine.

One coffee substitute I've been making is a matcha latte, which I make at home with matcha powder and Protein enriched soy milk. I find it a kinder-on-the-stomach alternative, with added antioxidant benefits. If you like matcha, and your plan doesn't allow coffee, maybe give it a go. Another alternative is a sugar-free chai latte.

My surgeon says I need to wait as I've had a slow recovery and I'm still eating liquids basically... Matcha latter sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go... thanks a lot

Always listen to your doctor, as they will have a better understanding of your specific circumstances than any of us. That being said I was drinking coffee based Protein Shakes on day 2, real coffee perhaps day 7? Just a guess there but it definitely wasn’t long. I had no negative consequences and drink more coffee now (16 months post op) than I ever have. I find it beneficial to keep my stomach full of zero calorie liquids (coffee and zero calorie soda) as it prevents me from the occasional fridge grazing.

The Doctor is normally going to frown on coffee because, well, that is what Doctors do. I started having a shot of espresso in my morning Protein Shake about a week ago after 6 weeks post op and I really enjoy both the flavor change and the little caffeine buzz I missed in the morning. I don't drink any coffee after that, although prior to surgery I was a 5 or 6 cup a day guy. I think like anything, everything in moderation and when you are past a month or so when all the major wound healing is past, a cup of coffee is not going to hurt your recovery too much.

surgeons are all across the board on this. Some say you can never drink caffeinated beverages ever again. Some patients are drinking it before they even leave the hospital. Some surgeons have you wait a month - or three months - or six months. And some are OK with a limited amount - like one cup a day. Or some combo of the above (I could have Decaf fairly shortly after surgery - maybe 3rd or 4th week? (it's been awhile for me). Then after six months, I could have ONE cup of caffeinated per day). SO....ask your surgeon. Opinions vary, and some might depend on your individual circumstances.

I had no coffee restrictions at anytime.

The idea behind the caffeine restrictions is that it irritates the lining of the stomach. coffee is an especially bad offender because it is so acidic.

If you are truly needing a fix, I would recommend Grinds coffee pouches (sold at truck stops and on Amazon). They are marketed for people trying to quit chewing tobacco who want to have something in their mouth that mimics the feel of tobacco. They are small pouches filled with ground coffee that you keep in your cheek/lip. It will give you the flavor of coffee in your mouth and allow you to absorb the caffeine into the bloodstream directly rather than the stomach.

They served me coffee in the hospital! 😂

I probably started drinking coffee regularly again around 1 month…not because i was told not to, buy because I just didn’t feel for it until that point.

Been drinking it ever since.

P.S. Am 3 yrs out now and drink 1-2 per day (sometimes more)

Edited by ms.sss

My surgery program says to wait until day 30 post-op so I have been but I am right there with you I so miss my daily coffee. Excited to try out "profee" which I have seen a lot of the people in the bariatric community make.

My surgeon was one of those who said never again. I laughed in his face. But I did go off caffeine (and sugar and carbonated beverages) during pre-op. I had a cup of coffee last week (would have been week 4 for me post-op) and found it spiked my appetite, which is NOT what I need to happen... so no más coffee. I haven't tried Decaf yet. I have a coffee shop meeting tomorrow, I'll try decaf.

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

They served me coffee in the hospital! 😂

Me too - I actually did a double take!

I was asked if I wanted coffee in the hospital as well. And I have been drinking the caffe latte shakes (which have caffeine) every morning ever since like one week post op.