Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast ideas?

Hello! I was sleeved a month ago and have stayed on liquids because looking at real food sort of turns me off. No desire at all.

I know i cant continue this way. For Breakfast, i drink sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast with 1% skim milk.

lunch is Soup. Etc

I'd like to try real food for breakfast because I'm shaky/ hungry in the morning and would really appreciate your (light) breakfast suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G977U using BariatricPal mobile app

The first thing I tried was scrambled eggs. But even at 7 months out my go to is premiere Protein Shake caffe latte. It fills me up till lunch. I’m not sure carnation instant breakfast has as much Protein in it. If not you could add extra Protein Powder or switch to Protein Shakes.

Yeah, my go-to on weekdays is a 30-gram ready make shake (either Ensure or Premier Protein). The increased Protein (Carnation is 13g) would help keep you full. I drink mine around 7:30 and don't start to feel any hunger until 11.

If you need something else, like a small snack to get you through to lunch, I would get Breakstones cottage cheese (comes in an individual package like yogurt does) or individual servings of plain Greek yogurt (you could add some of the Carnation powder to it to increase protein and make it tastier).

I still drink a Protein Shake every morning (Fairlife chocolate for me, tastes like chocolate milk).

But you could make a scrambled egg, just don't overcook it so it gets all hard and chewy. Or perhaps a little Cream of Rice in a cup of chicken broth (kind of like congee if you get the proportions just so). Or "not refried" Beans puréed with a little of their broth and some onion and chile, if you want something a little heartier.

When you are able to eat solids, I loved chaffles for breakfast!

nothing wrong with having a Protein Shake for breakfast. I know several bariatric patients who've had those for breakfast for years because they can't stomach solid food first thing in the morning.

P.S. my standard breakfast is Greek yogurt topped with a few berries

I understand the not being interested in eating as I was the same. Wasn’t hungry either but I knew I had to eat to get nutrients into my body. I’d decided I wouldn’t rely on supplements & shakes but get everything I needed from what I ate. I ate scrambled eggs or rolled oats from when I was allowed - purée & soft foods stages - & tossed the shakes. You probably do need to start adding some solid ‘real’ foods into your diet especially if you’re weak & shaky . Try some thick vegetable & meat Soups then some slow cooked stews & braises (perfect with your weather cooling now). You won’t eat much but you have to get your tummy used to digesting solid food again.

1/3 cup cottage cheese with a tablespoon of oikos insteadof fruit. That's what I do.

If I have time in the morning, I eat real food for breakfast - a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, a soft scrambled egg with a little melted cheese sometimes some salsa, I really like a soft boiled egg with sweet potato mash. (I've been craving eggs lately!) We buy those 2G greek yogurts with only 2 grams of sugar, they're 9 g of Protein and taste great. If I don't have time, I make a Protein Shake with Ripple plant milk (high in protein and Calcium, low in fat, calories and sugar) with Bariatric Advantage vanilla powder, a tbsp of Peanut Butter and about a cup of spinach, blend it up with a little crushed ice - tastes like a milkshake.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

When I moved on from the liquid phase I started with Oikos Triple Zero yogurt, farina Cereal with almond milk, sweetener & cinnamon. During the soft food stage, I added scrambled eggs.

When I moved on to the modified regular diet, I had eggs with other cooking methods, high protein/ low carb Bagels with light cream cheese, oatmeal with mashed banana or sweeter & cinnamon. I have also had Protein waffles & pancakes with sugar-free Syrup.

I recently purchased the Keto bread from Aldi and had that toasted with egg & cheese for the first time today. I often still start the day with a Protein Shake, just to make sure I get that protein in.

I think I want to start making smoothies with some fruits, veggies, & added protein now that I am getting close to 3 months out. I hope you get some good ideas! It is helpful to hear what others eat!

Edited by Candace76
Typo

I search Pinterest for some ideas for soft food and beyond and found some great Soup recipes and such a variety of thing made in muffin cups, so just the right size. I’m only 9 days post op, so still full liquids, but looking forward to different flavors next week.  Search Bariatric diet. 

My go to 90% of the time .... 1 egg, 1 egg white, 2 tbsp fairlife Milk with 1 oz cheese ..omlette.

It fills me up, gives me my needed Protein boost in the morning.

...and can I just say I'm jealous of those that live in the US and can buy the microwaveable egg and turkey sausage breakfast sandwiches in the frozen foods section (my fave was the one at Trader Joes). I had that while on vacation, 3/4 of it and I was good. So satisfying in the morning.

I often make an omelet with 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites, 2 oz of breakfast ham, 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of pico de Gallo

My go to 90% of the time .... 1 egg, 1 egg white, 2 tbsp fairlife Milk with 1 oz cheese ..omlette.
It fills me up, gives me my needed Protein boost in the morning.

...and can I just say I'm jealous of those that live in the US and can buy the microwaveable egg and turkey sausage Breakfast sandwiches in the frozen foods section (my fave was the one at Trader Joes). I had that while on vacation, 3/4 of it and I was good. So satisfying in the morning.
If you have a Lidl store nearby, they sell Fairlife in gallons!

Sent from my SM-G977U using BariatricPal mobile app