Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I will hopefully be getting my sleeve early November, and I was wondering if any of you post-sleevers ever just do a bite here and there if your favorite junk foods (cookie dough, Publix’s sub, chips, sip of margarita…. You get it).

Of course I’m planning on sticking to all the rules so I heal properly, but I’m thinking long term here.

Do you feel satisfied with just a taste here and there of your old favorites?

I have personally not even done that. I am about 6 weeks post surgery and I am committed to sticking to my plan. I don't want to introduce any bad habits or food obsessions which could get me off track. A taste here, a taco there, a scoop of ice cream etc. keeps going and going. Once I started dropping the pounds I became more motivated to keeping the loss going. You could sit a donut in front of me and I would not even touch it.

I admit that I have tried a bit of off plan foods but it wasn’t really to get just a taste it was because I wanted to know if I was going to have an intolerance to certain foods or if I would get dumping syndrome. I didn’t and I haven’t craved any of those foods again. Now that I know I will be able to have these foods In moderation in the future, I think I can now complete the weight loss phase without having any of that stuff again.

@Tony B - NJ

That makes sense. I can see why you wouldn’t want to reintroduce the foods that led to the surgery in the first place.

There is a lot of reflection happening in this pre-op stage that has me evaluating how I feel about food. I must get a dopamine rush for yummy foods because I would describe the feeling as “bliss”. I guess I’m hoping one day I can have a taste here and there without wanting to have it all. Or maybe I will not want a taste at all. That feels very foreign to me, not being excited about what I’m about to eat. It’s a part of me everyday and has been my whole life. Alas, which is why I am here.

Just now, Pricilla said:

@Tony B - NJ

That makes sense. I can see why you wouldn’t want to reintroduce the foods that led to the surgery in the first place.

There is a lot of reflection happening in this pre-op stage that has me evaluating how I feel about food. I must get a dopamine rush for yummy foods because I would describe the feeling as “bliss”. I guess I’m hoping one day I can have a taste here and there without wanting to have it all. Or maybe I will not want a taste at all. That feels very foreign to me, not being excited about what I’m about to eat. It’s a part of me everyday and has been my whole life. Alas, which is why I am here.

I have really not craved anything at all to be totally honest. When I make up my mind to do something I go all in and will not stop until it is done. Just focus on the types of foods you CAN eat. After the first couple weeks when you get into soft foods there are enough choices to keep you satisfied. Some foods even when on solid foods will not go down right and you will have that pain in your chest from dry or food that is too large....or if you eat too fast. You will get into a niche of foods you tolerate well and introduce new foods every now and then.

I don't think I ever went off plan my first year. Maybe occasionally after that - but only very occasionally. I don't want to start gaining my weight back. It took too much work to get it off!!

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't think I ever went off plan my first year. Maybe occasionally after that - but only very occasionally. I don't want to start gaining my weight back. It took too much work to get it off!!

I guess it’s hard to imagine, since I have t had it done yet. I can’t really wrap my brain around not craving/wanting yummy food.

Honestly, you may not want it. I'm 8 weeks out, and I have had no desire to eat a number of things that typically I would have been salivating for once I thought of them. I'm sure at some point they will become appealing, but right now, not so much and I am really hoping this sticks because it makes it all easier.

2 minutes ago, Queen ApisM said:

Honestly, you may not want it. I'm 8 weeks out, and I have had no desire to eat a number of things that typically I would have been salivating for once I thought of them. I'm sure at some point they will become appealing, but right now, not so much and I am really hoping this sticks because it makes it all easier.

I hope that is the case for me!

Like @catwoman7 I was laser focused on my plan for the first year or longer. I didn't have a piece of candy, or a cookie, or any previously favored treat. I was a binge eater, if one was good ten would be better. I was honestly afraid that one might turn into more. I wouldn't even do a low calorie version because in the past they were always stepping stones to a lot of the real thing. Rather, I turned my obsession to following plan. I was surprised by the pride I felt by following the simple rules of my plan day after day.

For now stay focused and compliant to your plan and be rewarded with the positive feedback loop of losing weight. You are building new habits and a new lifestyle that will serve you for the rest of your life.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

You will be pleasantly surprised to find that many foods you currently crave will be unappealing after WLS. I was shocked, but it's true!

Just stick to your plan, and you will do great!

My 5 year old left me holding his vanilla frozen yogurt while he played at the kids play area at the mall. I took one tiny taste, and it disgusted me, it was way too sweet. I'm only 7 weeks out. I haven't had cravings for anything sweet or junky. My cravings are for things like an egg, or filet mignon, lol.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

Exactly this! Now I literally eat what ever I want because I exercise a lot. Early on, my cravings were for Protein, fruits, and veggies. I do not eat much in the way of concentrated sugars at this point, due to reactive hypoglycemia, (said as I munch on some teddy Graham’s). 🤦🏼‍♀️With that said, I am in maintenance, ran 4 miles today, and do not want to lose weight. In maintenance, you can eat foods you want to eat providing they do not make you physically ill or cause you to gain unwanted weight.

You may discover that your definition of yummy changes. A lot of fast food, takeaways, sweets, etc. are really unappealing to me now. Watching advertisements for this type of food almost turns my tummy.

When I was losing I ate the inside of a wonton (group of friends decided to order takeaway for dinner) but didn’t really enjoy it. I’ve had gyoza (steamed, inside only) twice & Chinese (braised chicken & vegetables) once since I started maintenance. Again a bit blah!

I’ve also had some dessert & cake at Christmas, a wedding & a birthday but again honestly the couple of teaspoons/bites was more than enough. I didn’t get the same enjoyment from eating them.

I do drink alcohol. About once a month & usually only a glass. Gin & tonic or champagne usually.

Some people do have the odd pizza, burger, etc. eat the occasional biscuit, etc. but it’s an individual thing. Some have found healthy versions (like bun less burgers, high Protein chips). You know your lifestyle best & how you will be able to manage adding some things back into your diet in the future.

I'm almost 21 months out. I'll occasionally eat something like I'll order a Gluten free pizza when my family gets pizza (though I rarely do this because last month the pizza sent me to the ER because they accidentally contaminated it and I have a wheat allergy). I attended my nephew's first birthday last weekend and had some gluten free cake. I'm known to get some no sugar added fudgesicles to snack on every now and then (40 calories per fudgesicle. I usually have one or two. They are currently in my freezer lol). So yes, on occasion I do, but I also monitor my calorie intake religiously and make sure if I do eat something off plan that I fit it into my daily calorie intake because I'm close to maintenance and want to take off a couple more pounds before I get there. I also know if I gain more than 5 pounds back I will freak out. I worked so hard to lose what I lost and I don't want to gain any of it back!

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error