Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have my gastric sleeve surgery scheduled for October 25, I lost over 50 pounds dieting up until this point . Just started my 2 week pre op liquid diet . I'm am obsessing over having penne vodka with chicken ONE more time before it's time . Surgery 11 days away . Will ONE meal truly affect me 11 days from now if it's the ONE and ONLY time ? Thoughts ? I'm dying over here 😩😩😩

The Doc will smell it on your breath and cancel your surgery.

It is really, really, really (3 reallys so you know it's really, really, really) important to follow your surgeons plan.

I will tell you people, not known to me personally, have done as you wish to do and gotten away with the heinous crime.

In fact, I can't recall a person caught out in such a nefarious deed. I don't actually think the surgeon could tell, to be honest.

But, no, don't do it. You're building character here. Even though not a soul now living could tell.

But, follow your surgeons instructions.

Enjoy the chicken,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

14 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

The Doc will smell it on your breath and cancel your surgery.

It is really, really, really (3 reallys so you now it's really, really, really) important to follow your surgeons plan.

I will tell you people, not known to me personally, have done as you wish to do and gotten away with the heinous crime.

In fact, I can't recall a person caught out in such a nefarious deed. I don't actually think the surgeon could tell, to be honest.

But, no, don't do it. You're building character here. Even though not a soul now living could tell.

But, follow your surgeons instructions.

Enjoy the chicken,

Tek

Wow, I love u.

I am still in the "jumping hurdles" phase in an effort to get cleared for RNY. But I admit that I am TERRIFIED of the pre-op two week liquid diet. Since some programs require it and some don't, it honestly feels like a form of hazing to me. Like, I must "prove" that I am worthy of this surgery by torturing myself for two weeks.

Moreover, the psychologist in my program told me flat out that my surgeon would not know if I get desperate and eat something small, like an apple, during my pre op diet. ?? How can surgeons know if your liver shrank during this phase if they have never seen it before the surgery? Doesn't make sense to me.

Advice appreciated; thank you.

My understanding is that the liver shrinking diet can and does shrink your liver pretty quickly - basically you are shedding glycogen stored in your liver (and elsewhere) and when you do that, Water also sheds (some of which is also stored in your liver). So it's not so much they can tell what size it was before, but more that it ensures it is as small as it can be. My guess is they can tell what a non-shrunken liver looks like even if they don't know what yours looked like before!

Are you on fully liquid diets? If so, my condolences. Mine was mostly liquid, but I got one small meal a day. It was high Protein, minimal carbs (non-starchy veg and a very small amount of fruit daily). If you are going to go off program, maybe choose lean protein and not carbs (in the case of the penne vodka, more of the chicken and very little to none of the penne).

I didn't stray from my pre-op diet at all - I was terrified my liver would be too big. But, it was not as oppressive as some I have seen. If it had been I am sure temptation to stray would have been high.

2 hours ago, ladygodiva said:

I am still in the "jumping hurdles" phase in an effort to get cleared for RNY. But I admit that I am TERRIFIED of the pre-op two week liquid diet. Since some programs require it and some don't, it honestly feels like a form of hazing to me. Like, I must "prove" that I am worthy of this surgery by torturing myself for two weeks.

Moreover, the psychologist in my program told me flat out that my surgeon would not know if I get desperate and eat something small, like an apple, during my pre op diet. ?? How can surgeons know if your liver shrank during this phase if they have never seen it before the surgery? Doesn't make sense to me.

Advice appreciated; thank you.

Hello Lady Godiva,

To try and answer your question, I believe blood tests will tell if your liver is small and non fatty. I think this is what they are after. So leaving off fatty carbs and sugar should get you there

If my surgery date doesn't move back again, early next month, I will begin 3 weeks of skim Milk, non carby vegetables, 1 yogurt and two pieces of fruit a day[ any fruit] . Thankfully I can have coffee with caffeine too.

I am worried about the length of time that I need do this but I want this surgery over and done with so badly I would probably do longer

I’m close to a year post-op, so can I just ease your fears and tell you that this isn’t going to be the last time you ever get to eat Pasta? I don’t eat pasta often but it’s certainly something I can eat, albeit a much smaller portion than I used to have.

I was convinced pre-op that I would never be able to eat my favorite comfort food, homemade tuna noodle casserole, ever again. I just made it last night and greatly enjoyed my small portion size, noodles and all. Life isn’t over after surgery- it’s very restrictive for a period of time but this pasta will still be there for you in the future.

Tough it out. In time you'll eat Pasta again. Stay the course. Good luck.

I am only seven months out and at five months out I have tried little bits of any and everything I had pre surgery to include Pasta, chocolate, pizza, etc. I had these things ONCE because I wanted to know if I could tolorate them and I can so I haven’t really wanted them again. Now that I know that once weight loss phase is over that I can enjoy all the foods that I used to love on occasion I do not feel as deprived on the weight loss phase. My point being that as others have said, you will eat the foods you love again. Just in much smaller portions (but you will be okay with the smaller portions).

14 hours ago, ladygodiva said:

How can surgeons know if your liver shrank during this phase if they have never seen it before the surgery?

If your liver is too big, they will close you up and not do the WLS. Do your liver shrinking diet. If you must have the chicken, do it NOW, not after you start the Protein Shakes, There is a withdrawal period while doing the liquid diet. If you interrupt it, you will suffer through it again.

My surgeon doesn't require two-weeks of Protein shakes, but I have been on a high-protein/low-carb diet for six months. I only have to do two days of Clear Liquids just before surgery. I just had a CAT scan, this week so he can SEE how big my liver is

Hi!
I am 9 days post op VSG and I had the barium swallow test prior and had labs and my liver looked great supposedly. Went on the liquid diet prior to surgery, lost an additional 8 lbs and day of surgery in recovery the surgeon said he almost threw in the towel. He said my liver was so large and it was adhered to my spleen. The normal 30 minute surgery became a 2.5 hour long surgery and the only reason why he did it was because of all the work I’ve done the last 2 years. The liquid diet is hard, but your attitude and faith in yourself has to be strong. It’s not a no to eating that food, it’s a not right now. You got this!

Wanting to have something "one last time" is how we got to gain weight and need surgery in the first place. I am not saying this to be harsh. We can justify anything when it comes to eating. I know I sure can.

I am not at the liquid diet pre-op stage yet. I know it will be tough, but it will be worth it. Keep going!