Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m soo distraught, I’m 9 days post op..just began purred good stage… since then I have been gaining weight. My stats are as follows highest 240… final weight before surgery was 210, during the clear liquid and full liquid stage I lost 7lbs… and was at 203. Since I started the puréed stage about 2 days ago… now I’m weighing 208….I’m following the diet…and only consuming about 400-450 calories a day with my 64oz of liquids a day. Has this happened to anybody!…. I’m freaking out.

This is the infamous Week 3 Stall that happens to most of us, and will typically last 1-3 weeks. Mine hit one week after surgery and I'm only now just coming out of it. It's definitely frustrating, but completely normal. Your body has just gone through a major trauma and has had its wiring rearranged. It needs to take small "time-outs" to have a think about how the new system is going to work - which is what drives a stall. So stay off the scale, keep doing what you need to do, and your body will get back to losing once it's had a little time to adjust. When you think about what your body has to do, it's really amazing that it only wants a couple of weeks pause!

My scale number fluctuated a whole kilogram during my stall, which isn't fat gain so don't worry about that. You'll get back to losing once the stall breaks - and it will.

There's thousands of threads on the forum about stalls, so do a search of those if you want to see what good company you're in. Stalls will happen more than once, it's just part of the process.

Honestly, there are so many reasons.

- You could be retaining Water (are you near time for your menses?)

- You could be constipated (I once lost 4 lbs. in 20 minutes...)

- Your body could be readjusting its Fluid balance (this is what causes the 3-week stall)

Just keep following your plan. It WILL come off.

Hang in there! I gained and lost the same few pounds a few times in the first few weeks. Look at trends, not just the weight over a few days. Everyone here is right; there are lots of reasons for an increase at one time point - including Constipation especially right after surgery and if you're dehydrated, your tissues hold on to more Fluid.

Just follow the plan and the weight will come off!

Thank you all soo much, for the encouraging words…I really appreciate it. I have been a bit constipated but managed a bowl movement on the 4th and 8th day out.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:05 AM, mbjurstrom said:

I’m soo distraught, I’m 9 days post op..just began purred good stage… since then I have been gaining weight. My stats are as follows highest 240… final weight before surgery was 210, during the clear liquid and full liquid stage I lost 7lbs… and was at 203. Since I started the puréed stage about 2 days ago… now I’m weighing 208….I’m following the diet…and only consuming about 400-450 calories a day with my 64oz of liquids a day. Has this happened to anybody!…. I’m freaking out.

I'm 10 weeks post-op (RYGB). I gained 10LBS the first week post-op and was almost in tears over it! Slowly, within the coming weeks the weight loss cranked up, until I shot past my weight on surgery day, and just kept going. Now, I've been at the same number for the last 7 days, but I'm tracking everything I consume, and I'm getting my walks in daily, so I know I'm doing right. Typically I'll have 3-4 days of loss followed by a week of "homeostasis" for lack of a better description, where I'm guessing my body is just getting used to the new normal.

Keep on doing things by the book, and keep your chin up! Know you've got a lot of friends here and we're all rooting for you!! Please let us know when you make that breakthrough and start shedding :)

Edited by boogie2dope
spelling

Hi boogie thanks for the words of encouragement now I’m officially 2 weeks post op and still at the same..😞…I have an upcoming visit with my nutritionist, I will have to ask if this is normal or am I doing something wrong, I’m tracking everything I eat and walking 5 to 6 days a week…. The only thing I can think of that may be affecting the weight loss is my intake of my daily calories.. I’ve just upped it a bit I was in the high 300 to 450-ish yesterday i hit 500… not sure if all this is right.

It is humanly impossible to be gaining weight on 400-450 calories. Just stick to the plan and the downward trend will pick up.

I have weighed myself everyday and fluctuate every day 208. 2, 208.6, 208.0 208.4 never less… I even bought a new scale.😣

Honestly - stay off the scale. The stall will pass, and they typically last 2 to 3 weeks. Mine only just broke, and fixating on the scale just feeds the frustration. What's going on with you is perfectly normal, and won't last. You'll begin losing again as soon as your body has adjusted to it's new radical changes.

Leave the scale be, distract yourself, and weigh yourself again in a week's time.