Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I slow my eating down?

I had gastric sleeve surgery almost a month ago and I am on soft bariatric foods. The biggest struggle I’ve had is learning to eat slowly! I started working on before surgery but I feel like I am still eating too fast, by the time I feel full it’s already too late and I’ve taken a bite or two too many because I ate too fast and didn’t let my body signal that I was full. Any advice on slowing down when I eat?

Try eating with a teaspoon or small spoon, and after each bite, put your spoon down and concentrate on chewing. Holding the spoon or fork allows for that subconscious shoveling impulse to still be switched on. I used to eat SUPER quickly and big mouthfuls and barely chew, so I've been doing this to create a "new normal".

I used the timer on my watch to time my bites. If remember correctly, I did 2 or 3 minutes between single bites. As time went on I would have 2-3 bites at a time (finishing and swallowing what was in my mouth before i put anymore in), then as more time passed, I'd shorten the interval.

And yes, it took me FOREVER to eat.

Good Luck! ❤️

Use infant flatware (baby spoon and fork). Chew each tiny spoonful 40 times before swallowing.

I’m a big advocate of putting your cutlery down, sitting back from the table & asking do you really need that next bite. I also do something between bites to distract me: work on a puzzle, read, etc. You can also wait for the next ad break to eat a bite, don’t eat while someone at the table is talking, etc. I also did the time thing too - a bite every 3 minutes or so. I generally take 30 - 60 minutes to eat but of course my servings sizes are more like the recommended size now (cup of vegetables & 3 oz Protein, 1 serve rolled oats, tub of yoghurt, etc.).

I sat near a clock with a second hand. I still didn’t slow it down as much as some but I made sure wash bite took a minute at least to chew. I never had any pain though. If you need to go even slower though, you can just measure more time between bites. I was thinking of learning to use chopsticks during the process but I never did go buy any.

I had to set a timer. I still suck at slowing down.

34 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

I had to set a timer. I still suck at slowing down.

Same. Same. 😅

I didn't have a problem of eating slow in weeks three to five but now that I no longer get foamies... Etc. due to healing, I'm getting bad again. Today's lunch took 15 minutes, and I felt that I chewed a lot but obviously, I didn't make the 30 minutes. 😆I will try again with putting the fork down.. Etc. and the tips on this thread.

I was told by the dietician I had to finish my meal in 30 minutes, so I'm not ever going to be as slow as some people. I just throw out what I haven't eaten at the end of 30 minutes. I chew my food to mush (it's disgusting and I hate it) and then look at the clock or wait to the next minute to take another mouthful. I also use small silverware as others have said. Also, if one bite gets stuck, I wait till I burp a few times and my chest feels clear before I take the next small bite. I often find being distracted with work or my phone will help me eat more slowly.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, erica1030 said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery almost a month ago and I am on soft bariatric foods. The biggest struggle I’ve had is learning to eat slowly! I started working on before surgery but I feel like I am still eating too fast, by the time I feel full it’s already too late and I’ve taken a bite or two too many because I ate too fast and didn’t let my body signal that I was full. Any advice on slowing down when I eat?

I am using baby spoons and bowls to eat and I find it to help with portioning my bites

Edited by TeeNeg12

I have an Apple Watch and installed an app called Mindful Eats. So at least it helps keep me to a bite a minute. I aim for 15-20 mins per meal. I was a very fast eater before.
There are stil moments I eat too fast. At least I don't get the nausea or vomiting, just sits "heavy" in my stomach.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, erica1030 said:

@erica1030 thank you for sharing it takes courage to seek help. Besides the marvelous counsel, you have gotten from our fellows. It also seems you may be experiencing some anxiety. Create a support line, I have been sober for 6 years from alcohol and other stuff. Why do I bring this is because my personality and behaviors is left unchecked could and have become addictive just like the one you express. Having said this I am no saying you have an addiction or a behavior my point is that I can understand your worrisome. I have a great support system put in place. I am in my 7 day post-op and I am meeting my daily liquids and Protein, but because of this I thought 🤔 I can do more when really I can't. My support system is Overeating Anonymous, I have a psychologist, a shrink and another counselor. I do 2 sessions of therapy a week do meetings etc. Hope my share could help you and bring hope