Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December 2021 bypass people?

Hi! December 6th here, this has been a crazy long process for me, and I was afraid it wouldn't happen this year, but I'm slipping in under the wire, lol.

I have been considering this surgery for over 10 years, finally got to a point where I am ready and sure of my decision (no easy feat for an indecisive and anxious person like myself), and have been seeing my PCP for a year and a half in preparation for this (insurance requires 6 months, but because of CVD it was hard to get appointments sometimes, so it stretched things out). I finally got the go-ahead from my surgeon and insurance company in the end of August, but was told they were canceling all elective surgeries in my region and they were booking out into mid-November, so I thought there is no way they are going to get me in before the end of the year with all of the cancellations, rescheduling, and not actually knowing when surgeries can be booked again, and I met my deductible this year. That mean that if I don't get the surgery done this year, it will cost me thousands more out of pocket, and at that point, I was giving up and going to Mexico.

Well, surgery is in 25 days, and I am 5 days into my prescribed preop diet (which I despise, I have texture sensitivity issues and Protein Shakes are ick), and I was petrified. I am doing well so far, not as bad as I thought, I am allotted 5 Optifast shakes (can sub one of those for a bar or Soup daily) and one food meal with 1/2 c. lean Protein, 1-2 c. non-starchy vegetables, 1 tsp fat, and one serving of fruit, with unlimited (but reasonable amounts, the calories do still add up) sugar-free popsicles, dill pickles, cucumbers, and celery, no dairy, vinegars and mustard allowed, salt-free seasonings as well.

It really hasn't been so bad, but I prefer volume at this stage, so raw veggies are my daily food meal, but I miss something warm and comforting in the chilly weather. I find that I'm not even craving junk food, like, a bowl of garlicky black or pinto Beans would be so good right now, lol, but no starches, so no beans.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts, if anyone cares to share as well.

HW: 400+ (no scale at that time, highest measured weight was 399)

SW: 384

CW: 338

GW: Healthy and active

35 minutes ago, Sleeve2Bypass2021 said:

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum.

December 7th here!!! Terrified and happy at the same time 🤣🤣🤣

I’m scheduled for the 10th and I’m scared too. I’m happy to be taking this major step but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared. Good luck! ☺️

On 11/16/2021 at 07:35, Lori Y said:

I start my liquid diet on 12/7 for surgery date of 12/21. I'll be sipping Bone Broth while my family enjoys beef tenderloin!

I meet with my Dr today I am to have surgery on the 22nd. I was hoping for Thanksgiving dinner since Christmas will be out of the way! But I’ll find out today! I just got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea so I am not sure if that will bump my surgery date. Fingers crossed it won’t I find out in about an hour!

23 hours ago, Len Len said:

They didn't even address my sleep apnea, other than to say I'll probably quit having it!

I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea when I had my sleep study required for surgery. The neurologist never called me so I asked by bariatric surgeon about it. She said that it most likely will go away by 6 months post op. She said it wasn't worth going through all the hassle of getting a CPAP machine and the various sleep studies required to have it calibrated for me for such a short time. If it does not go away by 6 mos post op, then she said I should look into CPAP.

I am having revision surgery on December 17th. I am still waiting for cardiac clearance and I'm more nervous than the first time. I guess because I am 10 years older.

I’m a December bypass patient!

December 17th pre-op evaluation
December 29th surgery date and

January 3rd is my 1 week review

I’m excited and getting ready for my new lifestyle. Came here to get some supplements and connect with folks who understand the excitement I am feeling. Also the anxiousness and feelings of not being ready quite yet for what I need to get before going into the hospital.

23 hours ago, jessika69 said:

I don't think I am going to believe this is happening until the actual date of surgery. Minor setbacks have me doubting everything. My insurance had closed out my case because I didn't respond to the email, because I didn't check my spam (totally my fault). But no phone call which is what I was expecting. They told me it's fine to just reopen and doctor's office says everything is fine, I'm just stressing! ugh.

I am having revision surgery on December 17th. I am still waiting for cardiac clearance and I'm more nervous than the first time. I guess because I am 10 years older.

Is it easy to get approved with BCBS federal?