Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Buddies!!!

Hello Everyone!

I had my vsg on November 29. I will be 2 weeks on tomorrow. At my first first appointment post opp a week and 2 days I lost 22 pounds. I’m here to help motivate other’s as well on this journey!

Hi TJ! I was Nov 29th also! So happy to have my follow-up tomorrow! Woke up this morning feeling like my stomach (internal) is swollen. So far the worst pain has been psychological but I think I'm mostly past that. Didn't even realize how attached to food I was. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd breakdown for not having chips. I seriously thought I was losing it! Even through all the "buyer's remorse" I can see improvement! Just keep going!

Hi, I was also November 29th.

Since I started the pre-op diet I have lost 37 pounds.

Great job Valboosky! Are you finding anything hard to deal with?

Just now, Tgregorski said:

Great job Valboosky! Are you finding anything hard to deal with?

The part I hate the most so far is crushing the many meds and having to take them that way.

I've also been struggling with Protein Shakes as they are very sweet. I've never been one to really like sweets.

Do you like Peanut Butter or almond butter? I found if you get a non-flavoured Protein Powder and mix it with almond milk you get a less sweet protien drink.

As for the meds, sorry I got nothing for that. I guess I'm lucky my meds are small so i don't have to crush.

12 minutes ago, Valboosky said:

The part I hate the most so far is crushing the many meds and having to take them that way.

I've also been struggling with Protein Shakes as they are very sweet. I've never been one to really like sweets.

If you are allowed caffeine the cafe latte by premiere Protein is the only one that didn’t taste too sweet to me post surgery. Also the clear protein waters were less sweet. If you are having serious trouble with the meds you could consider having them compounded into liquid? It’s not cheap but it’s an option for many meds. They can combine some of them so you won’t have to take as many doses. I never thought to ask about the liquid they use though. It may have sugar?? I have to do it for my dog is the only time i have done it. Something to look into.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Hi Barb,
So far my stomach isn’t in a lot of pain. I have most pain when standing up for a while or trying to bend. I also stopped taking pain pills once I got discharged from the hospital to be more alert if something went wrong.

That's an amazing amount of loss! I fasted 24 hrs prior to surgery. I'm only taking my normal meds and vit c. I have been taking meds whole since surgery. I did have to change from Premier Protein to Fairlife Protein which made all the difference! It's so strange how every doctor has different pre/post op instructions.

Yes, I’m in a surprising amount of pills.

I’m on two different high blood pressure meds despite my latest readings being 120/80.

I’m on Eliquis which is a blood thinner/anti clot.

Also meds to prevent gall bladder stones which can happen with rapid weight loss.
Also Vitamin D pills.

I’m trusting my surgeon. He’s the head of minimally invasive surgery at Columbia in NY and I’m told he’s one of the best in the country.

Sounds like you’re on the same pills as me. I’ve been swallowing them whole. At first I broke the gall bladder pill in half, but after the 4th week, I could swallow it whole. I have to take a lot of pills and hate it. Hopefully some of them will eventually be stopped. I’m with you on the Protein Shakes. I’m going to bag most of mine up soon and donate them. I think I can get my Protein in with food. I’m on week 6 now. The protein Soups are acceptable, but now I really hate the shakes.

Hi everyone, it's now just over a month since my surgery and I am feeling pretty much back to normal. I'm having some trouble slowing down my eating - I tend eat the first three-quarters of a meal really quickly and then kind of remember I'm not supposed to and slow right down. I'm still having a bit of a problem with getting enough fluids - I really need to prioritise that more. What tends to happen is I get hungry (and sadly I do get properly hungry several times a day) and start eating immediately, when what I should really do is drink a glass of Water first to make sure I'm up to date with fluids. Repeat this 3 or 4 times a day and there are several hours when I can't or don't want to drink anything because I'm full.

Otherwise it's full steam ahead. After a long stall post-op I have now lost 7lbs since I came home exactly 4 weeks ago. I'm hoping to see a bit more next month - averaging 600-700 calories a day, definitely no more and sometimes a bit less.

How is everyone else getting along now?

Edited by Spinoza
spelling

I had my surgery on 11/9 and had my first bad experience with food yesterday. I had some roasted chicken breast and ended up throwing up. I chewed it well, but I guess like others have reported about chicken breast, it is too dry for me and didn’t move through my stomach very well. After eating, I had a feeling in my chest like the food was just sitting there and my saliva was coming back up. After about 45 minutes, I had some Water and then threw up. It was a really weird feeling coming up since we don’t drink before or after eating. After that I felt better. I’ve had chicken breast before, but it was from a Chinese restaurant and was steamed, so it was very moist and tender. It didn’t bother me at all. I will for sure make sure all meat I eat from now on is very moist or with a sauce.
This morning a half hour after eating, I took my first one a day Vitamin capsule along with my other medications. About a half an hour later, I felt like I was going to throw up. I took some deep breaths and thankfully the feeling passed. I’m not sure if the feeling came from the new vitamin, but I’m glad I didn’t lose the medications I had just taken.
I hope everyone is doing well!