Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Buddies!!!

Hi Everyone

Started the pre-op diet today and I must say things are going great. My gastric sleeve surgery date is November 23rd. I am excited and ready to get it done.

I’m pre op. Probably surgery February or March. Just a few more nutrition sessions to complete. I’m in St. Louis also. Good luck to all. Can’t wait my turn. My program requires 2 week diet of no more than 1400 cals. No liquid diet thank goodness

On 11/4/2021 at 6:04 PM, HAPPYTRACE said:

Tomorrow! Nov 5th is my surgery @ 8:30am (be there @ 6:30am)!

I am getting gastric sleeve and staying overnight (per insurance). I just bought about $40 in Soups & sugar free drinks & had miso Soup w/out the tofu & seaweed for dinner.

So excited, it's been a year long process!

I had my surgery on Nov 5th as well. I hope all is going well. How long are you required to do Clear Liquids post-op?

10 hours ago, woofgrr said:

CARETAKER ADVICE, PLEASE:

I'm spending the first 24 hours in a recovery center, but after that I'm going home to my apartment. I live alone, and I have a friend picking me up and checking in on me post-surgery, but no one in my apartment. Did you need help from someone who needed to BE there after the first 24 hours?

I'm generally a recovery hermit who prefers not to have people in my orbit when I'm not feeling well, but my sister is trying to convince me she needs to fly in to take care of me. Who wants awful gas pains with company?

I had my surgery yesterday. I think you’ll be okay without care the next day. My pain isn’t too bad, but I feel like crap. I think the nausea comes on with the burps. Im not supposed to pick up anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks so plan ahead for that.

Day two of recovery going towards 3 days, my doctor requires that all gastric sleeve patients spend a day in the hospital to monitor if they're keeping things down and monitor if they are getting in enough fluids, so I didn't get to go home until yesterday evening. I was so happy to be back home where its nice and warm, the hospital was trying to start me on the full liquid diet yesterday and I don't think my lil pouch is ready so I've been sticking to clear fluids. They even gave me apple juice that wasn't sugar free so I had diluted some of it to drink. In the hospital all they gave me for pain was Tylenol which thankfully was enough for me, I've just been having a lot of issues with Nausea. I'm not exactly sure why, I did throw up the first day but it was mostly gastric Fluid and oldish blood. Since I woke up I've been having rather intense feelings of hunger (I think I got unlucky, I never felt this hungry before surgery.. like, ever. In fact my lack of appetite was often an issue), then the hunger turns into nausea. I'm not sure what to do about that, but did give me Ondansetron for dealing with the nausea. It might be because I've been sticking mostly to Water, in the first 24 hours I managed about 5 ounces of water and 1 ounce of broth. The next day about 5 ounces of water, 2 ounces of diluted apple juice. Today I've managed about 3 ounces of water thus far.

Hi! I had my surgery yesterday and so far so good. I’m experiencing some gas pains but other than that the pain has been manageable. Good luck to everyone that is counting down the days to surgery. I’m so relieved it is over 👏👏. Now on to recovering and learning about my new sleeve.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, Malaika83 said:

Hi ,

My surgery was on Nov 4 . I’m back home now and trying to recover. Having lots of cramps and gas pain.

Hope all is going well!

I’m on day 2 of my surgery. I’m not having much pain from the surgery. My problem is nausea, sore throat, and having a bad headache. They took away my lidocaine drip to see if it is causing the Migraine. I also got Pepcid to see if that helps with the nausea. My heart started acting up during surgery and they want to monitor it. I have a feeling I will be here another night.

3 hours ago, LurkieKitty said:

Day two of recovery going towards 3 days, my doctor requires that all gastric sleeve patients spend a day in the hospital to monitor if they're keeping things down and monitor if they are getting in enough fluids, so I didn't get to go home until yesterday evening. I was so happy to be back home where its nice and warm, the hospital was trying to start me on the full liquid diet yesterday and I don't think my lil pouch is ready so I've been sticking to clear fluids. They even gave me apple juice that wasn't sugar free so I had diluted some of it to drink. In the hospital all they gave me for pain was Tylenol which thankfully was enough for me, I've just been having a lot of issues with Nausea. I'm not exactly sure why, I did throw up the first day but it was mostly gastric Fluid and oldish blood. Since I woke up I've been having rather intense feelings of hunger (I think I got unlucky, I never felt this hungry before surgery.. like, ever. In fact my lack of appetite was often an issue), then the hunger turns into nausea. I'm not sure what to do about that, but did give me Ondansetron for dealing with the nausea. It might be because I've been sticking mostly to Water, in the first 24 hours I managed about 5 ounces of Water and 1 ounce of broth. The next day about 5 ounces of water, 2 ounces of diluted apple juice. Today I've managed about 3 ounces of water thus far.

Hope all is going well!

3 days post op. Pain is mostly gone just soreness around my incision sights especially the big one they remove the stomach through. Keeping liquids down pretty well I have 12 ounces down since 9 o’clock and it’s 11 here so that’s good. Also have had 2 4oz Protein Shakes on top of that. A word of advice…. Make sure you advocate for yourself to get the nausea patch behind your ear and good pain meds if you need them. My pain was almost unbearable day 1 and had nausea like crazy, dry heaving every hour it felt like. Meanwhile my wife had the nausea patch and morphine and was sleeping like nothing even happened.

Glad you all are feeling better! The first 1-2 days are usually the worst.

For nausea my Dr. prescribed Zofran (Ondansetron) 3 times/day for a week (I think). It has worked well (except the one time I missed a dose :) )

24 minutes ago, Tristenhilpert97 said:

3 days post op. Pain is mostly gone just soreness around my incision sights especially the big one they remove the stomach through. Keeping liquids down pretty well I have 12 ounces down since 9 o’clock and it’s 11 here so that’s good. Also have had 2 4oz Protein Shakes on top of that. A word of advice…. Make sure you advocate for yourself to get the nausea patch behind your ear and good pain meds if you need them. My pain was almost unbearable day 1 and had nausea like crazy, dry heaving every hour it felt like. Meanwhile my wife had the nausea patch and morphine and was sleeping like nothing even happened.

I have the nausea patch and have been getting something in my IV for nausea, but I’m still nauseous. I don’t have it as bad as you though. Today is the first day they have given me liquids, I’m taken it slow. So far I’ve had about 4 oz. I’m taking it slow.

End of Day 2 post op update

drank 40 grams of Protein in total today, sitting at 42 ounces of Water. Feeling icky still with lots of gas in my esophagus it feels like

On 11/9/2021 at 6:40 PM, 3Grands040917 said:

Hi Everyone

Started the pre-op diet today and I must say things are going great. My gastric sleeve surgery date is November 23rd. I am excited and ready to get it done.

My surgery date is the same as yours! I just started my preop diet on Tuesday. I am having the RYGB.

I just had my procedure yesterday, I’m home now resting. Feeling a little uncomfortable with stomach cramping. Anyone else feeling like this post sleeve?