Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Buddies!!!

I feel for you both. That's different that your hospitals are not offering anything more than Tylenol. I did receive Tylenol and also had options to request narcotics for pain relief. The Tylenol was not cutting the pain for me, so I did opt for stronger pain medicine. My medical team also sent me home with 7 Oxycodon that have really helped me through the week. I'm on day 7 (post-op) and I feel 91% better! So HANG IN THERE! 😊 I'm looking forward to my first post-op appointment tomorrow. I can finally cough to clear my throat, blow my nose, and sleep for short periods on my side (I'm celebrating all of these little milestones!). 🤗

If you can- DO request stronger pain relief and DO use them safely as needed. Don't suffer. I have read a lot of members on here who share that they did not need them. I did. I never took more than one per 24 hours but it has aided in my comfort and recovery. My surgeon made to sure mention twice that they will not be refilled (for safety). That was totally acceptable/understandable.

Gas is a beast and be sure to take some gas-relief chewables. My medical team also provided this for me while in the hospital and while here at home. It was interesting how purified Water here in my home would create gas in my stomach versus juice or the water I drank while in the hospital. 🤔 You'll find certain liquids/juices do bloat and create painful gas. Be sure to ask about your gas-relief options because it makes such a big difference!

Out of curiosity since there seems to be a lot of variances in the actual procedure- how did your surgeon close up your incisions? My surgeon (who is the Chief of Surgery at the hospital I went to) just used medical tape and not the surgical glue that I think a lot of others use. I was surprised by this. But I am healing up well so I guess it's all good...

Edited by SparklesE

22 minutes ago, SparklesE said:

I feel for you both. That's different that your hospitals are not offering anything more than Tylenol. I did receive Tylenol and also had options to request narcotics for pain relief. The Tylenol was not cutting the pain for me, so I did opt for stronger pain medicine. My medical team also sent me home with 7 Oxycodon that have really helped me through the week. I'm on day 7 (post-op) and I feel 91% better! So HANG IN THERE! 😊 I'm looking forward to my first post-op appointment tomorrow. I can finally cough to clear my throat, blow my nose, and sleep for short periods on my side (I'm celebrating all of these little milestones!). 🤗

If you can- DO request stronger pain relief and DO use them safely as needed. Don't suffer. I have read a lot of members on here who share that they did not need them. I did. I never took more than one per 24 hours but it has aided in my comfort and recovery. My surgeon made to sure mention twice that they will not be refilled (for safety). That was totally acceptable/understandable.

Gas is a beast and be sure to take some gas-relief chewables. My medical team also provided this for me while in the hospital and while here at home. It was interesting how purified Water here in my home would create gas in my stomach versus juice or the Water I drank while in the hospital. 🤔 You'll find certain liquids/juices do bloat and create painful gas. Be sure to ask about your gas-relief options because it makes such a big difference!

Out of curiosity since there seems to be a lot of variances in the actual procedure- how did your surgeon close up your incisions? My surgeon (who is the Chief of Surgery at the hospital I went to) just used medical tape and not the surgical glue that I think a lot of others use. I was surprised by this. But I am healing up well so I guess it's all good...

She used the glue on the outside of the incisions. Also walked my self into a dry heaving fit but the only time I’m in less pain is when I’m walking

14 minutes ago, Tristenhilpert97 said:

She used the glue on the outside of the incisions. Also walked my self into a dry heaving fit but the only time I’m in less pain is when I’m walking

So sorry to hear. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Tristenhilpert97 said:

Honestly, if a Dr. told me they only gave Tylenol, I would probably look for another Dr. I understand the whole opioid crisis, but when you have a major surgery, their main concern should be keeping patients pain free so they can heal. Especially while in the hospital. Then a few narcotics for home, is not going to cause addiction. I had rotator cuff surgery 3 months ago and they gave you 20 to go home with. I did fine with them and hope I do as well for my VS tomorrow!! Best wishes to you. Hope you feel better soon. I do know my Doc makes sure you have pain meds in and out of the hospital.

On 11/08/2021 at 11:45, OutdoorsGirl said:

Good luck! My surgery is tomorrow. My pre-op diet flew by. I’ve only told my husband, son, and mother. I guess I’ll tell a few more relatives at Thanksgiving dinner since I won’t be eating normally. I should be on the soft food stage by then. Unjury has a chicken flavored Protein Powder that you could have for Thanksgiving. I mix it with 140 degree Bone Broth and spices and it’s not too bad and the pumpkin pie flavored Premier Protein is pretty good too if you can find it.

I’ve put that on my list! Thanks for the tips! Good luck tomorrow. You’ve got this!

Does anyone remember how much Water they could drink the first two days? I think part of my dry heaving may be from taking to big of a sip of water but I’m taking little enough ones they are barely getting my lips wet.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:26 PM, SparklesE said:

I'm feeling better with each passing day. Surgery was on the 1st, I was released the next morning. Day 3, my largest incision is still pretty sensitive. I cannot cough to clear my throat or else I'm in a good amount of pain. It feels like I'm going to rupture my incision. 😳 I can swallow Tylenol capsules and liquids with little-to-no issue. I am on a 7 day clear liquid diet post-op. At my one week check-up next week I will be able to transition to full liquids including Protein Shakes and malt-o-meal/grits (which I'm really looking forward to!!😛). Right now, it's just apple and cranberry juice, Water, tea, broth, and sugar free Jello. I've also been walking around and up and down stairs. There is minor pain when ambulating, but it's tolerable. I showered the first day home with no issues. I would say so far so good! 🙌

I was wondering if your pain has subsided now that your 8 days post op. I had my surgery Nov 1st as well. I’ve been coughing a lot now than I did since the first few days of my surgery. I didn’t have as much pain. That was weird. Now I’m feeling the pain especially when I cough. I hope I didn’t pull anything. It is painful on the lower right. I’m glad you’re doing well.

9 hours ago, Tristenhilpert97 said:

Does anyone remember how much Water they could drink the first two days? I think part of my dry heaving may be from taking to big of a sip of Water but I’m taking little enough ones they are barely getting my lips wet.

While you are on IV, there is no risk of dehydration. I just drank water to help with the gas pain.

So, on Day 0 (surgery), I drank maybe 4 - 5 oz of water.

On Day 1, I drank a bit more, around 10 oz or so. (I would walk up with pain, have 1 oz, burp :), and walk for 15 mins, if still in pain do this 1-2 more times. I would walk up every 1-2 hours during the night, fun!)

On Day 2, I drank between 10-20 oz.

However, I didn't have Hiatal Hernia repair, I've read that if you get that, it's a bit more painful to swallow water at the beginning.

And, yes, gas pains are a beast.

Hope this helps.

10 minutes ago, Lifestyle Changer said:

I’ve been coughing a lot now than I did since the first few days of my surgery. I didn’t have as much pain. That was weird. Now I’m feeling the pain especially when I cough.

Check with your medical team about the cough. It never hurts (pun intended :))

This may not be related, but.. did they give you a spirometer to take home, or indicated breathing excercises? On every generaral anesthesia surgery, there is often some minor lung collapsing. In the case of laparasopic (keyhole) surgery, this is usually very minor.

My surgeon gave me one post-op, and told me to do the breathing excercises every day. On the first day, while doing the excercise, and reaching my limit, I would cough. Went away on day 2.

26 minutes ago, Lifestyle Changer said:

I was wondering if your pain has subsided now that your 8 days post op. I had my surgery Nov 1st as well. I’ve been coughing a lot now than I did since the first few days of my surgery. I didn’t have as much pain. That was weird. Now I’m feeling the pain especially when I cough. I hope I didn’t pull anything. It is painful on the lower right. I’m glad you’re doing well.

My pain is very tolerable now that I'm on day 8 post-op. For the past week, I have had an ice pack on my largest incision 24 hours a day. The ice packs REALLY helped tremendously! 🥶 I highly suggest getting 2 or more and keep your incision iced to numb the pain/discomfort as it heals. Last night was the first night where I could sleep without an ice pack. So my pain is definitely minimizing. I'm only taking Tylenol, Prilosec, a cramping relief medication and a gas relief medication.

While in the hospital, I had pain coughing as well. I also had slight pain when taking in a deep breath. At the time, I was laying down while coughing/taking in deep breaths. I found when I stood up- that pain was not there while I was in standing position. My nurse and I both agreed that it was muscle pain and not an issue with my lungs (thank God because I was concerned about blood clots even though I have no past history). I did use a Spirometer to practice inhaling throughout my hospital stay and to reinflate my lungs after being put under anesthesia.

Congratulations to you, too! I'm sorry to hear that you're coughing more. I would monitor your symptoms and reach out to your nurse if you do not feel you are improving. God forbid it's anything serious- but you don't want to wait too long if you are having lung pain (blood clots, Covid, etc)...

I wish you the best and keep us posted on how you're doing. Sending love and support ♥️

My surgery is on the 24th and I just started the pre-op diet. I am supposed to do 4-5 shakes a day and ... that is actually more food than I normally eat. It's going to be a struggle to force myself to drink the shake when I am very much not hungry or even feeling nauseated from being too full.

The Ozempic I am on really doesn't work well for eating often. 😅 So this is going to be a weird 15 days for me. I was losing weight before the pre-op diet so we'll see what this does to my progress. As long as I have the surgery, anything else is just a bump in the road, I can deal.

Hello. I’m Nov. 19th

CARETAKER ADVICE, PLEASE:

I'm spending the first 24 hours in a recovery center, but after that I'm going home to my apartment. I live alone, and I have a friend picking me up and checking in on me post-surgery, but no one in my apartment. Did you need help from someone who needed to BE there after the first 24 hours?

I'm generally a recovery hermit who prefers not to have people in my orbit when I'm not feeling well, but my sister is trying to convince me she needs to fly in to take care of me. Who wants awful gas pains with company?

On 11/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, Jen_commits2befit said:

I’m on my 8th day of the 2week pre-op liver shrinking diet. I have to say I’m getting used to it, I haven’t been as hungry as I was the first 5days. My gastric bypass surgery date is also November 8th. I’m excited and nervous at the same time.

Hope all is going well!

On 11/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, kimdlawson06 said:

Underwent a revision and hernia repair on Nov 5th. Lots of bloating but it’s getting better. Good luck everyone!

Hope all is going well!