Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Buddies!!!

On 11/06/2021 at 10:03, summerseeker said:

Wow thats a amazing amount of weight to drop in a week, How long do you do it for ? I am 21 days and on day 4. What is your regime ? Mine is a quart of milk, ff Yogurt, non carb veg and 3 pieces of fruit a day

As of today (7 days pre op) I’m officially down 21 lbs

Mine is Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch
fruit snack
Protein snack (2 oz of cheese, yogurt, or 2 boiled eggs)
1 sensible dinner and I can choose a protein, vegetable, starch)

I gained about two pounds between the surgery day and getting home. Five days after the surgery, I’m down four pounds.

I started my pre-op on 10/26 and I'm down 15 so far. I've been having mostly Protein Shakes, Protein Water, a few meals with a protein and vegetables, fage 0% plain greek yogurt with tajin seasoning, Protein Powder with Bone Broth, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal a few times. I've also been mixing the protein shakes with hot Decaf tea or decaf coffee to change things up now and then. My plan also allows sugar free pudding, apple sauce and sugar free Jello as Snacks, but so far I haven't had them. I'm counting down to Tuesday 11/9.

Monday is the day!!!

We made it through the 2 week full liquid pre op diet and are both very anxious about Monday. Mine is at 1145 and my wife’s is at 145. Hoping for a good and speedy recovery!

4 minutes ago, Tristenhilpert97 said:

Monday is the day!!!

We made it through the 2 week full liquid pre op diet and are both very anxious about Monday. Mine is at 1145 and my wife’s is at 145. Hoping for a good and speedy recovery!

Do you need to change anything tomorrow for the last day of your preop diet? My surgery is on Tuesday. I’m feeling anxious too and I’m afraid I’ll forget something. My instructions are nothing after midnight and to shower twice with antibacterial soap (night before and in the morning). Hopefully I haven’t missed anything. Good luck to both of you.

48 minutes ago, OutdoorsGirl said:

Do you need to change anything tomorrow for the last day of your preop diet? My surgery is on Tuesday. I’m feeling anxious too and I’m afraid I’ll forget something. My instructions are nothing after midnight and to shower twice with antibacterial soap (night before and in the morning). Hopefully I haven’t missed anything. Good luck to both of you.

Nope just no Protein Drinks after 11 PM Sunday night and only Water up to 4 hours prior to surgery start. Good luck to you as well!

19 minutes ago, Malaika83 said:

Hi ,

My surgery was on Nov 4 . I’m back home now and trying to recover. Having lots of cramps and gas pain.

Same here :) gas pain much less, but still present after day 2.
Hope you feel better.

Surgery all done feeling a bit sore but so glad they took out band and done sleeve in same surgery. Have the worst dry mouth can't stop drinking been up and walking though try and shift some gas. Hope all who had their surgery's yday are doing well xx

Thanks Summerseeker and Timeisnear for the support. I know the Fluid weight will disperse but I was just surprised by that. I should have known that taking me of my diuretic would have me holding fluid though. Not worried just hope to see progress. i am able to walk very comfortably now. Yesterday I got in over 3500 steps and i enjoyed the walk. Getting in the fluids an ounce at a time is like a full time job, seriously! Hope all who have had their procedures are doing well and those on the varied liver diets hang in there.

Hello! I'm new to posting on the forum although, I have been lurking without an account for quite some time. My surgery is also tomorrow. They gave me three Ensure pre-surgery clear, they said take two by midnight, and the other 3 hours before the surgery.

5 minutes ago, LurkieKitty said:

Hello! I'm new to posting on the forum although, I have been lurking without an account for quite some time. My surgery is also tomorrow. They gave me three Ensure pre-surgery clear, they said take two by midnight, and the other 3 hours before the surgery.

Lucky You! Each surgeon follows different guidelines. My surgery was at 3 PM, So I had to be without food/water since midnight.

Your surgeon is following the newer studies that say that it is better to drink Clear Liquids up to 2 hours prior to reduce incidence of nausea post op.

Anyways, congrats, and best of luck tomorrow!

16 minutes ago, LurkieKitty said:

I had to do nothing after midnight (not even water) but then three hours before surgery I had to drink 12oz of gatorade. That had to do with nausea too.

3 minutes ago, TheTimeIsNear said:

Lucky You! Each surgeon follows different guidelines. My surgery was at 3 PM, So I had to be without food/water since midnight.

Your surgeon is following the newer studies that say that it is better to drink Clear Liquids up to 2 hours prior to reduce incidence of nausea post op.

Anyways, congrats, and best of luck tomorrow!

Thanks! In all honesty, I was confused when they said it because I thought the whole reason for not drinking or eating anything before a surgery is so you don't hurl and choke on your own fluids or whatever while under. Mine is at 6 AM however, I kind of wish it was in the afternoon so I'd have more time to prep for it. I hope your recovery is going well!

3 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had to do nothing after midnight (not even water) but then three hours before surgery I had to drink 12oz of gatorade. That had to do with nausea too.

I wanted to try Gatorade while on this clear diet I have been on for two days, but I've a Citrus allergy so I didn't want to risk it. Even apple juice can cause me issues if I have too much of it, but I still like apple juice at least and I'm hoping I'd be able to have some unsweetened, possibly diluted? apple juice some time after the surgery is done, I don't know if they would allow me to have it the day of, maybe the day after? Did the Gatorade work as intended, though?

4 minutes ago, LurkieKitty said:

Thanks! In all honesty, I was confused when they said it because I thought the whole reason for not drinking or eating anything before a surgery is so you don't hurl and choke on your own fluids or whatever while under. Mine is at 6 AM however, I kind of wish it was in the afternoon so I'd have more time to prep for it. I hope your recovery is going well!

I am doing good with recovery. Gas pain almost gone. Thanks!

The no food after midnight was based on an old study I think from the '50s. But since 1999 they determined that there is no risk of aspiration (with entubation, etc).. but some surgeons still go by the old guidelines.

6 AM? Ouch, I had to be at the hospital 3 hours before surgery time.