Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss expectations?

I’m 5 weeks post op and I’m losing weight at a fairly good clip. Question: when the doctor says you should expect to lose 75% of the total amount you need to lose (or whatever the percentage is) from the surgery, should you expect that to happen continuously? Or will should I expect to hit a plateau before the 75%? Does that make any sense?

Yes, plateaus/stalls are common, and only indicate a pause in weight loss, not the end of it. You just keep following your program and the weight will continue to come off eventually.

I expect plateaus. I have had a few times where I've actually gained .4-.6 of a pound or stayed the same for a few days and I'm only 4 weeks out. That's true no matter how you lose weight, surgery or any other way. I don't know how long it will take me to get to whatever weight my body decides to settle at, but I know that having lost about 18 lbs in the first month, it will just get slower from here on out!

Guys, I know how much I want to lose when I have surgery, but honestly, just the IDEA of losing 10-15 lbs. the first month has me giddy with anticipation! I lose weight very slowly, and as I have gotten older, darn near impossible! I have 3-4 different sizes of clothes in my closet, and won't have to shop ever again! The word here is have to shop, it does not mean I won't shop!

16 minutes ago, oldandtired said:

Guys, I know how much I want to lose when I have surgery, but honestly, just the IDEA of losing 10-15 lbs. the first month has me giddy with anticipation! I lose weight very slowly, and as I have gotten older, darn near impossible! I have 3-4 different sizes of clothes in my closet, and won't have to shop ever again! The word here is have to shop, it does not mean I won't shop!

Yeah, I'm shopping from the clothes that were in storage from when I had lost 100 lbs 7 years ago. I had almost gained it all back by January, when I started this process. I'm down almost 70 lbs now (18 since surgery 4 weeks ago), and a lot of the smaller clothes are fitting again, although I had given away a lot so I bought some stuff from a thrift store and a few basics from LL Bean and a new winter coat from Lands End. My winter coat from last year is a 3X so I ordered an XL, which is my current size.

The average weight loss post weight loss surgery at five years is around 65% of the weight to be lost to be in the healthy BMI range. I think that is the 75% your surgeon is probably referring to - the difference could be based upon your specific surgery, the stats of his patients & possibly you & your situation vs another patient.

As with all averages some lose more & can maintain it, some lose less & happily maintain at that weight.

In years 2-3, it’s not uncommon for people to put on 10+/-lbs from their lowest weight as they settle into their new eating style. Some lose some of that weight others are happy to stay there because it’s an easier weight to maintain.

As you’re losing you likely will experience stalls or (plateaus) almost everyone experiences at least one. It’s part of losing weight. Think of it as your body taking a break to try & catch up with the weight loss you’ve had so far. They break & you will start losing again if you stick to your plan.

The goal is to reach a weight you are happy with, can enjoy your life at & can maintain with out gaining or losing (not including our natural weight fluctuations of course).

Congrats on your weight loss so far.