Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I’m new here, and new to this lifestyle. I had surgery September 21, 2021 (Hiatal hernia repair, VSG, and gallbladder removed). I had moderate pain discomfort a few days after surgery but then felt great until 2 days ago. On Friday I started having diarrhea (more than 5 times a day). That continued through this morning. I know diarrhea is common after such surgeries, but is it normal to take so long and to last so long? It’s been hard but I feel like I’ve kept myself minimally hydrated to compete with the diarrhea. I have started to struggle getting in my Protein Shakes and puréed food literally is turning my stomach. Is this normal?
I'm not in “pain”, my incisions look great, I’m not running a fever.

Could it be a virus?

You may have a temporary bout of lactcose intolerance. If I recall correctly I think I had a bout or two of diarrhea in the first couple of weeks but nothing as sustained as yourself. Would be worth checking in with your surgeon or dietician I think.

1 hour ago, ymn said:

Could it be a virus?

I’ve wondered that myself lol. It’s hard to know when I just had so much done! Thank you.

1 hour ago, Hop_Scotch said:

You may have a temporary bout of lactcose intolerance. If I recall correctly I think I had a bout or two of diarrhea in the first couple of weeks but nothing as sustained as yourself. Would be worth checking in with your surgeon or dietician I think.

That’s possible I guess for the Protein Shakes. I’ve used a flavorless dissolvable Protein Powder today. Since surgery I’ve had it once or twice a day but the past two days have been exhaustingly excessive lol. I’ve focused on liquids today and adding my Protein to my hydration and have actually been a little better. Thank you for your thoughts!

Could be any of those causes. Plus the removal of your gall can trigger diarrhoea for a little while as your digestive system gets used to a continuous supply of bile instead of just when you eat. (The gall regulated the amount of bile going from your liver to your intestines to further digest food - storing it till it was needed.) if it persists contact your surgeon because it is essential you are able to absorb all the nutrients you can.

I would definitely reach out to your surgery center, just to be safe. You also need to make sure you're not dehydrated. Hope you feel better soon!

I agree with others. Best to get advice from your team. Hope it gets better soon.