Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories a day?

Hi all,

Just curious. How far out are you and how many calories are you eating a day? I'm almost 5 weeks and am around 900-1000 everyday and I'm concerned maybe too much? Curious where everyone is.

Are you following your post op guidelines with regards to food volumes/intake? Are you losing weight? If yes to both of these, I can't see how you are eating too much.

If would be helpful (but if you choose not to that is fine)if you filled in your profile it gives context to questions and helps members in tailoring their responses.

There are so many plans with different expectations & requirements. As @Hop_Scotch said if you’re following your plan all is good. My plan didn’t have a caloric goal only portion size. If yours doesn’t either & you would feel more comfortable with one, ask your surgeon & dietician for some guidelines.

I used to check my calories randomly for my own interest. I had a low calories intake - only about 900 calories by goal. I consume about 1200/1300 (3 meals & 3 or 4 snacks) to maintain my weight as it is now at almost 2 1/2yrs (am in my mid 50s, small frame, not overly active). If I was more active I’d eat more calorie dense food.

Good luck.

What Arabesque and HopScotch said - Each program and person will vary (sometimes GREATLY). If you're losing weight and your nutritionist is happy, then you;re doing great!

yep - I agree with the others - programs are different. Some want their patients on very low calorie diets the first few months - others on higher calorie diets because (I think) they feel it's more sustainable. Some don't want you counting calories at all. As long as you're seeing a general downward trend in your weight, you're fine.

+1 to the above responses.

To your question:

At 5 weeks, I was at about 300-400 per day

At goal (7 months), was at 700-800 per day

1-2 years post, doing 2000+ per day (LOTSA exercise)

Today at 3 years post, at about 1800 per day (moderate exercise)

But that’s just me.

If you are losing, it’s probably safe to assume your calorie level is just about right for YOU. No need to fix what ain’t broke, I’d figure.

Good Luck! ❤️

I'm 20 months out and am eating around 1300-1400 calories a day. Of course, I have days where I eat less around 1050-1250 and days where I've eaten more high calorie foods and had as much as 1680 in a day, but I generally eat between 1300-1400 calories a day.

I'm a little over 2 months post-op (VSG to RNY revision) and am averaging 676 calories a day. I am on the fence whether to up it or ride the honeymoon wave. I asked my surgeon on my first post-op appointment, and he said to stay around this calorie range to lose more weight, that's about all the information I got.

I’m 8 weeks out and aiming for 700 kcal a day. Like you I didn’t get a caloric goal so I’m just doing what feels right. I think staying below/around 1000 is safe for the first year.

It can be frustrating when the surgeon/Nut do not give caloric guidelines. I did not get any either. I was told to just watch Protein and Water. I need more structure than that so I watch my carbs and fat intake too. I just keep my macros where they should be- and the calories seem to fall in the 900-1200 range for me most days. I am 7.5 months post vsg. If I go lower than 900 calories I seem to hit a stall. My protein goal is higher than 80 per my Nut due to my exercise/activity level.

I am 7 months out and I have around 8-900 a day. My team did not give me a calorie goal so idk if this is ideal or not. I actually have an appointment Wednesday and this is a question I will be asking.

Carp. I'm 4 weeks out and I'm already at 600-700 calories a day and still hungry all the time. I have half a Protein Shake mixed with 10 oz Decaf iced coffee for a start, then 150-250 calorie meal portions of eggs, Beans, ground meat, ricotta bake, that are all low carb and medium fat, then a different one of those for lunch, then a snack of a Protein shake or light and fit (80 calorie) Greek yogurt for a snack, and the same portion of whatever food for dinner. Last night I added sugar free hot cocoa made with high protein 1% milk because I couldn't take being hungry and I was also cold. I am drinking over 70 oz of liquid and protein is over 60g a day.

14 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Carp. I'm 4 weeks out and I'm already at 600-700 calories a day and still hungry all the time. I have half a Protein Shake mixed with 10 oz Decaf iced coffee for a start, then 150-250 calorie meal portions of eggs, Beans, ground meat, ricotta bake, that are all low carb and medium fat, then a different one of those for lunch, then a snack of a Protein shake or light and fit (80 calorie) Greek yogurt for a snack, and the same portion of whatever food for dinner. Last night I added sugar free hot cocoa made with high Protein 1% milk because I couldn't take being hungry and I was also cold. I am drinking over 70 oz of liquid and protein is over 60g a day.

That sounds about what I was doing when I was at your stage. I think you are doing fine.