Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days in the hospital?

I know this is a very broad question, but just trying to plan days off. I got a date, a Monday in December. I will be having RNY and wondering how many days I should ask off work? I work from home BUT I know that it will at least be a couple, right? Just wondering what the average of was from anyone here?

I only spent the one night in the hospital. It was supposed to be two but I didn’t have much pain and I was able to drink as expected so they let me go a day early. I am not working right now so I can’t speak about that but I know from these forums that people vary Drastically with how much time they take/ wish they could take off of work.

I was in and out of the hospital the same day (in at 8:30, out at 6) and took two weeks off work, and I'm glad I did.

1 night in the hospital for me. Went in at 9am Wed morning, and left at 2pm Thur afternoon.

I probably would have been fine to go back to work in a week (if it was a desk job). I remember getting super tired really easily with any exertion so anything more than sitting at a desk would have wiped me out.

Good Luck! ❤️

I was a mini gastric bypass and was in hospital for two nights. I was drinking Water well, so my surgeon said I could have gone home the next day, but my pain levels were still pretty high so I opted to stay in the second night.

The clinic info I got stated a typical bypass stay is 2-3 nights.

I went into the hospital in the AM and was on my way home by 4pm.
I took zero pain meds other than Tylenol that first day.
The dr actually wrote me off work for a month. Originally it was two weeks but I was having issues with my blood pressure dropping too low. They took me off my meds and I was able to do another two weeks without fainting so they let me go back to work.

I also spent one night in the hospital (sleeve) and took two weeks off from work. I work from home, but that was the right amount of time. I did check email every day the second week off and it was tiring and hard to concentrate, but by the end of the second week I was feeling pretty antsy. When I went back to work I was tired and had to lie down once a day during the first few days, but work was also slow that week so it wasn't an issue (and part of that might have been a bit of boredom). If you have any complications, you might need more, but if money is an issue, and your job isn't too stressful, you could probably do less.

Good luck!

I had RNY late in the afternoon on a Monday and went home Tuesday afternoon. I also work a desk job from home but took 2 weeks off, and I'm glad I did. Fatigue was the biggest problem.

I had a complication during surgery and my Dr. had to abandon laparoscopic surgery and cut me open. This meant three nights in the hospital. I only took 10 days off of work and do wish I'd taken a few more.

I had RNY and was in and out of the hospital with one overnight. I took two weeks off of work. Going back was HARD, mostly because there is a lot of walking/standing. I think it depends on the procedure, your job, and any other medical complications you may face. From others I’ve talked with in my follow up group support, two weeks was average to go back to work.

Oh yeah, one night stay was average for sleeve or bypass.

Three nights due to nausea post bypass. One day at home before onset of vomiting due to out of control nausea. Six days in the hospital. If you’re prone to nausea don’t mess around! I’ve got three alternating prescriptions and am ok thus far (released from hospital yesterday).

it's usually 1-2 nights in the hospital, depending on how you're doing.

I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two. I had a desk job (I'm now retired). But I could probably have gone back even earlier if I was working from home. The big problem after the first few days, like someone else said, is fatigue.

I’m hoping only 1-2 days. I’m afraid I can’t take 2 weeks because it is right at Christmas when other people want off too. I’m hopeful I can get surgery changed from a Monday to a Thursday or Friday so I can go back to work the next Monday. I’m hoping that will be enough time for me to do my desk job at home…..

I was in for 2 nights, but mine was due to nausea. I work from home an have been off for one week an I’m taking a second. I agree it’s the fatigue an just instantaneous tiredness thy I’m battling right now. Learning to try everything to get Protein an Water down has helped.