Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey is it normal during the puréed phase to be able to eat half a can of refríed Beans and two scrambled eggs? I feel full but not stuffed

In one sitting? It does seem like a lot - what are your diet instructions? (eg: I'm meant to be aiming for 1/4 cup six times a day - working up to 1/2 cup six times a day)

Eat till I’m satisfied

Those are some easy instructions! *frowns at my own*

Everyone seems to be different with what their stomach can tolerate, regardless of which procedure they have. Normal seems to be a wide spectrum.

I was also not given an "amount" to eat, just told to eat till I was satisfied. I can't eat that much in one sitting without getting pain in my chest and back, but I think it varies person to person. I was told not to eat for more than 30 minutes in one sitting, because if you eat so slowly that your stomach empties out then you're basically grazing so it's defeating the sleeve... however, I am hungry after the small amount I eat. I can eat 1-2 eggs worth of egg product or 1/3 cup of refried Beans, but I may be hurrying to get it all down in a half hour so I may still be eating too quickly. Curious to see what others say.

that seems like a lot for just being a couple weeks out. We were told to measure stuff out and just eat that. Your hunger/full signals are likely to be off for the first few weeks. Nerves were cut during surgery, and it takes them awhile to regenerate - so your stomach isn't always talking to your brain. Also, most of us don't start feeling restriction until we start eating solid foods. I would run this by your clinic's dietitian and get his/her feedback.

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

that seems like a lot for just being a couple weeks out. We were told to measure stuff out and just eat that. Your hunger/full signals are likely to be off for the first few weeks. Nerves were cut during surgery, and it takes them awhile to regenerate - so your stomach isn't always talking to your brain. Also, most of us don't start feeling restriction until we start eating solid foods. I would run this by your clinic's dietitian and get his/her feedback.

We were specifically told "no one can tell you how much to eat". I definitely feel restriction with eggs and refried Beans, but I still feel hungry after eating. It just hurts to eat. I talked to my surgeon yesterday and he was concerned that I was feeling hungry all day.

I was able to eat more than expected at each phase including soft and solid food as well. Even now at 7 months out I have to measure my food so I do not eat too much as I do not always feel my restriction after eating a

full serving size. This concerns me for when my hunger comes back but for now I just measure.

"Eating until I am satisfied" is what got me to needing WLS in the first place.

My plan is I eat 3 meals per day, each meal being 3oz Protein + 1oz veggies. I eat until the meal is gone or when my surgery says I'm done ["When I am satisfied" could be an interpretation of this], whichever comes first.

This long ago became my normal.

Good luck,

Tek

It is quite a bit, but I don't know how many weeks you are at or what surgery you had. I could kind of see that much if you are VSG (different sized sleeves variation) and if you ate the refried Beans first. But not if you ate the eggs first. If gastric bypass, one egg was max for me at a sitting during that time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app