Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

Had my first appointment with the surgeon and dietitian on Tuesday but ive only just thought of this question.. ill end up asking them at some point anyway but wanted to get opinions here first.

Might be a stupid question but after the surgery, what temperature should my fluids be?

I love ice cold Water in the summer(coming up to summer here in Australia now) but also love my tea hot.

Did anyone have any pain or discomfort having colder or warmer liquids? What was your experience with different temperature liquids in the first few weeks post op? Did you just go for room temperature liquids to be on the safe side?🤔

I've seen that people vary on this, especially right after surgery. I found that I really preferred very cold drinks and the first day or two enjoyed sucking on ice cubes (some people said crushed ice, but I don't have an ice maker in my fridge so the small ice cubes were my only option). In order to keep my drinks cold while I could only drink slowly, I would keep bottles of Water and flavored water in the fridge and rotate them as they got too warm. I still do this.

I drank hot broth in the first few days after surgery, so that didn't bother me either.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

I used to love really icy drinks. I can still drink them, but if something is really ice cold I cannot drink as quickly. If it is more room temp or on the warm/hot side, I am able to drink faster. In the beginning, warm/moderately hot liquids were very much appreciated by my gremlin (aka, the new stomach).

It's funny though - there are things I thought I couldn't live without, but post-surgery I am just not interested at all. So, I wouldn't fret. My guess is if icy liquid (or really hot liquid) bothers you, you may realize you no longer have interest in it anyway.

I had no problems with any temperature. I drink my drinks super cold with tons of ice and my tea/coffee hot.

I didn’t have any issues with temperature either. Drank Protein Shakes over ice and broth was hot as normal.

My nutritionist recommended room temperature liquids, at first, but I think it was just because it is believed to be most easily tolerated by many people. I did follow her recommendation for the first few days, but was able to switch to cooler or warmer liquids quickly. I did avoid hot or ice cold liquids for the first 2 or 3 weeks just to be cautious. Those were fine once I had them as well. (I do seem to be able to drink the Protein Shakes (Fairlife) easier at room temperature, though.)

You may want to try different temperatures to see what your new & healing stomach prefers. Just get the approval of your team if they gave you specific instructions. Good luck!😊

It really comes down to what you can tolerate.. Personally, I’m not good with really cold (except gin & champagne 😆). The cold cramps my tummy. Room temp is my preference & I found warm or Hot Drinks most soothing. I would warm my chocolate shake … & pretend it was hot chocolate.

On 10/07/2021 at 21:24, Arabesque said:

It really comes down to what you can tolerate.. Personally, I’m not good with really cold (except gin & champagne 😆). The cold cramps my tummy. Room temp is my preference & I found warm or Hot Drinks most soothing. I would warm my chocolate shake … & pretend it was hot chocolate.

Oh! Great idea to warm the chocolate Protein shake…thanks!

I CRAVE icy and frozen liquids. For whatever reason i have a really hard time finding sugar free popsicles around here. I ended up buying myself a popsicle mold and have been putting yogurt with a little pureed fruit in them, or chucking one of those tiny Honest Kids juiceboxes (which are watered down juice and only have like 30 calories) in the freezer for a couple hours to make "slushees" out of by squishing the box and pouring out the contents into a cup. I eat it with a spoon.