Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First All Inclusive vacation

I am currently 1/2 way through my first all- inclusive vacation in Punta Cana since surgery. We go every year as we have a membership at a resort. It s a challenge for sure. I am walking an hour every morning at sunrise so I get my 10K steps in before Breakfast. I am having some mixed drinks and this is the first week I have gone since surgery in February not measuring food. I am curious to see if I lose, maintain or gain weight this week. I was on a long stall prior to vacation so maybe it will just shake up my system back into weight loss. It is wonderful being here 109 lbs lighter than last year at this time. Anyone else take an all inclusive vacation after surgery?

I've never been on an all inclusive vacation but in the past I've always treated all of my vacations like "all you can eat" lol. I can't wait to stop doing that. I've been to 33? 35? countries and I've spent way too much of the trips focused on the food. It's too early now to go on a trip (still lifting restrictions) but I'll be traveling for work in 2.5 weeks and then we're going to Key West in Feb. Plus a lot of work trips in between, and holiday travel.

So jealous. That would definitely be a challenge though. Good you are getting your steps in and hopefully you are at least eating the right foods. If so I can’t see you gaining that much in a short trip. Enjoy it.

I went to India for a month in 2019. It wasn't all inclusive, but I ate more than I normally would (although I made it point NOT to overdo it). I came back about 5 lbs heavier, but probably half of that was Water that was gone in a few days. The rest wasn't too tough to get off. Enjoy yourself - try different things - and just focus on not overdoing it.

My first post-op AI vacay was at around 10 months post op (I was already in maintenance though).

I did eat too much (or too fast?) the first day and did barf a couple times as a result, and that was enough to keep me vigilant for the rest of the trip.

I ate just veggies and Protein 90% of the time. My carbs/sugars came from the crazy delicious Cookies at the coffee bar, and single bites (for taste, lol) of other’s Desserts, and mangoes the size of my head (yum!) I did still track all my food intake, but it was all guessing so…highly inaccurate….i’ll see if i can pull up my food logs from that time…?

Didn’t have any of the sugary mixed drinks, but did have wine, vodka sodas and tequila shots. Lots of it, i confess.

Went to the gym to run on the treadmill for an hour every morning, or joined in the resort’s organized morning road run for 5K (twice i did a 10k with them, the first time ever at that point to ever do that distance, EVER!)

I came home basically the same weight as i left. I was 119.8 the morning i left, came back 10 days later at 119.9

Now….compare this to a 2 week NON-AI trip i took a month later, and i came back 5lbs heavier (I didn’t nearly do as much exercise that time around, didn’t track a thing, and i ate bread, lol). But it was all good, i went back to tracking once home, back to running routine and lost that gain in about a week.

so i guess the lesson I learned here was that i stay on track when i track my food intake to be aware of my cal counts and make decisions on food accordingly.

3 years post op now, with many vacays under my belt since, im still tracking everything and im still basically the same weight (116.4 this morning)

Edited by ms.sss

On 9/29/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jaye W said:

I am currently 1/2 way through my first all- inclusive vacation in Punta Cana since surgery. We go every year as we have a membership at a resort. It s a challenge for sure. I am walking an hour every morning at sunrise so I get my 10K steps in before Breakfast. I am having some mixed drinks and this is the first week I have gone since surgery in February not measuring food. I am curious to see if I lose, maintain or gain weight this week. I was on a long stall prior to vacation so maybe it will just shake up my system back into weight loss. It is wonderful being here 109 lbs lighter than last year at this time. Anyone else take an all inclusive vacation after surgery?

I have one scheduled for the end of October at Playa Mujeres north of Cancun. I plan to spend time walking an hour or so as well and limit my food intake to high Protein foods like sushi, lean beef and fish. The alcohol I am going to have to limit as well. No mixed drinks with fruits and syrups, sticking to bourbon or scotch...3 to 4 a day max.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, ms.sss said:

I did still track all my food intake, but it was all guessing so…highly inaccurate….i’ll see if i can pull up my food logs from that time…?

Ok,I really just pulled up the logs for my own curiosity. That and I'm bored.

For funsies, here are my food logs for the first 7 days of my first AI vacay post op (@10 months, and in maintenance).

Again, it is probably highly inaccurate as I was just guessing what was in the food and tried to pick the closest match from the MFP database. Also, all those mojitos were actually vodka sodas...i think!!

Looking it over I guess I ate more crap than I remembered! Averaged about 2200 cals a day.

fba1.thumb.jpeg.84adb6e03bd7d425554d8e6a2209ec7b.jpeg

fba2.thumb.jpeg.c0596444eb8502f401e896aff03bc51d.jpeg

fba3.thumb.jpeg.03ea26d514b1ce9cdddd607dfc4b9830.jpeg

fba4.thumb.jpeg.9c49353229bdd7508ebdb69d2bdb5363.jpeg

Well I made it home from vacay and was 5 LBS heavier.. Can't imagine how much more it would have been if i did not exercise in the am while on vacation.

I have already lost 2 of those pounds since getting home Sunday. I am not going to freak out. I am back on track with my program/tracking. I made a choice to relax my food choices a bit and have some dessert while away and also drank some cocktails which is a rare thing for me to do at home.

Update… I have lost the 5 vacation lbs as well as 2 extra this week. This breaks the stall I was on before vacation. I am so grateful. Hoping to continue on towards my goal. Getting closer, yay!

I just spent 2 weeks at Walt Disney World, go home tomorrow. I’m only 4 months out, so the restriction definitely kept things in check. But I did try various things while still focusing on Protein. Some foods “sit” heavy, but I did not have any reactions overall to the different foods. I’m sure the scale will show an increase Monday, Water weight due to eating carbs & the humidity. But, I’m hoping for a drop the following week because I did a tonne of walking that more than counteracted the food I ate. (I still tracked best I could - mainly to keep on top of protein intake)

3 hours ago, MistySkye said:

I just spent 2 weeks at Walt Disney World, go home tomorrow. I’m only 4 months out, so the restriction definitely kept things in check. But I did try various things while still focusing on Protein. Some foods “sit” heavy, but I did not have any reactions overall to the different foods. I’m sure the scale will show an increase Monday, Water weight due to eating carbs & the humidity. But, I’m hoping for a drop the following week because I did a tonne of walking that more than counteracted the food I ate. (I still tracked best I could - mainly to keep on top of Protein intake)

Sounds like you have it under control. Safe travels back home!

After 2 weeks…I’m up 0.6 from the day I left 🙂 …normal vacation pre-surgery I’d be up 5+ lbs.

So, I’m fully expecting a swoosh as I return to my normal diet today. (As I had way more sugar & carbs than I normally do)