Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Xihoid process - Additional surgery

Has anyone she had a problem with their xiphoid process?

The xiphoid process is the smallest region of the sternum, or breastbone. It’s made up of cartilage at birth but develops into bone in adulthood. It’s located where the lower ribs attach to the breastbone. The tip of the xiphoid process resembles a sword.

Mine sticks out and feels like a half of a golf ball most days. It is hard, uncomfortable, my bra rubs on it and it makes me nauseous most of the time when eating. My doctor said it can protrude out with weight gain, but should go back down with weight loss. Mine hasn't and I only have about 35 more pounds to go to my goal weight. I am getting surgery to remove it in about two weeks. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine is pretty prominent after losing weight. I didn't know it could be removed. I wish I had known that when I had my latest plastic surgery 6 weeks ago. I had a breast lift, reverse abdominoplasty and back lift. Since it was the same area he could of just taken it out. That is one of the "signs" people use to tell you you are getting to skinny, "I can see your bones!" Mine doesn't really bother me though.

I would love to have the other plastic surgeries, but my insurance only covers skin removal of the abdomin. I wish I could afford the rest! But this is just too uncomfortable for me. I didn't go through all of this to still be miserable. Thx for sharing your story.

it's really common for it to stick out after weight loss (mine does) - I never thought about having it removed, though. Although mine doesn't particularly bother me...

On 9/28/2021 at 5:41 AM, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Mine is pretty prominent after losing weight. I didn't know it could be removed. I wish I had known that when I had my latest plastic surgery 6 weeks ago. I had a breast lift, reverse Abdominoplasty and back lift. Since it was the same area he could of just taken it out. That is one of the "signs" people use to tell you you are getting to skinny, "I can see your bones!" Mine doesn't really bother me though.

Just had the xiphoid process removable this Monday, outpt surgery. They wouldn't let me keep it!! I wanted a souvenir. Not bad, but I never realized how hard it would be to do things. Bending over is not fun right now. Lol Hopefully it will prove to be worth it. Next surgery: double knee replacement. No cartilage in either. First one next month. Can't wait. They're really getting bad. The irony: they've never been this thin!! Can't win.