Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October surgery friends??



Recommended Posts

Hey October '21 friends! Checking in. How is everyone doing?

Things "feel" good over here and I'm healing well. Started hitting Orangetheory two weeks ago and it feels good to be working out again (I was an avid fitness person for years pre-op, so it's part of my identity).

I feel like I've been slow to lose- which honestly, I'm OK with. I'm following my surgeon's office orders, but I feel like they'll tell me at my next appointment I'm not losing quickly enough (they mentioned it a little at my previous 1 month appointment)- anybody else struggle with that? I know I'm getting smaller, but my office doesn't measure me each time I come in.. only weighs.

Been meeting my hydration, Protein, and calorie goals. Starting on the 29th, I'll be asked to up my calories again and pay attention to carbs & fat as well (I'm already paying attention to these as I've set the recommendations in my Baritastic app already).

Anyway, that's how it's going here in my 9th week. I am about 1lb away from a 50lb total loss since starting my journey in May, so that's something to Celebrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, Meganator said:

Hey October '21 friends! Checking in. How is everyone doing?

Things "feel" good over here and I'm healing well. Started hitting Orangetheory two weeks ago and it feels good to be working out again (I was an avid fitness person for years pre-op, so it's part of my identity).

I feel like I've been slow to lose- which honestly, I'm OK with. I'm following my surgeon's office orders, but I feel like they'll tell me at my next appointment I'm not losing quickly enough (they mentioned it a little at my previous 1 month appointment)- anybody else struggle with that? I know I'm getting smaller, but my office doesn't measure me each time I come in.. only weighs.

Been meeting my hydration, Protein, and calorie goals. Starting on the 29th, I'll be asked to up my calories again and pay attention to carbs & fat as well (I'm already paying attention to these as I've set the recommendations in my Baritastic app already).

Anyway, that's how it's going here in my 9th week. I am about 1lb away from a 50lb total loss since starting my journey in May, so that's something to Celebrate.

Hi!

I'm 3 months out and so far I'm doing pretty good! I Think I am a slow loser, compared to some, but, I am losing steadily and I am happy with that! At my 3 month post-op, I was told I'm doing really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting close to 50# since March and I'm pleased. Sounds to me like you are doing great. The gym for more consistent workouts is my next step.,. just hoping Covid slows up a bit around here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surgery was Oct. 5 and I lost 48 lbs so far. I stalled for about 4 weeks but I was not hydrating as I should have. I’ve recently picked back up my Water intake and the weight is coming off steadily now. I’m still getting used to a lot of changes. My body is not tolerating too many foods, especially lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 2:47 AM, Letseeaboutthis said:

My surgery was Oct. 5 and I lost 48 lbs so far. I stalled for about 4 weeks but I was not hydrating as I should have. I’ve recently picked back up my Water intake and the weight is coming off steadily now. I’m still getting used to a lot of changes. My body is not tolerating too many foods, especially lately.

I’m currently in that 4 week long stall it seems 😬😬 did you change anything besides drinking more Water? My scale keeps going up and down the same 2-3lbs and its agony!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/14/2022 at 15:19, Arancini said:






I’m currently in that 4 week long stall it seems 😬😬 did you change anything besides drinking more Water? My scale keeps going up and down the same 2-3lbs and its agony!!


I also scaled back on introducing new food and went back to the soft food phases for a few days and I also increased my Protein intake. For three days , I did all Water and protein, no extra Snacks. This seemed to help tremendously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Letseeaboutthis said:

I also scaled back on introducing new food and went back to the soft food phases for a few days and I also increased my Protein intake. For three days , I did all Water and Protein, no extra Snacks. This seemed to help tremendously.

Did you also reduce portion size?
I’m not really eating much new foods (like you I’ve become super sensitive to what I like) but my portion sizes have definitely gone up. I’m still in a huge caloric deficit so I’m struggling to wrap my head around why I’m not losing weight. But maybe I should give that a try…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at a stall as well, it's like after 4-6 weeks your body adjusts and tries to hang onto the weight we want to lose. I did all of the above and stepped up my exercise and started losing again. I'm close to 3 months, and down 30 # since sleeve surgery, total down 48# since March.

Hardest thing to remember is losing weight slower versus all at once is better for you, and it will happen in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/14/2022 at 16:15, Arancini said:






Did you also reduce portion size?

I’m not really eating much new foods (like you I’ve become super sensitive to what I like) but my portion sizes have definitely gone up. I’m still in a huge caloric deficit so I’m struggling to wrap my head around why I’m not losing weight. But maybe I should give that a try…


Yes. I found myself eating larger portions and feeling hungry all the time. So when I went back to what I described, the hunger completely went away and I get full as I did immediately post surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ann2472 said:

I was at a stall as well, it's like after 4-6 weeks your body adjusts and tries to hang onto the weight we want to lose. I did all of the above and stepped up my exercise and started losing again. I'm close to 3 months, and down 30 # since sleeve surgery, total down 48# since March.

Hardest thing to remember is losing weight slower versus all at once is better for you, and it will happen in time.

This is my second stall so far. The first one was around 3 weeks. I felt incredibly nauseous and couldnt go to the bathroom. It was bad! But then from one day to the next it just clicked and the weight was falling off. So far I’ve lost 61lbs with my surgery having been on the 28th of September. But now since 4 weeks that hasnt chaged at all and I’ve been stuck.

I hear you on having to be patient! I will admit I do struggle with this but having people to talk to really helps. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Letseeaboutthis said:

Yes. I found myself eating larger portions and feeling hungry all the time. So when I went back to what I described, the hunger completely went away and I get full as I did immediately post surgery.

Well, that settles it! I’ll give this a try and hope for the best :)

Thank you for your feedback!! Glad to know I’m not the only one 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in! Howdy!

This month has been alright. Met with my PCP the day after my 3 month follow up with my surgeon. Everyone is pleased with my progress and I'm on the right track.

My menu has been opened up to "normal" foods for the last month, but I've yet to come across foods that don't agree with me (just have to have food or a shake before Vitamins or else ugh).

I've definitely lost more than I've ever lost on any previous weight loss program (max was always 35lbs) and every day I'm amazed at how I've adapted to making this a true lifestyle change. With prior programs, there was always that moment I could just get off track and stay there. With this, I am linked to my surgeon's office through Baritastic (so they have access to my food logs) which adds an extra layer of accountability. I'm also self-pay, so I have a lot of skin in the game riding on this. I'm on a pretty regimented schedule for intake because I can only do 4-6oz of stuff at a time and that stuff is usually something that is going to help me meet my daily goals.

As I get closer to 250, which is about my lowest weight as an adult, I can't help but be a little nervous... like "What if I get stuck there and can't push past it?" Ridiculous thoughts, but still acknowledging they're there.

I've found my area's support groups to be a major help. It really helps with getting my headspace in check and thinking about things from different perspectives.

I've also seen performance increases in my gym. I've been regularly working out (5-6 days a week) since being cleared for it and at Orangetheory this past month for both benchmarks, I PR'd. On the 200m row, I went from 40.65 seconds to 40.1 seconds. On the 1 mile benchmark (3 miles on strider for me), I went from 7:39 to 7:14 shaving a total of 25 seconds off my time. Things feel easier in a smaller body than I had before.

Anyway, that's a long post, but this is the month where I'm finally feeling that "It's finally happening," feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in, how are my October surgery friends doing? Pretty good here, just got back from a road trip with hubby, I told myself I'd stick to my plan and I did, with lots of activity since the warm weather cooperated. Now I'm weighing 201 & excited bc for many years I had a goal of getting to 200 that I was never able to meet. Hopefully everyone is doing well. Only one more month until 6 and for me that means I can eat without food restrictions. Just in time for spring and summer veggies and a little fruit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're close to the end of 7 months out from October. I'm officially 100lbs down from a year ago (80ish PO). There's been a bit of a fast track kick start in my weight loss right now and I'm kind of just riding the wave (my start felt fairly slow, so I'm fine with it). I'm currently in the 220s- which I haven't seen since senior year of high school. I'm less than 50 from the big goal that makes everybody happy (surgeon, PCP, etc)- at 180lbs. This is my freshman year high school weight (how my PCP determined my goal) and the weight at which my surgeon expects I can maintain long-term.

My BMI's top range is about 135, but as someone who likes to lift, I'm fine at a weight anywhere between 135-180, to be honest.

As I get closer to this reality of meeting or surpassing 180, I may choose to lower my official target (for maintainence mode purposes). It's still a ways away, but just something on my mind lately!

Hope all my October 2021 people are doing well in y'all's journies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×