Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

Is it possible we can binge eat

Sent from my U307AS using BariatricPal mobile app

Not for me. I can't eat more than a couple of ounces of solids without feeling immense pressure in my chest. I'm not only forced to eat sloooooowly (or else lol) and a little bit. The food party in my head is where it stays. 😂

If you wanted to binge on something like ice cream or cake or something that goes down easily you could probably do it. It might make you sick but you could do it. You can also graze...and that's why most people gain their weight back according to my doctor. But with dense foods like steak or chicken or other Proteins you are going to feel your restriction before you could binge or it's probably going to come back up if you ignore your cue to stop or you are going to feel miserable for a while! I would just stick to your guidelines and not challenge them, they are there for a reason.

If you feel like this is an issue for you, it's best to talk with a therapist who specializes in bariatric issues. See if your surgery center can recommend someone. Good luck!

18 hours ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

Is it possible we can binge eat

Sent from my U307AS using BariatricPal mobile app

Your profile says you are pre op, if this is correct and you are asking can you binge eat after surgery because you feel you might want to maybe dont have the surgery as you will be upset that you cant.

You have a window of time after surgery where you literally could not binge eat even if you wanted to. But that is time you NEED to be spending getting your impulse to binge eat under control, because if you don't, when the restriction eases and you can binge eat once again, you'll gain weight again.

1 hour ago, vikingbeast said:

You have a window of time after surgery where you literally could not binge eat even if you wanted to.

I SEMI-disagree with this statement.

You absolutely CAN binge eat if you wanted to, but you will likely bring it all back up (though for some, they can actually keep it down)

As others have alluded to above, OP may want to seriously consider some sort of counselling if this is an issue. The surgery only limits your stomach capacity. It doesn’t limit your ability to physically put food in your mouth, or chew, or swallow….

Good Luck! ❤️

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

I SEMI-disagree with this statement.

You absolutely CAN binge eat if you wanted to, but you will likely bring it all back up (though for some, they can actually keep it down)

As others have alluded to above, OP may want to seriously consider some sort of counselling if this is an issue. The surgery only limits your stomach capacity. It doesn’t limit your ability to physically put food in your mouth, or chew, or swallow….

Good Luck! ❤️

That's a much more correct way of stating what I was trying to say... you can eat it, but chances are pretty good you'll just herff it back up. And when my pouch gets full, it sends me a very painful reminder that it's full—it feels like chest pains.

Keep pressing the limits and the limits will expand. "Grazing" is a way some bingers have used to get around limits until the limits are expanded.

For some folks the compulsion is greater than the discomfort and herffing. I've known a couple of folks that managed it, pushing though discomfort, pain, and herffing.

Being a former binge eater ("if one is good twelve is better") I'm glad I learned I wanted to binge less than suffer and herff. It took an amazingly few encounters with my limit to convince me to stop encountering my limit. I'm not sure I'd have asked for help if I didn't learn. :(

"Herff" is todays favorite word.

Good luck,

Tek

Now thinking about it. It is possible with slider foods like ice cream, chips and more. I was thinking of my normal RNY choices (e.g. protein) where it is virtually impossible.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app