Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't know what I should be doing

Hi all I had my bypass 23rd August they phoned me up on 29th July to say I had to have pre OP and then start my liquid diet I had it done at stoke university hospital and only had a phone call to see if ì was doing ok so finally got in touch with the Dietician this week who didn't know were I'd be having my follow ups done then got a call back to say I was under a different hospital so have to wait till Monday to phone to see what stage I should be at I've just been doing the 2nd stage any advice will do hope your all keeping well

Didn’t your Surgon give you any instructions?
Does your insurance have a dietitian you can speak with? Mine did & she called me weekly during the 1st month.
You should only be having broths & stained cream Soups the 1st week. Make sure you stay hydrated but DO NOT drink any carbonated beverages, no sweet beverages, no caffeine & no sugar.

If you had surgery Aug 23 that means you are more than a month post op and you have had no guidance from your surgical team? That is unacceptable. I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning asking lots of questions! Did you read the booklet? Sometimes I need verbal explanations even after I read things. It is acceptable to ask for clarification of what you read.

Oh, that’s appalling. Can’t believe you haven’t had a post surgery appointment with your surgeon yet. Get on the phone & starts demanding some information, guidance & support & an appointment. I saw my surgeon two weeks after surgery (to the day), dietician early in week 4, GP in week 5 & the surgeon & dietician in week 6.

I was given information pamphlets from my surgeon & dietician and the surgeon gave me a great hard cover reference book about all bariatric surgeries, the pre & post surgical stages & recipes.

16 hours ago, Jue said:

Hi all I had my bypass 23rd August they phoned me up on 29th July to say I had to have pre OP and then start my liquid diet I had it done at stoke university hospital and only had a phone call to see if ì was doing ok so finally got in touch with the Dietician this week who didn't know were I'd be having my follow ups done then got a call back to say I was under a different hospital so have to wait till Monday to phone to see what stage I should be at I've just been doing the 2nd stage any advice will do hope your all keeping well

You need information quick, So much stuff is not getting done because of Covid in this country. You will need to be proactive and wade through the receptionists. Start with your own doctors surgery, Other options are ringing the hospital you had your surgery and ask for your surgeons secretary. Be insistent and say you have been left without follow up treatment or information. Last option ? Call 111.

You should always be given a 6 week follow up appointment when you leave hospital. Covid is no excuse

Thank you I will do hope I get somewhere don't get me wrong the staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for you

Finally I got in touch with the hospital I'm under and now awaiting a appointment the Dietician explained everything to me so now I'm sorted thank you all for your feedback

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I can't imagine going through this alone. There is no excuse! The one person was right. Everything is falling through the cracks because of covid and the lack of medical help. I hope you find your answers and don't take no for an answer! You deserve help and guidance. We're on here for emotional support, but that's not going to take the place of professional, medical help. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app