Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month post Op update

Its hard to believe it’s been 6 months since I “went under the knife”. What a 6 months it has been. From nervousness to excitement, from regret to happiness. The emotions have been all over the board. It definitely hasn’t been easy and it’s really only just began.

I wanted to share a little of my journey thus far for folks that are considering the surgery, just had the surgery or anybody else that can relate or possibly get/stay motivated.

Like most, the beginning was very difficult. I did a ton of research before the surgery. I thought I was prepared. But as the old adage goes, “you don’t know until you do it”. I struggled with drinking enough water/fluids, not getting enough Protein, feelings of despair as I could only eat a tiny amount of food, total regret of having the surgery and wanting to call up Doc Brown to see if I could borrow the Delorean to go back in time. But around the 6 week mark, it seemed that everyday my attitude got a little better. I started to walk a little bit to clear my mind. I started just walking around the block. It’s about all I could do and I was a little paranoid of doing too much (silly in hindsight). I tried to really stay focused on sticking to the plan and just taking each day as it was and not look into the future. I started incorporating fish into my diet and nuts and I started walking around the block twice. I just kept telling myself that things will get easier. And before too long, they did.

Fast forward to today and I’ve lost 164 lbs. I’ve lost 33% of my highest body weight. My BMI has gone from 58.3 to 38.9. I’m now walking 5 miles at a time, about 5 days a week. I eat mostly fish, salads, veggies and nuts. I actually eat carbs and some stuff that they probably don’t want me to but it’s limited and I’m burning so many calories exercising that I can handle some extra calories and not worry about it. I think I’m most proud of the fact that I’ve consistently lost weight every single week except in week 3 (seems like this is the week everybody tends to stall). I’ve learned to give myself a little credit instead of giving it all to the surgery. The procedure definitely deserves most all of the credit but I wouldn’t be where I’m at now had I not stuck to the plan, pushed myself to stay mentally strong and built a routine of exercise. Giving myself that little bit of credit has helped me in so many ways.

I’m still about 80 lbs from my goal. I have a long way to go to get to that goal and of course even longer for a lifetime commitment to being healthy. I know whoever reads this has heard the line “if I can do it, anybody can”. I hate to use that but it’s so true. I used to lack motivation to get out of my Laz-E-Boy to even walk around the block. To put down the soda, stop eating a large pizza by myself, fries, Chinese food, burgers,wings, you name it. I found something inside me that clicked to get curious about the surgery. Then to actually go thru with it. Then to implement and execute the plan to improve my life. I wish I could say that I’m 110% confident that I’ll never gain weight again. That I’ll never binge eat again or go off the rails. I’m confident right now that I’m fully committed to a new lifestyle. I’m only 6 months in. I’m still not even that hungry. I can still only eat a little bit. At some point, those things will change. But I know that I never want to go back to what I was. I haven’t changed as a person in the last 6 months. But my attitude, goals and purpose has. For that I’m grateful.

I wish all who reads this much success in your journey. Know that it will be different from mine and all others that you come across. There will be many similarities but your journey is your own just as mine is for me. If I can do it, anybody can. 👊🏼🏼

I hear you, I was in the military for ten years, size 33 waist after that, then I got married, had kids, and got a job traveling, everywhere you went, everyone would tell you there favorite restaurant, and of course it was a expense account, so you got what ever you wanted, my weight started going up and up, then when I hit 55 the weight jumped,

Then I quit smoking and wow it jumped again, which caused me to get lower spinal stenosis. hurts like hell to walk 80 feet, one Dr said its because of the weight,

after a failed back surgery, I had to do something again to walk, so I had the gastric sleeve.

no real weight gold, just want to be able to walk.

Congratulations! With your change in attitude and commitment to a new lifestyle you should be successful for life. I think a lot of this is "soul searching." You need to figure out how you got to the WLS point...it was lots of sugar for me...and change the things that got you there! I too committed to a new active lifestyle and worked hard and have never regretted it! No donut or cake or candy is going to ever control my life again! Sugar addiction will never steal the happiness I feel today!

This is so inspiring! I hope those last pounds leave you ASAP. I have surgery scheduled for 11/9. Reports like this make me hopeful for the future. All the best to you!

You are doing awesome. Congratulations.

How amazing your progress is! Congratulations!

My curious questions are, how long does it take you to walk the five miles? Are you doing it out in the real world or on a treadmill?

That's amazing. You must feel like a new man. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

13 hours ago, roadman1122 said:

I hear you, I was in the military for ten years, size 33 waist after that, then I got married, had kids, and got a job traveling, everywhere you went, everyone would tell you there favorite restaurant, and of course it was a expense account, so you got what ever you wanted, my weight started going up and up, then when I hit 55 the weight jumped,

Then I quit smoking and wow it jumped again, which caused me to get lower spinal stenosis. hurts like hell to walk 80 feet, one Dr said its because of the weight,

after a failed back surgery, I had to do something again to walk, so I had the gastric sleeve.

no real weight gold, just want to be able to walk.

Yes, u figure out that you gotta get to it. Good luck! 👊🏼

12 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Congratulations! With your change in attitude and commitment to a new lifestyle you should be successful for life. I think a lot of this is "soul searching." You need to figure out how you got to the WLS point...it was lots of sugar for me...and change the things that got you there! I too committed to a new active lifestyle and worked hard and have never regretted it! No donut or cake or candy is going to ever control my life again! Sugar addiction will never steal the happiness I feel today!

Yes, agreed. Soul searching is the correct way to describe it. It’s quite the journey and it’s only just began! Thank you for the positive words! 👊🏼

12 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Congratulations !

Thank you!

9 hours ago, ymn said:

This is so inspiring! I hope those last pounds leave you ASAP. I have surgery scheduled for 11/9. Reports like this make me hopeful for the future. All the best to you!

Thank you! Good luck on your surgery and journey. It won’t be easy but I believe if you stick to the plan and stay mentally strong, it’ll be more than worth it. 👊🏼

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

You are doing awesome. Congratulations.

Thank you! 👊🏼

1 hour ago, laurenantics said:

How amazing your progress is! Congratulations!

My curious questions are, how long does it take you to walk the five miles? Are you doing it out in the real world or on a treadmill?

Thank you! I’m walking at a 15 min mile. So it takes me about 75 mins. I own a treadmill but I walk 99% outside. I’ve found the key is to go on different routes. I sometimes walk downtown, around our park, around my neighborhood or the high school track. I’ve found that walking does wonders for me and not just the calorie burn. I put on my music and just get mental clarity. I highly suggest it if you’re able.