Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return to work?

I haven't had surgery yet but when talking with my surgeon they originally suggested 2 weeks and 7 days off of work minimum. I explained that I work from work and am not on phones or required to be at my computer at all times leaving me freedom to get up walk around, drink, etc... They seemed to be ok with that but still emphasized how important it is to take time off work to get accustomed to the new you and rest.

I was back to work in 7 days. I have a desk job and no physical requirements other than sitting on my ass. I did make sure I got up atleast hourly and took a 10 minute walk around the office and warehouse to keep things moving. I did wear compression stockings for a couple weeks after I started back to work.

I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two. I had a desk job.

I had surgery on Monday and returned to work on Thursday. I do have a desk job and did work from home on Thursday and Friday of that first week. Truth be told, although I did get some things accomplished, I didn't feel great and wished I had just taken the full week off. Week two was fine for me, once I got off the liquid diet.

Edited by Losefly

This is going to vary so much from person to person because everyone’s recovery is different. I am not working right now but if I did i probably could have gone back the same week. I was one of the lucky ones that had very little pain post op but for whatever reason some people have a great deal of pain and it lasts for days or even weeks. I would plan on longer but discuss with HR the option to go back sooner if you feel up to it. Half days may be a good option when you do go back cause the one thing everyone seems to say is how tired they are after surgery. I took lots of naps.

I had surgery on 8/31 and start work again on Monday. I really didn’t think I would need 4 weeks but I have to say starting at week 2 I have low energy and need to nap a bit. I am hopeful now that my diet is more varied and I can get Protein from a variety of sources that I will perk up. But as far as pain and recovery I think you can go back in a week.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and took that week and the next week off. I could've gone back but I get tired easily even though I have energy. I'm glad I took two weeks. Three weeks would have been de trop.

I work construction and hard labor I waited until the mrs. Annoyed me and c ouldnt take it now more. 3 weeks. And didn't do n o climbing of scaffold for 3 weeks after returning. Desk job I would have went back after a week get a routine down first health before work

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Physically I could have gone back to work after a week (desk job), but I found that the first week(s) it’s quite hard to get your Water in AND figure out some kind of eating schedule, so I was very happy with the 3 weeks I took.

I work from home taking phone calls. My Dr gave me 3 weeks off and I took one week off pto. I had extreme dizziness, and it finally cleared up this week. I'm 4 weeks po and just started back to work 2 days ago. I don't have pain but I have no energy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I took three weeks - have had a painless recovery but struggled to get Water in and meet my Protein goal so I was very sluggish and dizzy. I did do two half days near the end to tackle my inbox because the idea of it was stressing me out!

I still havent gone back to work 10 weeks po, but i have had mental heath issues to deal with and had/having really hard time eating and getting enough fluids in so i have been feeling miserable and fatigue quickly, everyone is different and heal at different rates.