Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is scheduled for 10/21!

Hello! I am new here and will be having Gastric Sleeve on October 21. I am incredibly excited to start this new journey. I am 28 days from surgery and already starting preparations to quit caffeine. I'm also cleaning out the pantry and refrigerator. Are there any other suggestions?

start stocking up on Protein powders like Premeir Protein. You will go through a lot of that between pre op diet and after surgery. I would also stock up on Bone Broth for sipping that first couple weeks after surgery. It goes down nice and has protein in it. A nice break from plain Water.

11 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

start stocking up on Protein powders like Premeir Protein. You will go through a lot of that between pre op diet and after surgery. I would also stock up on Bone Broth for sipping that first couple weeks after surgery. It goes down nice and has protein in it. A nice break from plain Water.

What is the best Protein Powder? I have been having some difficulty finding affordable protein that is gluten free/ dairy free.

My son is vegan and he uses Owyn. You can get it on Amazon. It is vegan Protein so it is not the milk based whey protein. He says the taste is good, so it is worth a shot. I have not tried the vegan protein as I have been able to tolerate the milk based.

Do you have smaller plates/bowls/flatware? They're not necessary, but can help you not feel deprived by small post-op portions. I bought some 2 oz. souffle cups and 4 oz. bowls for food storage, too. It's like a little girl's tea party took over my kitchen. 😊

I have smaller plates and flare ware on my list of things I need to buy!

6 hours ago, hopeainsley said:

What is the best Protein Powder? I have been having some difficulty finding affordable Protein that is gluten free/ dairy free.

Don’t stock up too much. Some of our tastes change after surgery. especially when it comes to sweet things.

And try different bone broths before you buy a lot of one...I bought too many of a couple of brands and they were terrible! Had to get rid of them. And ShoppGirl is right...my tastes changed a lot after surgery, so get only what you think you will need the first week or so. Good Luck!

Do you all mix Protein powder with the Bone Broth? I’ve been looking for unflavored protein powder, but haven’t seen it anywhere. What do you recommend?

costco might have the Protein powder at a lower cost. Orgain brand makes dairy free powder. I bought some for my son who has a problem with lactose, but later discovered that I could have purchased isolated whey protein because it doesn’t usually cause lactose problems.

11 hours ago, ymn said:

Do you all mix Protein Powder with the Bone Broth? I’ve been looking for unflavored Protein powder, but haven’t seen it anywhere. What do you recommend?

GENEPRO is on Amazon.

I wish my tastes had changed after surgery, but they did not. I still can't stand Protein powder (it's the texture - I only like pre-mixed shakes) and I still love sweets.

I have tried the vegan shakes, but they are very gritty to me.

If you have a dairy allergy, those will likely be your only option, as the others (including the two most popular unflavored options - Isopure and genepro) are whey isolate. However, if you are just lactose intolerant, you are likely to be able to use the whey protein isolate, as it is lactose free. I like the fairlife nutrition plan shakes the best. Those are lactose and gluten free but NOT DAIRY free.

Please note that a LOT of brands made with whey isolate will say "dairy free" but obviously, they are not dairy free (for example, Muscle Milk).

Good luck!

On 9/23/2021 at 1:11 PM, hopeainsley said:

What is the best Protein Powder? I have been having some difficulty finding affordable Protein that is gluten free/ dairy free.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, Tony B - NJ said:

My son is vegan and he uses Owyn. You can get it on Amazon. It is vegan Protein so it is not the milk based whey protein. He says the taste is good, so it is worth a shot. I have not tried the vegan protein as I have been able to tolerate the milk based.

I follow a vegan, plant based diet. I use the Owyn pre-made, which taste pretty good and is my favorite. I also just started using the Orgain Plant Protein, creamy chocolate, it's not too bad. They both had 20g of protein.