Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week pre-surgery diet

For some reason I want a list of the liquid diet allowed foods for my 2 week pre surgery diet. I think I want to test different flavors, etc, and know what's allowed and what isn't. To prepare myself. My "coach" says Ill get it at my nutrition meeting, which isn't for a month. Anybody?

Pretty basic really. Clear Protein, Protein Shakes, Bone Broth with protein, chicken or beef broth, Water, gatorade zero, sugar free pudding or Jello, pretty much it....

They can't really be considered food, but sugar-free popsicles are an enjoyable treat for me.

8 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Pretty basic really. Clear Protein, Protein Shakes, Bone Broth with Protein, chicken or beef broth, Water, gatorade zero, sugar free pudding or Jello, pretty much it....

I don't think sugar-free pudding counts as a "clear liquid". It's a soft liquid.

Just now, Sunnyway said:

I don't think sugar-free pudding counts as a "clear liquid". It's a soft liquid.

According to my team it was fine.

My pre op allows 1/2 cup oatmeal, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello, and unsweetened apple sauce as Snacks. Protein Shakes for the meals. Will probably use premier and fairlife for the shakes. I bought some isopro fruit punch Protein to try with Water in case I get sick of the shakes.

13 hours ago, ymn said:

My pre op allows 1/2 cup oatmeal, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello, and unsweetened apple sauce as Snacks. Protein Shakes for the meals. Will probably use premier and fairlife for the shakes. I bought some isopro fruit punch Protein to try with Water in case I get sick of the shakes. 

Bravo! Those Snacks aren't going to lead you to binging. :) Much better to use these than the so-called Keto snacks or Protein Bars (which are no better than candy bars). I don't care if bariatric sites sell low-cal/low-carb snack food, they are not good for us because we are too prone to binging, snacking, and grazing.

Good luck with the Isopro fruit punch.I don't like it at all. I can tolerate it only if I mix it with sugar-free lemonade or flavored water. You might do better to add unflavored Protein Powder to Water flavored with Wyler's, Crush, Sunkist flavor packets.

Try some plant based Protein Drinks, too, I prefer them to whey-based. Orgain and Purely Inspired are brands like but there are others,

I was on a 10 day clear liquid diet so it is different than a regular liquid diet. I found this on the net and it is a good source for your liquid diet.

"The 1-2 week pre-op diet will include the following elements:

• Protein Shakes or Meal Replacement shakes will be the diet’s primary component.
  • Only sugar-free beverages are allowed (sugar substitutes are okay).
  • No caffeinated or carbonated beverages are permitted.
  • Soup broth with no solid pieces of food may be consumed.
  • V8 and vegetable juice are acceptable.
  • Extremely thin cream of wheat or cream of rice may also be eaten.
  • One or two daily servings of lean meat and/or vegetables might be okay, but only if they are approved by your surgeon or registered dietician."

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-bypass-diet-guide/#pre-op

Are Soup broth and Bone Broth considered the same for the pre diet? I plan to ask at my pre op appt, but just wondering. I’m going to check my local GNC for unflavored Protein powder so I’ll have more flexibility with flavors.

2 minutes ago, ymn said:

Are Soup broth and Bone Broth considered the same for the pre diet? I plan to ask at my pre op appt, but just wondering. I’m going to check my local GNC for unflavored Protein Powder so I’ll have more flexibility with flavors.

From what I understand, as long as there are no bits and pieces, both are fully accepted. On my clear liquid diet which is more strict (I hated it lol), Bone Broth was encouraged. My favorite Protein is GENEPRO. I even use it in my coffee lol.

Edited by Tomo

My pre-op was 3 VLCD Protein Shakes a day, and I had to have 2 cups of low carb/non starchy vegetables, which could be prepared as salad, Soup, stir fry (soy sauce was allowed), or a stew. I made a huge pot of vegetable stew that got me through. All spices and herbs were allowed, so I was free to make it tasty.

It was meant to be an Opti-fast pre op diet, but I can't have Opti-fast so this was my dietician's vegan workaround.

Every surgeon requires a different pre-op diet. Mine wasn’t even a liquid diet, just Protein based. I had to buy a ‘Bariatric box’ that included things like chicken nuggets, bread, pancakes, Soups and Desserts. I had to eat 6 meals a day and every meal was different. It was absolutely awesome. I was never hungry (even though the meals were only 80-100 kcal per meal) and most things tasted really good. But like I said, every surgeon has his own pre-op diet. My surgery was in Belgium.

Hi! I am in my 2nd pre op diet stage right now. My surgery (roux ny gastric bypass) is next Wednesday. Right now I can have 4 Protein Shakes a day plus broth, sf Jello and sf popcicles. What has got me through is being creative with flavors. I have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry whey Protein isolate and I use sf pudding mix and/or sf syrups to add flavor. My favorite combination is strawberry with 1Tbsp sf cheesecake pudding mix, it is bomb!

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using BariatricPal mobile app

My "full liquids" was much like Tony B - NJ's, plus I am allowed to have kefir, Greek yoghurt, and skyr as long as it's not fatty and not got much sugar in it.

Your preop diet may be all liquid but mine was 14 days of low calories with 2 days liquid. I was allowed meat, cheese and veggies on mine. Best to just wait and see what your clinic provides material wise to start.

Edited by ShoppGirl