Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told using straws *may* contribute to excess air being swallowed into ur belly, which can cause discomfort in some.

With that said, i used a straw for the first time post op at around 3 weeks. No issues for ME.

I don’t really use straws much but when I do/did, I had no adverse effects.

Your mileage may vary.

If u can do without, just pass on the straws…better for the environment and avoid any possible issues. Up to you, though. You’ll likely find out pretty quickly is you are one of the ones who get affected.

Good Luck! ♥️

YESSS I WAS WAITING FOR THIS THREAD!!
lol I’m kidding but this whole notion of no straws drives me absolutely bonkers. most of this I’ve said before (like 94% of my posts) but….

Your stomach doesn’t suck (as in create a vacuum). Your mouth creates the negative pressure needed to draw Fluid up a straw. Your stomach doesn’t have anything to do with it. You can prove this very simply (and don’t worry, you’re not even going to swallow the Water in this exercise).
Take a sip of water from a cup. Don’t swallow it. Just let it sit there. There is now water on the bottom of your mouth and some air up top (even if you try to void all the air out there is still some there). Now spit the water out. Now take a similar amount of water into your mouth via a straw, and again don’t swallow. Just let it sit there… is it really any different than the water you took in via a cup? You can still void out most of the air in your mouth like before. Now spit it out. At no point was your stomach involved in this. Yet we find countless examples online of experts saying things about straws and swallowing air. What actually matters is how you swallow and this applies to eating and drinking (with or without straws). Drinking or eating too fast is the most common reason for swallowing too much air.. we’ve all done it, gulping drinks or wolfing down food… but you can control that independently of whatever utensil or device you use to put stuff in your mouth. That’s what doctors should be telling us (and in fairness most do). Slow it down, take our time, chew food thoroughly, have purpose to our eating and drinking etc… and with those behaviors the amount of air we swallow will naturally be reduced (reduced not eliminated).

When I think of that I think of when I was a teenager and trying beer for the first time. A friend of mine told me to try drinking beer with a straw because you will get fucked up faster. He said it was because you don't take in as much air with the straw which seemed like it made sense since the straw is submerged in the beer and you create a closed system by sucking the beer into your mouth. As long as you don't take a breath and open your mouth mid suck, the air doesn't get in. That is my theory based on absolutely no science from a teenage buddy 40 years or so ago.

I find I swallow more air not using a straw, and that using a straw is much more comfortable. I started using one a few weeks after surgery. If it had caused discomfort, I would have stopped.

I *can* use straws. I rarely do due to environmental concerns, but I do sometimes, like if I'm driving. I avoided them for the first few months out, but I have no problem with them.

Edited by catwoman7

I am going to ask my dr about straws at my next appt. I am six months out and haven’t tried it yet but I really miss my tervis cups with the lid and straws. I have my appt coming up in a couple weeks. Will keep you posted on their take on using them a while post surgery.

I used my tumbler a ss straw shortly after surgery. No issues. It was easier for me to get all my Water in using the straw, then drinking from a glass...and honestly, it still is. Good Luck!

p.s. you can get stainless steel straws at any camping store or online. easy to clean and environmentally friendly.

Edited by Luna Girl

I used a straw at 2 weeks with no issue.

Current surgeon says after 3 months but I have already a few times. It causes me to burp but it is no biggy. Could be the straw. I have a steel straw, and it is super super narrow.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

There’s nothing wrong with straws despite what most bariatric surgeons will tell you. The info is very outdated and incorrect. For further proof, I’ve been using a straw since roughly 6wks post surgery with zero issues. I’m currently 90lbs down at 5 months out.