Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I weigh over 600 lbs what advice you give me statred my weight loss jounery

5 hours ago, FootballMom92 said:

We all start at the same point. It doesn't matter what you weigh. That last pound is too much for ourselves. We give ourselves a chance to change our eating habits by having bariatric surgery. What would you like advice about ?

A nutritionist/dietitian and a therapist are extremely helpful in a weight loss journey. The nutritionist/dietitian helps set you up with a diet plan and helps get you into better eating habits prior to surgery so it's not such a drastic change once you actually HAVE the surgery. The therapist helps you work through if you have disordered eating (such as binging) or if you're going through some other stuff in your life such as depression, stress, anxiety, etc (which are known to add to weight gain).

Weight loss is never easy and one of the most difficult things is finding support in those you live with. You'll be on a special diet and it'll be easier on YOU if those you live with aren't bringing in the things you used to eat which would tempt to cheat on your diet. Try and talk it out with them and stress how important to you it is that they don't bring junk food into the house. Willpower is such a difficult thing. I admit, that if I hadn't developed a wheat allergy after surgery what would have ruined me is the junk food that my family brings into the house. Because of my wheat allergy, I can't eat that food. Nor can I get fast food (of which they eat a LOT). So the wheat allergy is a blessing. A sucky as hell blessing, but a blessing none the less lol (there is only a 3% chance of developing a wheat allergy or Celiac's Disease after your surgery. So chances are you'll be fine. My luck just sucks. Well, maybe not, because I really do consider the allergy a blessing in disguise as it keeps me on track and stops me from cheating as I, quite literally, have to keep track of every little thing I eat and the ingredients in what I put into my mouth).

I agree with @NovaLuna.You have to work with a nutritionist and therapist and get support from whomever is bringing you food. I think you mentioned in another post that you were limited to your bed, so someone must be bringing you food. Try to track your food by weighing/measuring everything you eat and limit carbs and increase Protein to keep you full on fewer calories. Don't drink regular soda and if possible, stop diet soda because after surgery you won't be able to drink carbonation. Try to only have drinks with no calories (except maybe drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast or something).

But really, even if you work with a nutritionist and therapist, it's a life long commitment and it's not easy!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

I started at over 700 pounds. My advice:

Take everything one step at a time.

Research the available surgeries and keep researching until you find the surgery that best works for you. Know the good, the bad, and the ugly so there are no surprises.

Do not overwhelm yourself.

Follow your plan. Understand your plan. FOLLOW YOUR PLAN. Make your plan your new 'normal.'

Be patient.

Do what you can sustain.

This is for life, for life.

Don't trust advice from the internet, including my advice. Talk to your Medical team.

Good luck,

Tek

Hi Footballmom92!

I think the previous posters gave excellent advice in seeking support from a nutritionist, therapist, & your personal support (family, friends, etc.). Coming to the realization that you might need medical intervention to help you reach your weight loss goals is a big step & can seem overwhelming.

For years I brushed off the idea of getting WLS as I thought I could do it without the surgery. Recently, I realized that it would be very difficult to lose a large amount of weight successfully. If I was successful, I then would most likely have difficulty maintaining the weightloss. Deciding to to this was scary, exciting, & finally brought me some hope at succeeding.

My advice in addition to the previous posters is to research & find a doctor that you feel comfortable with. Also, try to keep your motivation up, as that can be a challenge. Remember your "whys". You may want to look into habit tracking or journaling, if those might help you make the changes you need to in order to get closer to where you want to be. I also found it motivating to watch YouTube videos of people who have gone through WLS. This forum is also a great motivator & outlet for seeking support or advice.

I truly wish you much success in reaching your goals. Please keep us posted on your progress! 🤗🍀