Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know why we shouldn't have coffee?

My doc told me that I would not be able to have caffeine again. I'm okay with dropping soda but I had coffee the other day and I forgot how much life it gives me! Anyone know the reason we shouldn't have it? I'm wondering how hard and fast this rule is? I'm 7 months out of my surgery for reference. I'm thinking one cup in the morning can't be that bad?! Maybe?! My next appointment with my doc isn't for another 5 months.

Interesting... is your doctor prohibiting you from coffee because of your Gastric Sleeve in general, or do you have other health conditions to warrant this?

I am pre-op, but my research indicates that many bariatric surgeons are OK with their patients drinking coffee once they are in the solid food phase. Check out Matthew Weiner on YouTube among others regarding this topic.

My program doesn't have any coffee restrictions. If I wanted to I could've drank coffee up to 2 hours before surgery and right after.

I understood we’re advised to avoid it to begin with because it’s too harsh (acidic) on our healing tummy & it’s more concentrated because our tummy is much smaller. It can also increase the effects of reflux/gerd.

There are many people here who regularly drink coffee & started back at various times. I’ve been a green tea drinker for almost 20 years (because of reflux & the caffeine kept me awake) so it wasn’t an issue for me.

I just had my 1+ year appointment with my nutritionist yesterday. She had no problem with my drinking coffee, but suggested that it not count as part of my daily 48-64 oz liquid requirement, as caffeine is a diuretic. And my labs did show minimal dehydration, so I’m upping my Water intake (but keeping the coffee!).

My program allows coffee. They just ask that you limit it to no more than 2 cups per day. I didn't want any the first couple of weeks but then resumed it after that. Actually, it was even on my meal trays in the hospital. My program also allows straws, many do not.

I drink coffee without issue, have since day two if you count the cafe mocha Protein Drinks, probably day three of real coffee. There are some doctors (in all specialties) who give the absolute safest/healthiest/trendiest advice just because that’s what they do. The reality is caffeine isn’t needed by the body. Any research or study that even remotely indicates a negative association will cause some doctors to put (insert food/drink item here) on their prohibition list just because… it’s like a mechanic who says “get your oil changed every 5000 miles without exception” because technically it is the best/safest advice vs the mechanic who says “it’s honestly fine if you go over a little, just don’t go crazy and get it taken care of soon.” The first is covering his butt so the one in a million customer that has their engine blow up at 5001 miles past the last oil change doesn’t blow a gasket (hah!) and blame them even though it’s not likely connected vs the second who understands the realities of the situation and gives practical honest advise that is more compliant with the busy lives of the vast majority of people.
Many doctors are VERY risk averse due to malpractice lawsuits, some are just exceptionally health conscious on behalf of their patients to the point of being unrealistic, some even misunderstand physics and how the body works (straw prohibition!! Grrrrrr!!).
The real real answer? You’ll almost certainly be absolutely fine drinking coffee. There is a chance you won’t. There is a chance caffeine will cause you health concerns down the road. There is a chance it won’t. Your body doesn’t need it, but you may want it and that’s ok.
Me? Sipping my coffee as I type this long ramble of a mess of a post.

Thank you all for your responses! I'm drinking coffee as I type! Lol. I've never had too bad of a coffee habit. Just 1 cup in the morning gets me through the day. I'm deciding to have it. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Barrr said:

Interesting... is your doctor prohibiting you from coffee because of your Gastric Sleeve in general, or do you have other health conditions to warrant this?

I am pre-op, but my research indicates that many bariatric surgeons are OK with their patients drinking coffee once they are in the solid food phase. Check out Matthew Weiner on YouTube among others regarding this topic.

I dont have preexisting conditions. It was just on my list of prohibited things after a sleeve. But I also remember specifically asking about when I would be able to have caffeine and being told I would no longer be able to have it. So I have just been avoiding all things caffienated. I will def check out that page though. Thanks!

there seems to be no consensus among surgeons re: coffee. Some don't want you to have it ever again in your life (or at least the caffeinated kind), other patients are drinking it in the hospital the day after surgery. Some say to wait a month - or three months - or six months - before having it, and still others say it's OK in small amounts (like one cup a day). So...there you go. I could drink Decaf pretty quickly after surgery - maybe three weeks or so after? - but i had to wait six months for the real stuff. Anyway, I know this isn't helpful - but just know that surgeons are all across the board on this.

Also regarding acidity of coffee/other drinks… the ph of coffee is somewhere between 4-5 (7 is neutral Water, higher numbers are alkaline like baking soda, lye etc). Your stomach produces hydrochloric acid (seriously, the stuff you use to etch concrete) and has a ph of about 1-2. Just for laughs let’s take the average of the stomach (1.5) and the average of coffee (4.5). Every one point on the ph scale is 10 times stronger (or weaker) than the next which means the acid in your stomach is literally 1000 times stronger than the acid in the coffee. it’s not the acidity of coffee that is the problem, it actually dilutes whatever acid is in your stomach….. BUT….. and this is where some people have issues (valid issues)… caffeine can stimulate the secretion of more hydrochloric acid than normal. All foods do this to a certain extent, it’s how our stomach works to break down food and it’s necessary. So yes, there are people who can’t have caffeine without troubling side effects. Most people can. Trying it and seeing how it affects you post op is really the only way you’ll know which category you’ll find yourself in.

My program has no restriction on coffee and I haven’t had any issues with it.

I was always allowed coffee. I’m fact they asked me if I wanted coffee on my lunch/dinner tray the day of surgery. I think it’s because caffeine is a diuretic though.