Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week out of gastric sleeve surgery

It's hard at first but I'm so happy I did it.

I had mine the 14th. I was doing okay (after the initial awful first day) until this morning when I was overcome by massive dizziness. I was out for a run and had to stop and walk back to my house. I called the surgeon and he troubleshot with me, and it turns out my high blood pressure just... resolved itself... but I was still taking the meds, so I had low BP. He told me to eat something salty so I made soupy cream of rice in pho broth, and felt a little better.

That first week is tough! In fact, the first few weeks are a big adjustment. Having feelings like, "What did I do?"😱, came up a few times over those first few weeks.

Recovery from the surgery was smooth for me, but drinking & eating weren't fun or easy. It gets easier & better as you move through the stages of the diet plan & can tolerate more foods & beverages. Seeing success on the scale or with NSVs will also help it all seem worth it.

Right now, I am almost 2 months post op and slightly over 40 pounds down. My clothes are getting baggy. I am able to eat a variety of foods, but know when to stop. I feel like I am in control of my eating for the first time in my life. It is so much easier for me to make better choices & try to practice mindful eating. At this point, this seems to be effective for me & I would do it again. I hope it continues to be a helpful tool in successfully losing weight & maintaining it.

I hope the surgery is successful in helping you achieve your weightloss goals & that you will be pleased with your decision. 😁

Edited by Candace76
Typo

I am almost 2 months post OP from VSG and still regret it even though it’s getting easier to get required Protein and Water level in daily.
l’ve had nothing but pain, and problems since surgery and to top it all off, my surgeon will not listen to my concerns, talks over me and only seems interested in covering himself against a lawsuit. That’s the only reason I can find as to why he’d send me for an upper GI knowing I was already severely dehydrated, and constipated to the point of impaction. The barium caused even worse Constipation, and now I have <TMI Alert> An anal fissure and hemorrhoids because of the strain.
I found out I was overdosing my body with omeprazole (through 23andMe) even at only one pill per day. Apparently my body is slow to metabolize this drug in particular. I don’t blame him for not knowing my body chemistry but I do blame him for not listening to me and identifying the symptoms of overdose.
like I said I’ve had nothing but trouble, and these few things are a drop in the bucket.
I still get nauseated easily, and trying to find foods that are on the list is both time consuming and expensive. People say it will get easier but right now that’s no help. At this point I feel like I’ve traded one issue (obesity) for far more issues (everything that came with VSG surgery).
I know my story is only one, and there are a million others. I sincerely hope someone finds my story helpful. Good luck on your journey.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, MerelyMichelle said:

I am almost 2 months post OP from VSG and still regret it even though it’s getting easier to get required Protein and Water level in daily.
l’ve had nothing but pain, and problems since surgery and to top it all off, my surgeon will not listen to my concerns, talks over me and only seems interested in covering himself against a lawsuit. That’s the only reason I can find as to why he’d send me for an upper GI knowing I was already severely dehydrated, and constipated to the point of impaction. The barium caused even worse constipation, and now I have <TMI Alert> An anal fissure and hemorrhoids because of the strain.
I found out I was overdosing my body with omeprazole (through 23andMe) even at only one pill per day. Apparently my body is slow to metabolize this drug in particular. I don’t blame him for not knowing my body chemistry but I do blame him for not listening to me and identifying the symptoms of overdose.
like I said I’ve had nothing but trouble, and these few things are a drop in the bucket.
I still get nauseated easily, and trying to find foods that are on the list is both time consuming and expensive. People say it will get easier but right now that’s no help. At this point I feel like I’ve traded one issue (obesity) for far more issues (everything that came with VSG surgery).
I know my story is only one, and there are a million others. I sincerely hope someone finds my story helpful. Good luck on your journey.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time after the surgery. Thank you for sharing your story, as those who are also struggling will see that they are not alone, or can see if their complications are similar. It is also good to share your experience because there may be others that have had already gone through what you're going through, and can give you advice. Many people researching the surgery may also interested in hearing about possible complications they might experience. I hope that your complications improve & you are feeling better.

Today is one month from surgery date. I am thrilled with my weight loss. I had been unable to lose any weight in the last decade, despite trying everything under the sun. My surgeon kept me on liquids for the first 3 weeks. I'm now on pureed foods, and am enjoying finding foods I can eat. Tonight I bought some of the Indian foods in a bag that are microwavable, and ate a tablespoon of each with some cauliflower rice. I don't feel deprived because I'm making it work. I puree things in my blender, and everything tastes amazing, lol, (after all those nasty Protein shakes!). I'm really happy with my decision.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app