Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for suggestions - Need to decide to resleeve or bypass

I had my original sleeve done in 2016, went from 290 pre-surgery to 195, felt fantastic, no problems at all, they even invited me to have my picture taken for the doctor's advertising!

Then I had some personal and professional problems and managed to gain EVERYTHING back. I met with my doctor and he recommended revision, which I am scheduled for some time in November, currently getting my clearances. He said after my endoscopy we'd discuss whether to re-sleeve or convert to bypass. He said if my sleeve was still intact it would have to be a bypass, but if it was dilated I could choose. I had my endoscopy last week and the sleeve is indeed dilated so now I have to make a decision.

Another factor is I've had GERD for over 10 years and take esomeprazole daily which helps a lot but I've heard it's not great to take that forever either. I've also heard that bypass usually cures GERD, so that's another consideration.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has either been re-sleeved or converted to bypass so I can have a better understanding of both options before I meet with my doctor again, Thanks!

Last month I converted from vsg to rny. It was the best decision. One, my gerd is gone. I sleep better. We all know how important sleep is when it comes to appetite... Etc. Two, weight loss and restriction are better for me this time around. It was not apparent until I moved to solid foods. I can see why some doctors call it the gold standard. I have zero side effects. I feel the same except I can't eat more that 50g of soft/solid food, and I have to chew it like crazy.

I had avoided rny for so long. I was scared of changing things around in my body. That was a bad decision or of sheer fear. This time, I literally had no choice due to years of gerd. Good luck in your decision. My two cents.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn't a revision, but I chose bypass from the start because I had GERD pre-op. I'm still happy with my decision and i'd make the same choice if I had to make it today. As you said, bypass usually (not always, but usually) greatly improves if not outright cures GERD. Sleeve has about 30% risk of making it worse. I didn't want to take the risk.

I wasn't a sleeve but my insurance only pays for one surgery so I felt I had to make the best decision the first time. I knew there would be no revisions. I finally decided since already had severe GERD the RNY gastric bypass was the right surgery for me. My doctor asked about a DS and I decided I didn't want that. I've never regretted my decision.

I'm so interested in what folks have to say about this. I too had the sleeve and my Gerd disappeared but now 3 yrs later and almost all my weight gained back in the past year due to personal loss that caused depression my Gerd is back worse then ever before. So I've been thinking about revision surgery.

If you have GERD, RNY gastric bypass is the preferred revision. It usually cures GERD.

Thanks for all the comments. The endoscopy revealed that the sleeve was dilatated so I could either be resleeved or convert to bypass. After speaking with my doctor he recommended the bypass because of my GERD, and I took his advice. My surgery is scheduled for 11/17 and I'm excited to restart this journey!

Good choice. GERD is usually resolved by gastric bypass, as is Type 2 Diabetes.

Rny for sure. The malabsorption will be what helps the most. The uninterested in food typically only occurs with your primary surgery. Plus no reflux is great and the dumping syndrome is a great motivator to not eat too much sugar

I'm one year sleeve to RNY conversion for severe GERD. Haven't had an episode of reflux since surgery. I've lost 60 lbs. since RNY and I feel great. Like elp93 mentioned, I also experience dumping (not as bad as I did early on), but it is a GREAT MOTIVATOR to limit dumping triggers like too much sweet, fats and overeating in general.