Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help. What have you done to break stalls early in and slow losing

Help. So depressed been in a stall since week 3 non Monday will enter week 6. Also I think I am a slow loser. What has anyone here done to break the stall and to break the depression?

Stalls are very common & very frustrating. They tend to last 1-3 weeks though can last longer but they do break.

They’re part of the journey. They don’t happen because you’re doing something wrong. Your body goes into a stall because it’s under stress (surgery, change of diet, reduced calories, etc.) & it needs time to come to terms with the changes. (Like when we’re stressed & just want to shut the door & pull the covers over our head for a while.) I had two & never changed a thing just stuck to my plan. I decided my body needed this time out & I didn’t want to stress my body more with further changes. My first stall broke after a week, the second took 2.5weeks just before I reached goal.

You just got to relax & breathe through the frustration. Just keep doing what you’re doing. It will break.

Stalls are normal. They suck. But they're normal. I've had soooooooo many. More than anyone I've ever seen on this site to be perfectly honest. I've had many that lasted in the 20-ish day range, two in the 30-ish day range, and even one that lasted in the 40-ish day range. Currently it's been 31 days since I last lost a pound. Of course, I also have hypothryoidism so... I knew stalls were going to bite me in the ass. All you can really do is eat as you're supposed to and just try and ride it out. You can try adjusting what you're eating if you feel like it will help, but often times all you can do is wait.

Also, most people get their first stall in week 3 post op. There are thousands of posts on it. It's, unfortunately, very common. Hope yours passes soon!

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

stalls happen to almost everyone. Just stick to your program and stay off your scale for a few days. And know that it WILL break. Since it's been almost three weeks, it should break really soon...

as far as being a slow loser, people lose at different rates for all different reasons - age, gender, body composition (% of muscle), genetics, starting BMI, whether or not you lost weight before surgery, etc. The only two factors that you really have any control over are activity level and how closely you stick to your program. If you do well with those two factors, you WILL lose weight, whether fast or slow. I was a slow-loser from the very beginning, and I ended up losing over 200 lbs. So don't give up!

I just got out of a month long stall. It was very unsettling but I just stuck with my plan and it did break. I too am a slow loser. I guess I would’ve preferred to lose it faster but I am 17 pounds from goal (13 from “normal” BMI) and still have no loose skin (possibly due to the slower loss) so try to think of it as a positive.

I'm 4 months post-op sleeve and I have had several stalls. One thing that helps me is not seeing the scale go UP! I stay at the same weight for a couple of weeks and then I might lose a pound. I totally Celebrate that pound and I say, even out loud: "I'll take it!" Reason: I got to this point in my life because I did stupid fad diets and wrecked my metabolism and my body. This is my last chance to get this right. I figure it will take me a year to get to 50 lb weight lost and then another 6 months to a year to get to my goal. But, I WILL GET THERE in the end!

On 9/18/2021 at 8:17 PM, ctsaunde2 said:

Help. So depressed been in a stall since week 3 non Monday will enter week 6. Also I think I am a slow loser. What has anyone here done to break the stall and to break the depression?

When I had surgery I was so large that only my surgeon had a scale on which I could weigh. As a result I could only weigh myself at monthly follow-up appointments.

This turned out to be a blessing in several ways:

• Like most everyone else I'm sure I had stalls but I never saw them;
  • I was forced to trust my plan;
  • I was never tempted to "change it up" because of a number on a scale;

Once I got to a weight that allowed me to weigh on a home scale I weighed myself several times that first day. Hey, it was the first time I could do such a thing in 20 years. The novelty wore off in a week or two and I stopped weighing at home. I had learned I could trust my plan.

At my monthly follow-up appointments I also realized my surgeon didn't focus on weight. In fact, the only time we talked about my weight was when I brought it up. He was interested in how I was doing on the plan, how I was doing mentally, if there were any concerns. I took his cue and have since focused on the same things over the years. I only weigh in at my annual physicals with my PCP.

Bottom line: I didn't know about my stalls, never got depressed behind them, so never had to break either stall or stall depression. I just kept plugging away at my plan.

Get off the scale, it is not your friend.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool