Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after bariactric surgery combined with a fixed hernia surgery can a person walk their well behaved GSD - he needs 2 miles worth of exercise?

What a handsome boy but he is a big strong boy which will be a consideration post surgery. What time frames were you given regarding lifting (includes pulling) heavy items? Usually after abdominal surgery, we’re restricted to only 5-10lbs for the first two weeks, then increasing to 15lbs, then 20lb so you don’t damage your internal stitches & staples but there are variations. Even well trained dogs on leads can suddenly dash or dart or you have to give a tug on the leash to redirect them causing your stitches/staples to be strained or pulled.

Having the energy to go for a 2 mile walk is very individual too lost surgery as we all recover & heal differently.

Best advice is go slowly. Maybe have a friend or family member walk Sven to begin & then you join them but not take him yourself until you’re allowed to lift any weight.

Congrats on your surgery. Whoo hoo!

What a handsome boy! I agree, it all depends on you and how you're healing. I had the sleeve and a hernia repair. I was able to walk a mile within a week of surgery, now post op 3 weeks, I can easily walk 3 miles. You might just break up his walks. Instead of doing 2 miles all together, do half mile increments throughout the day? My surgeon told me I can even start back to Crossfit as long as I feel up to it. She said to just pay attention to your body and if it hurts or you get too fatigued, stop. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

The first day after surgery, I did three 400 m "laps" around my cul-de-sac. It tired me out and I had to stop and burp up all that ridiculous gas they blow into you during laparoscopic surgery.

The second day, I increased to 800 m three times a day.

The third and fourth days, I did 1600 m (a mile) twice a day.

The fifth and sixth days, I did 2.5k (something like 1.5 miles) twice a day.

I see my PCP tomorrow and will see whether I feel up to jogging any of it. I should add that before surgery I was extremely active, worked outdoors, and did CrossFit. So I am no stranger to physical activity.

One thing, as someone who has had large, active, intelligent dogs. They may be well behaved but if they start to pull for any reason you HAVE TO LET GO OF THE LEAD. You cannot allow them to yank you.

Edited by vikingbeast