Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there in the same boat, or who has gone through something similar. I had Lap Band surgery in 2014. Ultimately gained back all my weight and more. After the birth of my youngest daughter, I underwent a revision to Duodenal Switch in August of 2019 at 285 pounds. Over the course of the next 6 months, I also got sober, and ultimately, at this point, I'm down to 130-135, having lost 150 pounds. I was sitting at about 160 pounds in January, and have lost the additional 25-30 since then.

In January of this year, I started struggling with dysphagia. For the most part, I would vomit solid food back up, no matter how slow I ate, if I drank or didn't drink. Protein, veggies, carbs, you name it, I tried to make it work. With Covid and such, it was April of this year before I managed to get an endoscopy, which showed a severe hiatal hernia (which had not been present at the time of my lap band, or my revision surgery). Had that corrected in May, went about 8 weeks of glorious being able to eat again, and then it was like someone slammed on the brakes. Back to being unable to keep solid food down. Worse than before. Many, many days vomiting liquid too. The day I had my most recent endoscopy I was so dehydrated the anesthesiologist ultimately had to do the IV on me, after 3 nurses tried and failed, even with ultrasound. During that procedure, they found that my gastric pouch has a greater than 90 degree turn in it, resulting in the upper part of my stomach being dilated and food being unable to travel back up, in order to go down. I'm having another revision surgery tomorrow to correct the issue. My understanding is it is just a revision of my stomach pouch, which with duodenal switch, is basically similar to the gastric sleeve.

Has anyone else had a revision surgery for medical reasons, while at a normal weight? I've struggled to maintain my weight at 130-135 for the last several months. And by struggled I mean I've been trying not to lose too much more weight. I am definitely down to what I would call a healthy weight on my frame. I'm wearing a size 6 pant, small/medium tops, etc. Any problem areas are really skin based at this point I think, not weight. If anyone has gotten this far, and has in fact had a revision while at a normal weight, what was your diet like after surgery? I'm obviously going to discuss this with my surgeon as well, but all the literature I've been provided with thus far is for weight loss patients. The goal being to keep calories low, protein high, jump start weight loss, all that jazz. I'm just interested in how it will work for me, being as my weight goal is maintenance, not loss.

IMG_9538.JPG

Edited by orangeisyoung
clarify what struggle meant

It sounds to me like the revision is really to correct the "turn" in your pouch so that you can actually digest your food and get adequate nutrition instead of vomiting it back up. That should allow you to eat more so you don't continue to lose weight. Good luck with your surgery and congratulations on your weight loss. You look great in your picture.

Thanks y’all. I was interested if anyone has any experience with the post op diet without weight loss. I’ve been drinking smoothies to try to maintain weight and plan on talking to my surgeon, obviously. I’m just wondering how much of the normal post op liquids to purées to solids phases are for healing/safety versus weight loss. This is technically my third procedure, so I’m kind of an old pro at it, just hoping I might get back to normal eating, so to speak, a little quicker this time. Just impatient probably, haha.

36 minutes ago, orangeisyoung said:

Thanks y’all. I was interested if anyone has any experience with the post op diet without weight loss. I’ve been drinking smoothies to try to maintain weight and plan on talking to my surgeon, obviously. I’m just wondering how much of the normal post op liquids to purées to solids phases are for healing/safety versus weight loss. This is technically my third procedure, so I’m kind of an old pro at it, just hoping I might get back to normal eating, so to speak, a little quicker this time. Just impatient probably, haha.

I was converted from VSG to RNY at my goal weight. I initially loss weight from the surgery because of lack of appetite and stricture. As soon as I could after dilation I went back to my normal calories and eating routine. I bounced back up to my pre revision weight and have maintained close to it for over 2 years.

Edited by GreenTealael

6 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I was converted from VSG to RNY at my goal weight. I initially loss weight from the surgery because of lack of appetite and stricture. As soon as I could after dilation I went back to my normal calls and routine. I bounced back up to my pre revision weight and have maintained close to it for over 2 years.

Thank you! Good to hear. I know it’s a small thing in the grand scheme, I’ve just been on full liquids for like, 9 months pretty much, so I’m ready to move on! 🤪

3 minutes ago, orangeisyoung said:

Thank you! Good to hear. I know it’s a small thing in the grand scheme, I’ve just been on full liquids for like, 9 months pretty much, so I’m ready to move on! 🤪

Probably expect to lose a little right after surgery then gain a little once you’re back on solids and feeling better!
It should balance out (in theory) especially if your surgeon says they expect you to not lose much